“Lovely Hotel”

Queens Hotel Cheltenham - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We really enjoyed our stay in this hotel. The staff at reception were helpful and friendly and the building itself is superb, even though it is obviously quite old. We had a clean spacious room with a very large queensize bed and overlooked the Imperial Square gardens. Both windows opened to let in fresh air. There was a kettle in the room, plenty of tea and coffee, a good size flat screen TV, and a modern bathroom with shower. The hotel was quiet at night and we enjoyed a good night's sleep in the comfortable bed. Would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Christine D
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Peter Watt

Write a ReviewReviews (1,347)

Reviewed 5 January 2014

A family trip for a graduation ceremony, so a number of rooms booked and we upgraded ours - but still a reasonable price. An excellent large suite with nice views to the front of the hotel. Very homely! Didn't eat there but breakfast was very good in the light and airey orangery. Plenty of parking. The quite exceptional service for me was when they forgot to deliver the morning newspaper (ok thats not great I know) but when we phoned reception they had none left but sent someone down to the local newsagents to get us one! Ten out of ten for the staff overall. Will go back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that their efforts are appreciated and that you had an enjoyable stay. I look forward to welcoming you back at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham again.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

What a wonderful central location in this beautiful Regency town. Just opposite Imperial Gardens, and a step from the tree-lined Promenade with its restaurants, bars and shops. Walk up to Montpelier to the boutiques with the female statues (cataryds) on the doorfronts - and more bars! In the summer, a real cafe society. The hotel has an imposing frontage, a good restaurant with a really good breakfast buffet. Car park adjacent. Have stayed several times and found nothing to fault. Get lucky, and you could get a room with a view over the park at the front. Or to one side, to Montpelier. Unlucky, you get the carpark and the bins. So perhaps better to phone for a reservation as you can't choose on the website.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cottagegrove

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Sadly it didn't live up to our expectations. We were taking part in a Joy Swift Murder Mystery weekend with the Mercure chain was used to host these weekends. The lay out of the hotel was ideal as it is a creeky old place, but sadly I felt we were taken on by the prices. Even then a couple of years back is was a tenner for 3 cups of tea on the foyer - which was 3 teabags, some hot water and some sugar cubes. I'm sorry but I cannot see any jusitification for charging these prices. The breakfast and dinner was perfect but luncheon went pear shapred so much so that after that weekend, the MM weekends were switched to the Principal Hayley chain. I did look at staying there this weekend as we go down to Cheltenham every New Year for the racing but decided to stay somewhere else, that was smaller, with no parking charge and the prices more competitive.

Room Tip: From what I can remember my room was ok but there were some noisey ones. Best check with reception.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am really sorry to hear that your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham wasn’t up to expectations.

It is our prime objective to serve all our customers to the best of our ability and to provide unrivalled value in the quality of our services and standards. We value your custom and I hope most sincerely that despite this setback, you will feel able to visit us in the future.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

It was our second visit to the queens lovely reception staff, but our room was very noisy a humming noise, don't known from were and other visiters banging doors, .so we didn't sleep that well room no 308

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Wendy W

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. I have instructed the maintenance team to investiage the noise you experienced in room 308 immeditately.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

This is a lovely hotel and the staff are very helpful and efficient so it is a shame to find fault with it for the sake of it. We got a fantastic rate and so for value i rate it as excellent. However, it is an old hotel and things are going to need high levels of maintenance to satisfy the guests who pay full price. Our room was clean and tidy and didn't suffer from the wear and tear that other guests have complained of. Our view was over the promenade and we were very pleased. The room was very hot and we couldnt control the heat. I didn't really notice it until we tried to sleep so by that time it was really too late. Overall i was pleased with the room. In the afternoon we tried to relax in the public rooms but they were closed off for private functions so there wasn't anywhere to go in the hotel apart from our room. The public rooms them selves are wonderful regency style and it still has a grand feeling about the hotel, particularly the big stair case. The side and rear of the hotel have been sold off to Raymond Blanc and he has a brasserie there which is convenient for hotel users. The hotels strength is its location, next to Montpelier night life which starts across the road from Raymond Blanc's establishment. So viewing the hotel for what it is, i liked it, but its a mixed bag. For value for money, considering what i payed it was excellent, but if i was paying full rate I might not be so happy.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. I apologise for the maintenace issues you encountered, I am however pleased to say the hotel is due for refurbishment including public areas and bedrooms and I expect the programme date to commence in 2014.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed at the Queens Mercure Cheltenham this weekend whilst I was attending a wedding nearby.

The building is a lovely period property and located in a fantastic area in the centre of Cheltenham.

The interior of the building is in dire need of refurbishment and the rooms require a complete overall from beds to soft furnishings and carpets to furniture. Although the rooms were clean the quality was sub-standard for the room rate. Here are just a few problems in the room I was allocated - the radiator gauge was broken so the room was like a sauna when I entered so I had to have the air con on all night just to make the room tolerable, not the most healthy environment in which to sleep, there were stains on the towels, there was rust and cracks in the bathroom fixtures, the curtains had tears in the fabric, the fabric on the comfy seats had worn through to the lining and the bed was way too soft it was like sleeping on a water mattress.

Fortunately, all the staff that I encountered during my stay were helpful and friendly which redeemed this hotel somewhat.

It is a shame that this hotel has not been maintained to a higher standard to enable the period features of this lovely building shine.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. I was happy to know the staff were helpful and friendly.

I am pleased to say the hotel is due for refurbishment including public areas and bedrooms and I expect the programme date to commence in 2014.