“Nice plush hotel, perhaps a little more expected these days”

Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
UK
“Nice plush hotel, perhaps a little more expected these days”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

Stayed at the Queens for two nights in June 2013 with my wife.

First impressions were superb - an imposing and grand building on Imperial Square - very well located for town and clearly one of the prime buildings in Cheltenham. Car parking is immediately adjacent which is a bonus in a place like Cheltenham. Reception area was nice and classy, and the staff friendly.

Whole building very upmarket - wonderful breakfast and sun room with a pleasant atmosphere, and the central stair well with listed wallpaper really needs to be seen. We often avoided the lifts to use it!

We booked a standard Queens size double room (which I believe is their entry level room). We were second floor, and with a hotel of this size and age quite a walk around uneven corridors, through couple more sets of doors etc. That's where the hotel needs a spruce up as the back corridors could not be further from the trappings of the front of house and bar areas. Looking a little shabby.

The room itself though was nice enough, nicely finished, but extremely small. The bed was indeed Queen size (and very very comfortable - a great nights sleep) but filled so much of the room there was little space around it. To sit at the desk and work meant having the back to the chair right up against the foot of the bed, meaning my wife could not get around one side of the bed without me moving.

Our room faced inwards, so a very shabby view of air conditioning outlets. But in a hotel like this not everyone can have a view, and it meant we heard no road noise at all. The rooms also have air con which was a nice bonus as the weather was particularly muggy and humid during our stay.

The bathroom was equally small - WC close to the door and wall, and 3/4 size bath tub which for someone six foot like me was a little uncomfortable. Bathroom was nicely finished though and spotless. My main gripe was the water pressure. Whilst always nice and hot, not much more than a trickle out of the shower, and the bath took an age to fill.

The only meals we ate were breakfast which were superb, though are £10 ahead if booked on arrival, rising to £15 a head if you decide on the morning. I don't like that concept - If I am a paying guest, I think it should be £10 regardless and dont like feeling pressured to pay in advance. Though we did, and for two people, two breakfasts cost me £40 which I think is steep. Add to that a cost of £10 per night for use of the car park and my extras before the bar and room service had already added £60 to my stay. I appreciate that hotel parking is often charged, but what I didn't like was that my car park would be free if I ate in the restaurant. I had just handed over £240 for the stay itself, and think this should more than justify the car park being free!

Staff at breakfast room were charming, friendly and attentive.

Only other gripe was the wifi - whilst it was free, the speed was awful and dropped in and out regularly. Again, probably difficult to fill a building like this with a signal.

But on the whole a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Shop around for deals - if you like a bit of space in the bedrooms, the Queensize rooms dont deliver...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments.

I am pleased to say the hotel is due for refurbishment including public areas and bedrooms and I expect the programme date to commence in 2014.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
Kind regards,
Peter Watt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We spent our first honeymoon night there in 1957 and returned 56 years later for our anniversary. We enjoyed our trip down Memory Lane. The staff were unobtrusively very friendly and made our stay memorable. having provided us with a superb room elegantly furnished and quiet.

Room Tip: On booking tell them your needs and preferences don't be demanding. A "thank you" will...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed your return visit at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham and your trip down memory lane.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Woking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

we had a really nice room (room 316) with a nice view, it was clean, large and comfortable... best part of the hotel was the location as it is right in town so everything is walking distance. only issue was that there were times when we couldn't find parking in the hotel parking area...perhaps this was because of the weddings that were taking place throughout the weekend....

Room Tip: get room 316!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, Peter Watt
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

This a lovely, grand English hotel with a bit of class thrown in. One fantastic feature is the staircase wallpaper designed by Pugin and it is well worth seeing. I found everything about this hotel to be great, except my room faced onto the main street and the noise from it was too much (and these things rarely bother me). I would recommend you to stay here but ask for a room at the back, to ensure a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that their efforts are appreciated.

I apologise that you were disturbed by the noise outside, unfortuantely the front facing rooms do experience street noise.

I do hope this will not deter you from visiitng us again,
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

These days any hotel that doesn't provide free internet plummets in my estimation. Couple that with the noisiest rubbish muzak (the worst of late fifties and sixties pop) in the breakfast rooms and the bar and the good qualities of the hotel get lost. And there are good qualities. The Queens is in a great central location, does a terrific breakfast and has a beautiful Victorian/Edwardian central staircase. But there are a dozen hotels at the same price in Cheltenham, equally nice in their different ways where you get that all important free access to the internet.

1 Thank peter g
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. I’m delighted that you enjoyed breakfast and that you were impressed by the building and am delighted to say that we do now offer FREE WiFi throughout the hotel

Your comments regarding the piped music have been noted and will be addressed.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon

Kind Regards
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

We visited Cheltenham on May 25th for a much needed day and night off parental duties, which are such a rarity for us. We arrived feeling very positive - the hotel is a great looking building and brilliantly situated for access to shops and restaurants.
After booking in and getting our room card we hit our first speed bump - the room we'd booked (online and with emailed confirmation) was a Queensized bedroom, but the room we'd been given was a twin bedroom.
We thought that this was a simple error and went straight down to swap to the correct room. The reception staff were surly and tried to make out that it was our error and that rooms booked online didn't guarantee the type of room. They went as far as saying that online bookings are "requests" and that the hotel doesn't necessarily have to give you what you've ordered. They explained that there were no double rooms left and that if we wanted to stay in the hotel (for our one night alone in a long time) we'd have to sleep in seperate beds.
We stood firm and refused to back down and although the staff were stubbornly refusing to acknowledge their own terms and conditions, after 45 mins of waiting they did eventually find us a double room. Where this room had magically appeared from when 45 mins earlier it hadn't existed. I thought of questioning whether witchcraft was involved but decided to count my blessings at being permitted to sleep in the same bed as my wife.
Unfortunately the initial positivity we had when arriving in Cheltenham was really dampened by the experience of dealing with the hotel and it really ruined our weekend. For this reason I'm unable to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank munkykatze
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Dear Guest,

I am really sorry to hear that your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham wasn’t up to expectations.

Please rest assured that I have taken your comments very seriously and have ensured that the necessary action has been taken in order to prevent any re-occurrence of the issues you faced. I have spoken to the manager concerned, as it is not acceptable to have such lapses in the service we provide. Necessary steps will be taken, including a full staff support and re-training to prevent any further issues.

We value your custom and I hope most sincerely that despite this setback, you will feel able to continue to visit us in the future.
Kind Regards
Rotherham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

Hotel staff were attentive on arrival and quick/attentive on reception. There was plenty of parking on site with a barrier for entry and exit. Parking included with room. The evening meal was well organised and the service team were very quick and attentive. Food was three courses and excellent quality - plenty of empty plates. This may sound finicky but often after a long journey to a venue I enjoy a cup of tea and biscuits, when the hotel scrimps on a small pack of biscuits I am immediately looking for more faults. Also, I always need the use of an iron, pleasingly my room had both! As well as the usual toiletries. Breakfast was traditional and continental and plentiful. Overall I would recommend the hotel and though it does look tired in places - it is a period hotel and not a modern pastiche.

Room Tip: Hotel is listed so you need to be mindful that there is no double glazing and the hotel is on a busy...
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.