“The location is the best asset but breakfast not 4*”

Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I lived in Cheltenham for 3 years in the 70s when at college. This hotel was "the" place to stay but I could not afford it then. I took my mum recently for her 86th birthday treat. When I made the booking I mentioned it was her birthday and the lady said they would try to do a little something. Luckily I did not mention this to my mum as nothing was done. I had hoped there would maybe be 2 little chocolates or some small gesture in the room. I also went to great lengths to ask for a twin room and a walk in shower as she struggles to get into a bath to shower. On arrival we were greeted well and given our key cards. Our room had a king sized bed!!! I shot down to reception where I was told it was an easy fix as they could split the beds and remake which they did when we went out for a walk. I think the biggest disappointment though was the breakfast which at £15.50 should be of a higher standard. The hot food was under hot lights but the food was warm at best. It reminded me of The Holiday Inn Express breakfast I have had but I only pay half the price for the room with breakfast included. We had a nice drink in the bar at the back of the hotel where we were made to feel very welcome. The highlight of our weekend was our meal at Brasserie Blanc which is part of the building but accessed from the road. The service, food and atmosphere was all first class and the set menu is excellent value for money. I did ask the waiter if the chef at Brasserie Blanc could pop into The Queens and cook my breakfast!!!!

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems check carefully. I asked for a room with a walk in shower but you can...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Thank M.C.Rose
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Firstly may I apologise that the guesture offered was not delivered, it is not acceptable to have such lapses in the service we provide. Necessary steps have been taken to prevent any further issues.

I am most concerend that your breakfast was not up to our usual high standard, as you can see from previous comments our breakfast is highly recommended. I apologise that on this occasion we have let you, as well as ourselves down.
Peter Watt

Write a ReviewReviews (1,328)

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Read lots of reviews on this hotel and a very mixed bunch indeed, even the tips on which room to stayd car parking fees.
So after spending 2 nights there thought it fair I should give my viewsnd I must say I was very pleased overall!

Stayed with 3 other sets of guests and hotel arranged for us to have rooms all close together which was good. Our room was to the inside view of hotel which meant we looked out over the air con units etc. but can honestly say we did not get any noise from any of the mechanical units so no problem sleeping. Our friends who overlooked the street did have noise problems however due to traffic and pedestrian talking well into the night. So as we were only using as a sleeping base go for an off street view.All parties rooms were on third floor.
Rooms were clean comfortable and good value for the stay with aircon that worked well in our room as I do like it down to about 19 degs.
Bed in our room was very soft whereas I like a firm bed, but friends had a hard bed whereas they prefer soft, so luck of the draw on that one!
Breakfast was buffet style with extras such as kippers and egg choices cooked to order. Was one of the best breakfasts I have been offered in a chain hotel so no complaints there.
Had evening meal there which again was fine although wine charges a bit steep.

Staff were all helpful and smiling and were happy to assist if needed, including bringing fresh milk to room when we ordered, and it didnt take long to arrive.

Parts of hotel are looking slightly worn but overall it is clean and tidy.

Only down side was a hen party that were staying at hotel and were on same floor as us they were obviously enjoying theirselves but think hotel should put them close to lift or on lower floors as when they are running through corridors and talking in load drunken voices at 2-3 in the morning it does disturb you somewhat whereas if they were close to lift they would not have to find their way through the whole floor of hotel!

Would I stay here again YES and would ask for room at top with inside view away from road.

Room Tip: Rooms to the inside away from road are quieter but with no views so if you go for a good sleep book...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JohnBsTrips
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, Peter Watt

Reviewed 23 November 2013

This hotel was chosen for me and I wouldn't choose it for myself. It looks promising on arrival. A beautiful white building overlooking a handsome crescent in the centre of town. There is a spacious car park and a well-kept garden. However, having a sign outside encouraging people to 'try our summer menu' in November does not suggest this is a place where people are quite on the money when it comes to service and standards - an impression which was borne out during my stay.

There are some courteous and welcoming members of staff who were professional and responsive. But there are some real problems. Not showing a newly-arriving guest where to find the lift nor indicating, other than level, where the room is located is sloppy and would take minimal effort. Greeting a request for room service with the question 'have you given us your credit card' seems churlish and rude. Having a phone in the room with buttons marked 'restaurant', 'room service' etc that when pressed lead to nothing more than a dead dial tone is pointless. Delivering a breakfast tray on which all the hot food is cold is unacceptable. Leaving the tray of uneaten, cold food uncollected in the corridor from 8 a.m. until the guest returns to the room at 7 p.m. is horrid. These are such avoidable and telling details. This simply doesn't feel like a place where people care that much which is a shame.

There are more basic, non-human factors that make this a less than optimal place to be. The noise is terrible. The sound-proofing is seemingly non-existent and the sound from the bar, street and other public areas leaks into every private space. The toiletries available are tacky and cheap - for instance, there is no separate shampoo and conditioner. The hairdryer is tethered to a drawer and was found to be dirty, ineffective and without nozzle. The pillows are cheap foam, rather than feathers. The heating is poorly controlled leading to a stuffy, claustrophobic night in which I had to open a window as there was no way of managing the radiators which were chucking out heat all night. On a freezing November night, it is ridiculous to be opening windows (thereby letting in more noise) instead of being able to control the temperature. There is no water in the room, no minibar and very limited facilities. It all feels tatty, tired and in need of a thorough overhaul by someone who is really customer-focused and committed to celebrating what could be a terrific hotel in a superb location.

I would not choose to spend my own money to stay here and know that the hotels I have chosen when I was paying far exceed what is offered at the Queens Hotel. A shame because I think the hotel could be wonderful, but no one seems to be willing to make the effort to ensure it fulfills its potential.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sooky

Dear Guest

The standard of service you received is not indicative of our usual high performance. If I were to offer reasons for the shortcomings you experienced, they would merely be excuses and I am not willing to do that. I apologise that on this occasion we have let you, as well as ourselves down.

I am aware that the hotel is looking tired and requires updating . I am pleased to say it is due for refurbishment including public areas and bedrooms and I expect the programme date to commence in 2014.

Despite the experience you encountered, it is our prime objective to serve all our customers to the best of our ability. We value your custom and I hope most sincerely that despite this setback, you will feel able to continue to visit us in the future.

Regards

Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

The room was spacious and clean and location really good
Traditional hotel with good levels if service in the bar and restaurant staff very attentive and pleasant at all times
The shower in room was poor no pressure in water
The greeting on reception was poor in check in and check out no welcome no manners at all it was the same lady both times she really does need a customer service course to keep up with the rest of the staff maybe the gm can arrange this for other than that it was good

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Stevewales44
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. I am delighted that you had a relaxing stay.
I apologise for the the standard of service you received at reception this is not indicative of our usual high performance and hope this will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed here for the night after Cheltenham races. If you are planning to stay here during a race meeting and are looking for a bit of a party then this might well be a decent choice. I had actually been racing but had not realised to what extent the hotel would be turned over to late night partygoers. The racing is a great boost for Cheltenham businesses but it certainly seemed to me as if milking the party crowd for £ was the main focus for this hotel, not the comfort of its other guests. The room was pretty average, slightly tired decor in the traditional taste. The bathroom had no external window and needs modernising. Breakfast was filling but bland and the service generally adequate but most of the staff seemed a bit distant - possibly a bit overstretched. Given the rave up going on downstairs we actualy slept fairly well but if you are looking for a romantic or quiet nights stay in Cheltenham avoid this place during racing!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. Due to popular demand we provide entertainment in the evenings of this weekend and I apologise that you were not informed of this.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The Queens was at its best when owned by the Forte Group. It was then bought out by Granada who ruined this hotel by removing/selling off the good furniture and paintings. I hadn't been back since the Granada fiasco until recently when I took my family for afternoon tea. Mercure now own it. The hotel is quite smart but it seems to have lost its soul and understated elegance. The once beautiful lounge has been dumbed down and the classy sofas and tables replaced with what looks like standard issue hotel furniture. Once our waiter appeared, I asked how much afternoon tea cost and what was included. I was told it was £16.95 (or thereabouts) and that it was in the menu. No it wasn't in the menu but we couldn't continue the conversation because he had walked off. Eventually we placed our order and what we had was nicely presented. Sadly for us, our waiter seemed to be having an off day and was very straight-faced almost to the point of being unfriendly. Tea at The Queens was what the hotel did so well, after all, you couldn't better the surroundings. It was a treat to go there and it felt like a special occasion. However, because of the staff and the atmosphere now, it was all very underwhelming. This once great hotel deserves better.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tawanda236

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham for afternoon tea.
The standard of service you received is not indicative of our usual high performance and I apologise that on this occasion we have let you, as well as ourselves down. Previous comments regading our afternoon tea have been extremely good, however I assure you we are not complacent about our failures and more care will be taken in the future to ensure our standards remain high.
I am pleased to say the hotel is due for refurbishment including public areas and bedrooms and I expect the programme date to commence in 2014/15.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We have stayed here before and enjoyed the hotel with its traditional atmosphere and convenient position. On this occasion we stayed here for the Open Cheltenham Race Meeting and the whole ground floor of the place was completely transformed into a noisy public bar and disco on the Friday and Saturday evenings - complete with bouncers on the door. The atmosphere was good natured and friendly with people having a good time and whilst I understand the bar takings must be a terrific boost to their business, I really feel that to charge at least double the normal tariff for what must be some of the 'noisiest rooms on the planet' with sleep impossible until at least 2am the hotel management are being exceptionally greedy and showing scant respect for their resident guests - we were not warned on booking or checking in that our room was directly above the disco although the receptionist cheerfully agreed with me that sleep would be difficult when I rang to enquire when the music was likely to stop - they did offer to move us but that was not an attractive option at 1am! Everyone who comes racing at Cheltenham accepts that the hotel tariffs are really excessive during the few crucial days but the Queens management seem to think that normal guest relations do not apply and that it is acceptable to treat people with complete contempt just because 'they can'! Very disappointing.

Room Tip: There is a huge difference between the size of standard and privilege rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. Due to popular demand we provide entertainment on these race evenings. I am very sorry you were not informed of this beforehand and esspecailly at ceck in when we could have offered you a quieter room.
Despite the experience you encountered, it is our prime objective to serve all our customers to the best of our ability and to provide unrivalled value in the quality of our services and standards. We value your custom and I hope most sincerely that despite this setback, you will feel able to continue to visit us in the future.