“Grand setting but disappointing”

Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 10 September 2010

Wanted a taste of Georgian splendour and the exterior does the business. The interior is no longer up to it. There are hints of what was once inside. Our room however was shabby, verging on depressing and the meals were not good enough. An owner with cash needs to take the place by the throat and undertake a major and comprehensive revamp and restoration. Cheltenham is a lovely town, well worth a weekend of anyone's time.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
THeenan, Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2010

Dear Guest,

I am really sorry that you were disappointed with your stay at the Mercure Cheltenham Queen’s Hotel.

With reference to your comments on the condition of the Hotel; restoration work to the Grade II listed staircase has been ongoing for a number of months and I am pleased to say that further to this restoration work, refurbishment plans are in place for the lounge and ground floor cloakroom facilities which are due to commence in the coming months.

Kind regards,
Trudy Heenan

Reviewed 9 September 2010

Re my daughter's wedding reception. All the staff were extremely helpful and coureous and went out of their way to make our stay and the day itself special. Excellent venue & value for money. Highly recommended.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and compliments – I am delighted that you enjoyed your daughter’s special day. The team will be delighted to receive your feedback, and will encourage them to continue providing excellent service to all our guests. I look forward to being able to welcome you and your family again soon.

Kind regards

Trudy Heenan
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 30 August 2010

Booked the hotel for my anniversary . Great location but the hotel is a shambles . Wallpaper hanging off the wall on the landings . No mini bar , door to the minibar was held shut with a piece of cardboard . When this fell out the door to the minibar was wide open so kept on walking in to it . Asked for more pillows , never came . We were put in a room on the side of the car park . Booked a late breakfast in bed , no chance of that. The staff started throwing bottles very very very loudly in to the recycling bin at 8 in the morning. So much for a lie in . That's not to mention the huge argument a couple had in the car park at 1 in the morning , followed by the man urinating on a car , and the intercourse behind a parked car. It ruined my anniversary . As I work in travel I would never sell this hotel to anyone. I found the whole weekend really very upsetting

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank gapey

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the service you experienced during your recent weekend break at Mercure Cheltenham Queen's Hotel. Please rest assured that I will investigate all the issues you have highlighted personally, so that I can understand how these situations occurred and introduce procedures which will prevent re-occurrence of issues such as these in the future. We normally pride ourselves on exceeding our guests expectations, so I am especially sorry that we let you down on your special wedding anniversary weekend.

With reference to your comments on the condition of the Hotel; restoration work to the Grade II listed staircase has been ongoing for a number of months and I am pleased to report that the re-hanging of the hand painted William Morris listed wallpaper commenced today. Unfortunately the restoration process has taken longer than desired due to the listed status of the building and wall paper. In addition to this restoration work, refurbishment plans are in place for the lounge and ground floor cloakroom facilities which are due to commence in the coming months.

Should you wish to discuss any of your issues in more detail, please feel free to call me on 01242 514754 or email me on trudy.heenan@accor.com ; I would certainly welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in the Mercure Cheltenham Queen's Hotel. Kind regards, Trudy Heenan

Reviewed 30 August 2010

Excellent location for town centre. Room a real disappointment: dud lightbulbs; cracked sink, cracked wall tiles, cracked floor tiles with loose grout that got into your feet! The room wasn't even serviced! Restaurany service was poor: not asked if we wanted tea/coffee /toast, half toasted bread sent back & never seen again! How difficult is it to make toast? At no time did anyone ask if everything was ok or did we have a good stay, no sign of a feedback form: do they care so little about repeat business?

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank cburni
THeenan, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2010

Dear Guest, I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at Mercure Cheltenham Queen's Hotel. I would like to thank you for your feedback, I so treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and am currently investigating the matter. Feel free to call me on 01242514754 or email me on H6632-GM@accor.com if you would like to discuss this further. Kind regards, Trudy Heenan.

Reviewed 30 August 2010

Just returned from a week-end break at this hotel as part of our 25th Wedding Anniversary celebrations. I had phoned the hotel the day before our arrival to arrange for a bottle of champagne to be put on ice in the room, just before our arrival at 6pm, as a surprise for my wife, and was assured this would be done. Needless to say there was no champagne in the room on arrival and when I complained at reception on our way out later that evening I received a muted apology and a line about how the manager would be informed. I never heard anything further!! The manager was obviously far too busy with organising the wedding parties that were taking place on both nights of our stay, which were obviously far more important than the normal paying guests!!
As for the room itself I had a choice when booking of a Classic Double, Superior Double or an Executive Double, so I upgraded to an Executive Double thinking I was playing it safe! WRONG!! Our Executive room was indicative of the rest of the hotel, although clean, in desperate need of refurbishment, probably a good 20 years overdue!! The main staircase had wallpaper hanging off the walls where there had been a water leak at some point in the past and had just been left, also the carpets were threadbare in many places.
Breakfast in the restaurant was farcical with the staff not able to cope with the numbers from the previous nights very noisy wedding parties. Although the food at the buffet breakfast itself was ok, the service to get coffee and toast from the French waiting staff (this hotel is owned by the French group Accor) was pitiful with us finally receiving a cafetiere of coffee but without any milk or sugar and having to wait even further while these items were retrieved from the kitchens, because the table hadn't been laid properly to start with!!.
In conclusion, until the owners start to spend some money on this hotel, of which there is no sign of at the moment, my advice would be to steer well clear and book somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, I am really sorry to hear that your stay at Mercure Cheltenham Queen's wasn’t up to expectations. I would very much like to discuss the matter with you in person and would appreciate it if you would call me on 01242 514754. Kind regards, Trudy Heenan

Reviewed 28 August 2010

We love this hotel, staff couldn`t be more helpful nothing is to much trouble, food is gorgeous and very nicely presented in romantic settings. This is our 2nd stay this year and hope to be back again before xmas hotel is in a great location and a beautiful building what more can one say, well done to all the staff thank you.

Reviewed 12 August 2010

Just a word about our recent stay at The Queens Hotel Cheeltenham. From start to finish we had a fabulous experience. The food is something you must try, you will not be disappointed, and the accommodation exceeded our expectations. The staff were fantastic and always on hand to attend your every need. A must for any business or leisure stay.

Chris and Helen

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
THeenan, Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay, and that we could be apart of your recent visit to Cheltenham. The team and I look forward to being able to welcome you back to the Mercure Cheltenham Queen's Hotel soon.
Kind regards