1,524 results
All reviews imperial gardens afternoon tea brasserie blanc car park lovely hotel third floor deluxe room an upgrade walk in shower beautiful building town centre bars and restaurants lovely room short break night's sleep stayed for one night breakfast was excellent
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed in the Queens hotel on a recent visit to Cheltenham. We enjoy a beautiful room on the first floor in the corner - well worth asking for if you get the chance, as it is huge for a standard room!

The breakfast next morning was delicious, and the buffet was varied and had something for everyone.

A quick 2 minute walk down the promenade will see you at the main set of shops in Cheltenham. A lovely place.

Room Tip: Ask for the corner room on the first floor - it is huge for a standard double! We were pleasantly surprised!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Mark P, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit at the Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind regards,
Mark Platt

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We are back at the Queens for a family visit and I gather there are to be some refurbishments soon but if so please don't destroy the charm of this hotel which is the elegance of the Regency period combined with the friendliness of family run hotel (although I realise it is no longer family run hotel but owned by Mercure).
As a example, what used to be the Savoy Hotel years ago, nearby, became the Kandinsky - nice quirky, fun, and is now the Montpellier Chapter and has in our view lost all its character, charm and become a ghastly Farrow and Ball make over with no soul or charm of the previous building, in spite of what must have cost a fortune. We only visited for a light lunch but that was enough.
The Queens has a lot to recommend it but inevitably is let down by simple things like our old bathroom mains cold tap having no water pressure (it didn't bother us but means we can't give it 4 stars). The staff at reception were excellent as were some in the breakfast room and if I may say so especially the ones from abroad - smiley, helpful, efficient. George the barman was great and pleasant to talk to (a student I believe).
One massive drawback and I am not sure what can be done about it: our room was at the front (210) and on the Friday and Saturday nights we stayed, a night club on the opposite corner has some how managed to get a licence to play loud thumping music til 4.30 am. What on earth is Cheltenham Council doing to allow it in the centre of this wonderful town? I had to make ear plugs for myself but still it kept me awake which is why I know it was still thumping out at 4.30 - 5.00 am.
Double or triple glazing might fix it.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the side or front
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris W

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
The refubishment due 2015 will indeed be in keeping with the regency heritage of the hotel and any works will be respectful and encapsulate the hotels historic past.
I do hope to welcome you back next year when you can experience the restoration.
Kind Regards
Mark Platt

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I was concerned about going here as there were a number of reviews which sounded that it was over the hill and waiting for its reno in 2015, but we needed to visit Cheltenham, the location is great and it was only for one night. Wow! We were very pleasantly surprised! The hotel did not look that run down and you had to look hard to find why they were going to renovate next year (but if you did look then you could see, but this was only because w looked!)

The bar is an absolute delight. Just what a cosy hotel bar should be. Great atmosphere. We had an excellent meal in the restaurant with good service. The staff wee very attentive and our room, # 209, was extremely good, overlooking the park and well appointed. Often we find your reviews spot on but the bad ones we saw for this hotel were well off the mark.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Mark Platt

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Live locally and have come to The Queens before for afternoon tea or drinks and have never been disappointed, and today was no exception. Came on Sunday for afternoon tea in the sun and was warmly welcomed by staff and shown to our table outside. The staff are very helpful and knowledgable about the food. The afternoon tea was delicious with great variety and all locally sourced. The scones were easily the best - could easily eaten just a plate of those! Fully recommend The Queens hotel for its friendly staff and great food - a gem in Cheltenham.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that their efforts are appreciated and that you had an enjoyable afternoon tea. I look forward to welcoming you back again.
Kind regards, Mark Platt

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The location and exterior of this hotel is great, really impressive and dramatic, whilst being a stones throw away from shops, bars, etc. Rooms were ready on arrival, so up we went. The stairs have a replica of the original wall paper, which is stunning, but a bit eye boggling as it desperately fights with the equally patterned carpet, which is a shame. This inner atrium stair case area is pretty cool through. Once into the corridor where the bedrooms area, the carpet changes and older and more scruffy, the walls and inner doors need a touch up and a good scrub. My room is good...nice bed and room furniture with views over the street to people watch. (Although lots of noise throughout the night). Average bathroom..clean, mine is nicer at home. I didn't like the little kettle..it was old and looked like it needed cleaning. Also, one sad packet of broken digestives does not a 4 star feel make. My friend had a room that face into the hotel rather than the street and had a terrible view of the kitchens air vents, yet was paying the same price.

Room Tip: If you don't mind street noise, ask for a room that over looks the street.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. Kind regards, Mark Platt