“Restaurant at the Queens”

Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 17 October 2011

A very bad lunch time experience.

A major rearrangement of tables around us whilst we ate, Cleaning equipment left out throughout the meal on an adjacent table. Part of the restaurant out of bounds as it was 'laid up for tomorrows breakfast'. Asked for medium to rare beef and it arrived well done. No horse radish or mustard offered with our 3 roast beefs and after 3 requests for it the waitress explained that they had very little horse radish left but to compensate gave us a one pint gravy boat full of English Mustard! We couldn't pay at the table we had to go to reception where the credit card machine worked.

AND AS FOR THE FOOD? AWFUL! One of our party left 70%. The beef was over cooked and the beef was TOUGH.

This was once a great hotel.....whatever has happened?

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank ctwrose
Write a ReviewReviews (1,328)

Reviewed 15 October 2011

I am from the USA. I booked this hotel online when I made my first trip to UK, (an unplanned extension of my trip to France). I wanted something relaxing, centrally located, comfortable and antique. The Queens was perfect. This is an older somewhat quirky property but that is what I loved about it. The very best thing is the wonderful staff! They were so accommodating and helpful. I felt right at home during my four days there. The location is perfect, especially since I did not have a car. I could walk to all the shops, gardens and central town. It is also very close to the bus depot. The meals were a bit pricy but delicious. I booked a rate online that included the buffet breakfast, which I found to be very comprehensive. I also enjoyed a late evening meal in the bar and a tea in the lobby. My room was large, clean, simple and very comfortable. Yes, this is an older hotel and I could often hear the people in the room next door, but everyone settled in early at night and I was never disturbed. I loved the antiques and old photos. If you ask, some of the staff members who have worked there a long time will tell you imteredting stories about the history of the hotel. The central atrium wallpaper is a registered historic landmark. since I did not have a car I hired a taxi driver for one afternoon to tour some of the area villages. I enjoyed a visit to the Sudley Castle and gardens nearby. after a whirlwind trip to Paris and Geneva, this relaxing, charming area and well-situated hotel were just what I needed to wind down and relax. My thanks to all the lovely people who helped me so much (especially when a package I sent to the USA was returned and had to be re-sent after I left). Several people have written that the hotel needs modernizing. I hope it is never changed too much. It speaks to an earlier era and that is it's charm. I also found it to be reasonabley priced. Thank you, everyone at Queens. I hope to return and stay with you again one day. I know I will feel right at home.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Stayed on a Friday evening. On-site car park convenient but expensive. Public rooms very nice, especially conservatory dining room. Dinner was surprisingly good with splendid service. Buffet breakfast less so, ie cool food and out of date yogourt. Initially we had a room on the second floor. This was small, fairly dark and had restricted view due to pillars,canopy and trees. Requested and got a bigger room on the first floor. It was higher with bigger windows, hence brighter and better views. Could be more modern and management should get rid of out-of-date notices (eg please ensure shower curtain is within bath, when curtain has been replaced by a glass screen, confused fire regs). As others have pointed out it was noisy with windows open. Maybe worse on the Friday evening but this must be set against the amazingly convenient position and splendid setting in the heart of this very attractive town. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor, the rooms are lower, the windows are smaller and shaded by a canopy. Treat t...
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Asked for a quiet room, was put above noisy street. No hotel brochure/literature in the room so had to ask for a room service menu at reception. Ordered room service, only part of my order delivered and member of staff then suggested I wait at reception and he'd bring the rest to me there which isn't the point of room sevice. Bed ok but noisy street below meant a bad night's sleep. Wouldn't go there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Carol W, Guest Relations Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

Please rest assured that your comments have been taken very seriously and we have ensured that the necessary action has been taken in order to prevent any re-occurrence of the issues you faced.

As you requested a quiet room you should not have been put in one that was road facing. We have recently employed a new reservationist who in future will make sure requests are given priority.

The standard of service you received with regard to your room service order is not indicative of our usual high performance. If I were to offer reasons for the shortcomings you experienced, they would merely be excuses and I am not willing to do that. We work in a people industry and from time to time things do go wrong. I apologise that on this occasion we have let you, as well as ourselves down.

Thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to my attention

Carol Wright
Duty Manager

Reviewed 19 September 2011

Stayed at the Queens with my partner for a wedding at Pumprooms on the weekend of 16th-18th September 2011.

Didn’t find the hotel particularly easy to find or Cheltenham easy to navigate around with its one way system. One wrong turn off my directions and everything went awry. Was 45mins going round and round asking several people for directions. Good sat nav essential if you don’t know the area!

On first impression, even looking at the exterior façade, it wasn’t quite as I’d hoped. Inside I felt the same. Place just looked more than a little tired for the price charged. Even more so once you got past reception and entered the corridors. We were on the first floor and the carpets, skirtings, firedoors…not 4 star. Felt like a poor guest house really, and I didn’t find that ‘quaint’ or in keeping. Just run down and could be addressed.

The room itself was modern and absolutely fine. Had a nice view to the gardens at the front and shops to the side. Bathroom was good enough size and everything was clean. On that note the cleaner came rapping at our door at 8:15am! I know that was the time as I checked my watch and thought that was a bit early?! My partner got up and put the ‘don’t disturb’ sign on the door after that, but I mean, come on, knocking at your door to get in at that time when you’re on holiday??

Friday we arrived late and not wanting to go hunting for somewhere to eat got a table at the Blanc Brassier to the side of the hotel. Was hungry and looking for something substantial at reasonable prices and this restaurant wasn’t really about that. Another time and another occasion I’d probably enjoy it because it is a nice place with helpful staff, it was just the wrong sort of restaurant for me after an 8hr drive…

Speaking of which one of the reasons I chose the Queens hotel was the secure parking which I’d no problem with the charge (£20 for weekend) because I like to know my car’s safe. No fault of the Queens but I came out to my car on the Sunday morning to find the side scuffed like someone had banged their door open on the side of my car…I really could do without that. My partner wanted me to report it to the hotel but really what could they do? It wasn’t vandalised just some inconsiderate idiot had marked it.

The hotel is in a very nice area, nice shops and a nice garden in front, very central and excellent location.

We didn’t take breakfast there at £15.50pp as it wasn’t included in the room rate. Instead we walked down to a restaurant called Café Rouge and had their breakfast, for two, for £19 – much more reasonable, it’s a nice place to eat too, no greasy spooner!

We were hardly in the hotel, we arrived late and went out immediately to eat and then meet friends, and the next day we had the wedding. I’m just giving my impression of the Queens. The front desk staff were helpful and polite, but like a lot of old hotels it’s faded glory and the place has seen much better days. I wouldn’t say to avoid, if you get a good deal give it a go, but if I ever return to Cheltenham I’d be looking to try somewhere else.

Reviewed 19 September 2011

If your expecting royalty dont go to this hotel!!! We stayed here for one night as a surprise birthday treat. The room smelt of smoke, found cigarette burn complete with hole in the duvet cover. Room was poorly lit and if you looked out the window although the view was pleasant, the pigeon poo left nothing to be desired!!! Only one pillow available on beds, pillow in cupboard ripped so had to ask for a futher one. At breakfast the best thing was the freshly squeezed orange juice. We asked for porridge but not sure what we were given, it certainly wasnt porridge oats!!! be warned!!!

Advised in room that fresh milk was available, ordered it by phone from reception when it finally arrived it was not in a milk jug, but little plastic carton pots!!!! Thought we would go down to the bar for a meal but was told these were only available until 9.30pm when the kitchen closed, no information of this contained on their menu.

Very disappointing and bad value for the price you pay. Will not be returning.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Carol W, Guest Relations Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2011

Please rest assured that your comments have been taken very seriously and the necessary action will be taken with the managers concerend in order to prevent any re-occurrence of the issues you faced.

It is not acceptable to have such lapses in the service we provide. They will take the necessary steps including full staff support and re-training to prevent any further issues.

Thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to our attention.

Carol Wright
Duty Manager

A TripAdvisor Member
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Queen's retains the air of a Victorian hotel. The room we occupied was large and clean and decorated in a classical style. It was very well cleaned and everything we needed was supplied.
There was some confusion on check-in as the hotel had only one guest registered although I had selected 2 online but the receptionist dealt with this promptly. More confusion arose when we reached the dining room (completely different modern decor) and stated that we had booked a wine and dine evening. This was a 5 course taster menu complete with wines. We were seated and given the standard Table d'hote menu to select from. The restaurant manager sorted this out for us and another lady came and described the taster menu courses to us and described the wines to be served. The first course arrived and the lady poured the first wine. That was the last we saw of her. The manager brought the rest of the food but we had to ask for the next wine. The food was very good but was not a tasting menu. It was comprised of 2 starters, a sorbet , a full size main course and a full size dessert. When we checked out in the morning, the invoice contained extra charges for the evening's wine. We queried this and again, the receptionist sorted things out for us. We had the impression that the hotel did not know what was being sold on the web site - maybe a issue for the management team? We would use the hotel again but would stick to a straightforward booking.