“Pre Race Festival Visit”

Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Leominster, United Kingdom
“Pre Race Festival Visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Overall a pleasant stay without being brilliant. Check in was smooth and informative. Room had a very good view and had all that we wanted. After coming back from a meal out we wanted to get a drink but there were no bar staff available which was a let down. Went back later for bottled water which at £2-40 a bottle was on the high side. The car parking fee is a bit hidden in all the reservation procedure but is not terrible and as the barrier was US we could have got away with not paying but we did pay up. Staff nice, pleasant and friendly. My marking would be 3.5 if it was available.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank malcthetalc55
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and am currently investigating why there was no staff in the bar to serve you.

I do hope this setback will not deter you from visiting us again soon.

Peter Watt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed here for my 60th Birthday with friend, absolutely stunning! Fabulous room, majestic building with original regency features. Breakfast was perfect all staff courteous. Would thoroughly recommend for a special treat.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Peter Watt
Brighton, Sussex, Uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed here over the valentine’s weekend.
First impressions are good, the hotel is very striking and sits in a central position on the promenade . The interior (lobby, hallways bar are a little gloomy) Check in was relatively quick, and while the bar and lift were pointed out, there was no offer to help with luggage despite we were clearly struggling with four bags.
Our room on the first floor was on the corner and so had windows on two sides. This is the hotels biggest problem. Given the age the windows are single paned and useless at keeping the traffic noise out, so were disturbed by buses, street sweepers, people waiting for taxis etc all night. The vibrations from larger vehicles even makes the head board shake. Secondary glazing would help but i am guessing the size of the windows makes this an expensive option. The noise is such an issue that i wouldn’t choose to stay here again.
We dined in the restaurant both nights: On the first night (which was valentine’s day) they seemed to struggle to serve all tables as quickly and efficiently as perhaps they normally would. Our table wasn’t cleared of the spare wine glasses, and our cutlery was removed between courses leaving nothing to eat our main courses with. Overall the food was reasonable “hotel” type catering. The muscle consommé was a good amuse-bouche if a little large, the aubergine salad was too heavy on the garlic and was a little confused by the pomegranate seeds, the salmon roulade was good but was let down by the chilli pasta which was far too thick and the vegetarian tortellini was again a little thick and while tasty was let down by the colour, it had either browned in the pan or been left under the lights awaiting service. The chocolate fondant again probably suffered from being left on the pass as it was dry, and without any cream a bit of a non event.
Dinner however on the second night was a completely different affair. When we arrived we were the only diners, and so had the full attention of the waiter, who allowed us to swap accompaniments around on certain dishes as the combinations weren’t to our liking and with the pressure off everything was served correctly. The Lemon Sole i had was perfectly cooked, although perhaps the pearl barley was a little heavy. The pomme fondatnt my partner had were very good. The waiter was friendly, chatty, and the challenge for everyone is to provide that level of service and food when the pressure is on.
Breakfast was equally hit and miss. On the first morning everything was fine. We were seated promptly, tea and coffee bought quickly and the breakfast buffet area pointed out. My partner reported that the hot selection was ok, but the sausages were nice. We were surprised that there were no pastries. I ordered from the menu and had the smoked haddock and poached egg which is one of my favorites and didn’t disappoint. The second morning (Sunday) was a complete contrast. We went down at 10:15, well within the serving time which finishes at 11. There were few staff and the ones we did encounter were fairly surly. There were no cereal bowls and when i tracked someone down to bring some they were wet, meaning a trip back to my table to get a napkin to dry said bowl. While i was hunting a cereal bowl down my partner ordered from the menu for me, the haddock as on the first day. The waitress returned to tell me that they didn’t have any, when i said i’d have the kippers instead she simply said no fish today, and i rather got the feeling this was because of the lateness rather than the kitchen having a huge rush on the fishy breakfast. No apology was forthcoming. Just “no fish today”
As mentioned elsewhere the car park comes with a charge of £10 a day. Checkout was straightforward. There was an odd amount debited for a tray charge debited to our room which wasn’t ours which was removed without any bother, and there was an offer to help with luggage unlike on arrival.

We were attending a party at the hotel on the Saturday night, and the hotel have clearly learnt
from the comments below as this was clearly publicised on reception. I did pop back to my room during the evening and i would share the views of others, if i was attending the party then i would have been far from happy. It could hear the band just as well on the first floor as i could in the function room. Again as with the window problem how do you sound proof a building of this age.
All in all we had a great weekend using the hotel as a base, catching up with friends and family. Despite good first impressions the hotel is a little disappointing and if we were to return to Cheltenham we would probably stay elsewhere unless they can sound proof those wonderful old windows somehow.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating the matters you raised.
I am pleased to say the hotel is due for refurbishment including public areas and bedrooms which will include sound proofing. I expect the programme date to commence this year and hope most sincerely you will feel able to continue to visit us in the future.
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We have been to this hotel before and found it to be very good but this weekend we visited and found their service during an emergency to be superb. Unfortunately at about 12.30 a.m. my husband became ill with a suspected stroke and I called reception to request an ambulance. Not only did they do this but sent a responsible and obviously first aid trained member of staff to our room immediately to assist. After attending the local A&E we returned to the hotel at 6 a.m, to be met by the same member of staff who unlocked the doors as we drove up and made sure that we had anything we needed before we retired to our room for a (very short) sleep. Throughout our stay we found all members of staff to be solicitous, kind and welcoming. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and we will undoubtedly be staying there again. And all this with a big wedding going on at the same time.Thank you

Room Tip: The rooms are,I'm told, being renovated. We have always stayed in the Executive rooms and found...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank redliz1946
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that their efforts are appreciated.

I do hope your husband is feeling better and I look forward to welcoming you back at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham in the near future..

Kind regards, Peter Watt
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Wonderful! We had full afternoon tea on a Monday afternoon with my friends 18 month old
grand-daughter and how lovely it was. The tea was very different with delightful home made savouries that had your taste buds going instead of the usual boring sandwiches, although we did have one very nice salmon triangle. The cakes were fresh, delicious and a fantastic variety . Tea was plentiful and they even filled Elysaas juice bottle. Staff were very kind and attentive but not encroaching on your space. Although interior of the lounge looked tired it was very comfortable and it added to the character. We will return.

1 Thank Alison R
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your afternoon tea at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Kind regards, Peter Watt
malvern uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Booked three rooms for Saturday evening, £120 a room, I have stayed in better half the price. The rooms are dated, dark, have an odour. Asked to be moved, that was ever worse, I feel some establishments in Cheltenham rest on their laurels, and just don't care, after all someone else will come tomorrow. The door cards constantly failed, and on the third floor it's past a joke, after completing the mercure questionnaire, the manager emailed me and admitted they were due for a refit? Anybody booking this hotel, go after the refit?

Room Tip: There isn't any
1 Thank ianhatesidiots
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and have corresponded with you direct.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

I really enjoyed this hotel. A wonderful hotel in a great location. Beautiful looking frontage, and all staff very nice. Our rooms were very comfortable and very clean. I like hotels that keep the charm of the era it was built but at the same time have modern comfort. We had only one nights stay but wish it could of been longer. highly recommend this hotel and I will certainly be back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Guest