“Lots of strengths but not currently worth this kind of money for three reasons”

Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 9 September 2013

GOOD: Superb location, very friendly staff, very clean, excellent catering (we had breakfast, lunch and dinner there over three days and all were very good), good large meeting hall (our business meeting had 50 delegates - all accommodated well), lift working well, nice lounge for guests (when free), car park (at additional cost). NEEDS ATTENTION: The decorative state of our room can only be described as shabby; peeling paint, wallpaper becoming detached from the wall in places. Air conditioning was broken (and obviously had been for a long, long time). Room was like an oven when we checked in. Quality of the mattress was also awful. (We have slept much better in Travelodges and Premier Inns!) Reported air conditioning was broken on the first day but nothing at all had happened by the time we checked out. Also no leisure facilities (pool, gym sauna etc) at all. (The city needs to chuck the bureaucrats out of the Town Hall (just across Imperial Gardens in front of the hotel) and turn this into a first rate leisure centre which guests from top hotels can access at no (or considerably reduced) cost).

Room Tip: IF you are going to stay here, probably worth the extra to get a front-facing room with view of the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that their efforts are appreciated and that you had an enjoyable stay.
I am pleased to say the hotel is due for refurbishment including public areas and bedrooms and I expect the programme date to commence in 2014/15.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham again.
Kind regards, Peter Watt

Reviewed 6 September 2013

This hotel was beautiful and very archaic, seemingly steeped in history. The outside was gorgeous, as was the interior. However, we never quite worked out where the pool was located. I booked one night for my boyfriend and I, including a meal; the meal was divine, except, we had to pay extra because it was not all included [contrary to what I thought I'd paid for.] Moreover, I was outraged by the £10 fine for the parking - never have I known a hotel to charge its guests for parking!!!! Anyway, regardless of those financial hiccups, I loved the hotel and I would recommend it. Also, breakfast was delicious; unfortunately they did not replace food when it went low or disappeared, but there was a fabulous variety to counteract that.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mia2413

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. We do not have leisure facilites on site, however our guests have use of the nearby college facilities.
A number of hotels in town centre locations have introduced car park charges. I am keenly aware that it is an additional expense for our guests, however, given the availability and alternatives I do feel that our charge is fair value.
I do hope these issues will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.
Kind Regards
Peter Watt

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Stayed overnight for business, nice hotel and great position. close to the town and a nice park in front of the hotel. Breakfast is good. The rooms need a bit of updating, there was a damp stain over the bath. My main issue was the creaking of the floorboards, every time someone walked in the room above or outside the room, you would here loud and clear. Also I was carrying a suitcase and pull along. It was like a commando course to get to my room as I had to go up and down stairs to get to the room.

Room Tip: If you have a couple of suitcase make sure you get them to carry to your room
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank mark359

Kind Regards
Peter Watt

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Great location. First time I stayed they downgraded me to a single room but had beer vouchers waiting for me when I arrived (how did they know .....l)

Friendly staff - relaxed and happy to have a laugh.

Rooms mostly large and comfortable.

Stayed: August 2013
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear Guest,

I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed another stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham and that you find the staff friendly.

We look forward to your next visit. Kind regards, Peter Watt

Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

we stayed at the queens at the end of sept 2013, and attended a family wedding nearby . the hotel is in an excellent location opposite a lovely park and right near the centre with shops and bars and restaurants very close by .the staff were very helpful and friendly , breakfasts fab ,and serve till 11 am at weekends . there is a lovely garden to sit in also . rooms are very comfortable , ours had a fridge although the rest of our party didn't have ? beds v comfortable . our room was a little noisy as the brasserie blanc restaurant is under the corner that we were on but it didn't bother us or stop us from sleeping , but the rest of our party were on the other side of the corridor and had no noise at all . would definitely stay here again , Cheltenham is a lovely place !

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank ferret40
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Peter Watt

Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

We've just spent a lovely hour or so in the garden at the Queens having afternoon tea courtesy of a Living Social voucher.
We were looked after by Alex, who is funny and knowledgeable.
He apologised profusely for "keeping us waiting", but we were in no rush and don't think we were left waiting at all!
The food was fantastic and just the right amount - we hadn't eaten lunch and I expected to leave hungry, but that wasn't the case at all. The smoked haddock tartlet was particularly tasty, although my partner wasn't keen (which meant I got to eat his as well! Win for me).
I couldn't fault the service or the food at all, and I'd love to go back.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your visit to the Mercure Queen's Hotel for afternoon tea. Alex will be delighted to hear that his efforts were appreciated and that you had an enjoyable afternoon tea. I look forward to welcoming you back at again.
Kind regards, Peter Watt

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I did not have great expectations for this hotel as the rate of around 75 GBP per night is not expensive for the UK. We stayed the 25th and 26th August. The hotel more than merits its current room rate.The room was quite large and our travelling companions twin room was huge. We were in the rear of the hotel so no view over the really beautiful park right outside the hotel but it was really quiet. The other really great benefit was an almost silent airconditioning system as we had really hot weather on our trip and still slept soundly. The building itself is really attractive and is situated on a beautiful square with the park at its centre. The shops and restaurants are a two minute walk but the real find for us was the Raymond Blanc Bistro which is not part of the hotel but is in the same building. Fantastic food in a lovely room , good staff and very good value. I can understand if someone visited during race week that the place would be noisy but that will be the same no matter where you go. The staff were helpful, the public parts of the hotel have a quirky mix of decor and architectural style and the rooms were decorated plainly but with some style. We will definitely go back. Cheltenham is a nice town to visit.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a view of the park. Those in the back are quieter. Some stairs involved even...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, Peter Watt