“Fantastic location, pretty worn out, over-priced”

Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Wiltshire
“Fantastic location, pretty worn out, over-priced”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Just an overnight stay. Great location for visiting bars, etc of Montpellier. Room was okay, stained furniture, peeling paint. Breakfast room in the morning very messy, tables hadn't been cleared. Breakfast buffet style - good choice of food. All in all, okay stay but way over-priced.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham and we have noted your comments about the breakfast room.

I am pleased to say the hotel is due for refurbishment including public areas and bedrooms and I expect the programme date to commence early in 2015.

Kind Regards
Peter Watt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
worthing,sussex,england
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last week to attend the Visit England awards. Had room 314 not far from the lift. Nice sized room and a big comfy bed. Tea and coffee facilities in the room. Wardrobe, iron and board. Chest of drawers and desk. Bathroom nice size again with shower and bath, which as a female I prefer. The building is old and the rooms are too but this is part of the charm.
Small niggles like a broken sink plug, wall scuffs and peeling wallpaper but this did not ruin my stay. Had breakfast nice selection and juice and hot drinks. Would stay again if I was in the area.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham.

I am pleased to say the hotel is due for refurbishment including public areas and bedrooms and I expect the programme date to commence early 2015.

Kind regards, Peter Watt
Wales
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed here last minute, always wanted to stay here after years of racing at Cheltenham , but was a bit disappointed overall.... Very nice old fashioned room but it was noisy outside until 4am, the hotel had a drain smell inside which was not very pleasant .

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank PastelWales
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and am currently investigating the matter of a drain smell.

I apologise that you were distrurbed by noise from outside, as we are a town centre hotel we do experience this from time to time.

Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

If I was the manager who writes the answers to poor reviews, I would look for another position.
The tired clapped old property that has being going to be refurbished by various operators in the last twenty years is dire. The lounge area is full of broken furniture that a sale rooms would not accept and should be put on a skip. The staff are pleasant but totally demoralized and the bedrooms are say 10, no 30 years out of date.

I visit " Cheltenham Spa" as the retired majors call it, several times a year but overseas guests must think they are staying in some sort of detention centre A few bright lights and shiny tiles in the bathrooms are a start but its only money that is stopping further improvements. A gold mine lying in wait for the right operator with vision as it deserves to be good, or changed into apartments. I will watch with interest.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank John D
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write with your concerns on the general décor and fabric of the Queen’s Hotel, Cheltenham.
I do apologise that the replies on our trip advisor website do not meet with your approval. I have been the General Manager at the Queen’s Hotel for the past 2 years, during which time a refurbishment programme has been discussed in various site visits and future development plans over these years.
The Queen’s hotel is a well-established hotel in the centre of Cheltenham and due to the age and history of the hotel, I am afraid it has taken longer than originally planned to start refurbishing the total hotel. We have however completed 5 bedrooms in past 2 years and have now appointed a project manager and a designer to start the initial development of the Queen’s Hotel.
We are a grade II listed building in Regency Cheltenham Spa and therefore all future plans, designs and renovation have to be met by English Heritage, which has resulted in a delay in a pacific start date being confirmed, I am sorry.
I can assure you that every effort is made to enhance the hotel through service, and one of our strong points has been our staff, and I do as the General Manager meet and talk with my team throughout the day, when I am on duty.
With kind regards
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I attended an Evening wedding reception where the service and attention to detail was appalling. Reception couldn't be bothered to show us to the event. The bar had nobody serving and when somebody arrived we were charged £13.10 for an ordinary bottle of beer and a vodka and lemonade which is fine if the service is special - it wasn't. During the evening the staff were clearing away and preparing for something else but doing so whilst we were trying to socialise and enjoy the event. It was as though we were in their way. I wouldn't recommend holding an event here, certainly not an evening Wedding reception. Fortunately it didn't distract from the enjoyment for the lovely couple and we didn't allow it to spoil our evening.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank prime7919
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Guest,

The standard of service you received is not indicative of our usual high performance and I apologise that on this occasion we have let you, as well as ourselves down. I can assure you that more care will be taken in the future to ensure our standards remain high.
Despite the experience you encountered, it is our prime objective to serve all our customers to the best of our ability and to provide unrivalled value in the quality of our services and standards. We value your custom and I hope most sincerely that despite this setback, you will feel able to continue to visit us in the future.
Kind Regards
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Lovely and unusual range of savoury selection, followed by a varied range of cakes.
Topped up drinks was nice, although the waitress didn't know what a Mocha was! Strange that coffee culture has not hit this prestigious hotel!
Nice atmosphere, friendly staff, good parking.
Bit pricy in comparison to other places, but not too expensive.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dawnytwp
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed afternoon tea at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, Peter Watt