“A most enjoyable experience”

Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Yeovil
“A most enjoyable experience”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

On arrival the staff we excellent. We came with agroup of passengers from the US and the dining arrangements were excellent as well as the food! Rooms were fine, especially the ones overlooking the park, with shops, ATM's and wine bars close by.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review. I’m glad you had a good stay with us at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham and I hope to see you on your next trip. Kind regards, Peter Watt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

The second time I have stayed here, very friendly staff, comfortable rooms, and good value. The Pugin wallpaper in the stairwell is stunning (over 175 years old). Very well positioned for the center of Cheltenham. Nice friendly bar area. Good breakfast. Upgraded rooms were very welcome.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards, Peter Watt
Hounslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

Although its a little dated, this adds to its charm. Offered an upgrade on arrival of £10 per night for an executive room. Well worth it with a king size bed, settee, etc. THe food selection was not very big, but it was well presented and very tasty. My wife said her steak was the best she had eaten for a very long time. My pork belly was also excellent. It might be worth mentioning here that our waitress, Joanna was terrific.

The hotel was better than expected and if/when we next visit the area, we would certainly aim to stay here.

Thank you to all the staff.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Peter Watt
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

My partner and I stayed here on the 9th and 10th of September. I am used to the mercure hotel chain having stopped at a few around the country, always find the mercure hotels to be of high standard and the Queens is no exception, beautiful location with the park opposite and near the promenade for shopping, all the bars restaurants are within walking distance as are the shops. Booked into a privilege room but on arrival upgraded to a four poster bedroom which had a lovely view of the park opposite. Most of the mercure hotel chains are mainly located near city centres which I believe is very good and although you have to pay for parking which is £10 per night I still believe this to be good value as nearby parking is by the hour and would cost more in the long run. The rooms all feature traditional furniture at the queens which keeps to the style of the hotel,the beds are to die for so comfortable, the bathrooms are very modern and clean, although on this occasion the shower over the bath was faulty, upon calling reception to let them know they were immediately up to our room to see if they could sort it out, when they couldn`t the manager moved us to another room, which at the time we were a little worried as we quite liked the room we had and the view was wonderful. We were given the Montpellier suite which was absolutely amazing and can not thank the manager enough for this, as it made our stay so memorable especially as we were celebrating my partners birthday. Our first night we celebrated my partners birthday in the hotel restaurant. Again the food was excellent as were the staff, we did not tell the hotel it was my partners birthday but soon as they knew they gave us a glass of champagne on the house, which again was wonderful, alex our waiter was very attentive on hand to give us information on places to go for our next night. The bar in the hotel is open to residents all night if you want,Ish the bartender made us very welcome. If you want a good curry that is high quality food and service I recommend the Prithvi which was wonderful. Also one of the bars alex recommended the Mai tai cocktail bar at the courtyard which is not far from the hotel couple of streets away, wonderful cocktails. Above all we had an excellent stay here and so memorable for all the right reasons, thank you to the manager and staff very much appreciated

Room Tip: For couples rooms overlooking the park are really worth it
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that their efforts are appreciated and that you had an enjoyable stay. I look forward to welcoming you back at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham again. Kind regards, Peter Watt
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

GOOD: Superb location, very friendly staff, very clean, excellent catering (we had breakfast, lunch and dinner there over three days and all were very good), good large meeting hall (our business meeting had 50 delegates - all accommodated well), lift working well, nice lounge for guests (when free), car park (at additional cost). NEEDS ATTENTION: The decorative state of our room can only be described as shabby; peeling paint, wallpaper becoming detached from the wall in places. Air conditioning was broken (and obviously had been for a long, long time). Room was like an oven when we checked in. Quality of the mattress was also awful. (We have slept much better in Travelodges and Premier Inns!) Reported air conditioning was broken on the first day but nothing at all had happened by the time we checked out. Also no leisure facilities (pool, gym sauna etc) at all. (The city needs to chuck the bureaucrats out of the Town Hall (just across Imperial Gardens in front of the hotel) and turn this into a first rate leisure centre which guests from top hotels can access at no (or considerably reduced) cost).

Room Tip: IF you are going to stay here, probably worth the extra to get a front-facing room with view of the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to say the hotel is due for refurbishment including public areas and bedrooms and I expect the programme date to commence in 2014/15.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham again.
Kind regards, Peter Watt
Wilts
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This hotel was beautiful and very archaic, seemingly steeped in history. The outside was gorgeous, as was the interior. However, we never quite worked out where the pool was located. I booked one night for my boyfriend and I, including a meal; the meal was divine, except, we had to pay extra because it was not all included [contrary to what I thought I'd paid for.] Moreover, I was outraged by the £10 fine for the parking - never have I known a hotel to charge its guests for parking!!!! Anyway, regardless of those financial hiccups, I loved the hotel and I would recommend it. Also, breakfast was delicious; unfortunately they did not replace food when it went low or disappeared, but there was a fabulous variety to counteract that.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mia2413
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. We do not have leisure facilites on site, however our guests have use of the nearby college facilities.
A number of hotels in town centre locations have introduced car park charges. I am keenly aware that it is an additional expense for our guests, however, given the availability and alternatives I do feel that our charge is fair value.
I do hope these issues will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.
Kind Regards
Peter Watt
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Stayed overnight for business, nice hotel and great position. close to the town and a nice park in front of the hotel. Breakfast is good. The rooms need a bit of updating, there was a damp stain over the bath. My main issue was the creaking of the floorboards, every time someone walked in the room above or outside the room, you would here loud and clear. Also I was carrying a suitcase and pull along. It was like a commando course to get to my room as I had to go up and down stairs to get to the room.

Room Tip: If you have a couple of suitcase make sure you get them to carry to your room
2 Thank mark359