“Big Disappointment” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
France
“Big Disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

On arriving, and wishing to book a table for Dinner, we were told that the Dining Room would not be available due to there being a Wedding Function taking place.
Since this was to be a special evening for us, we did not wish to eat a fine meal in an "ad-hoc" space in the public lounge area, so were forced to go out and traipse around Cheltenham looking for a half-decent Restaurant. After a very long and tiring journey of over six hours to reach Cheltenham, this was NOT what we had in mind!
The room was average, and nothing special. Breakfast next morning was also not without problems ... as we had another long journey to get to Dover to catch a Ferry, we wished for an early start, but were told in no uncertain terms that "Breakfast is not ready yet" (this at 7.30 a.m.). We persisted, and were grudgingly let into the Dining Room. The breakfast was all pre-prepared, and kept warm under (?halogen?) lights - not that bad really, although, from a large plate of fried eggs, it proved to be impossible to extract just ONE fried egg, without damaging all those remaining. At least they had proper Cumberland Sausage. Altogether, not a place I would re-visit ... ... there must be a better place ... ... Perhaps once-upon-a-time the Queens Hotel, (before it was a Mercure) might have been rather a grand place to stay - unfortunately, not now. Great disappointment.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
THeenan, Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 4 October 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor submission, and email to myself regarding your experience of your stay at the Mercure Queen’s Hotel, Cheltenham.

I would firstly like to offer my sincere apologises that we have given you cause to complain. I have taken your comments very seriously, and have investigated fully the incidents that caused you dissatisfaction with your stay.

I am sorry to hear that we were not able to accommodate you in the Restaurant during your stay, I have spoken with our Restaurant manager to understand why you were not offered a table for dining. We did have large groups in for dinner during your stay and were fully booked 6.30pm and 8pm, however the team should have offered you to make you a reservation after 8pm so that you could enjoy the Queen’s Hotel Napier Restaurant. Please be assured that I have taken the necessary steps to ensure that there is no repeat occurrence for future guests.

In response to your bedroom comments, I can appreciate that you found our Classic rooms a little small for you, and that you were disturbed by the fire exit signs when a room move was arranged. I will investigate further how we can reduce the light emitting from the air conditioning, and fire exit signs for the future.

I do appreciate that this all caused you unnecessary inconvenience, and marred a special occasion for yourself and your wife.

I am pleased that you have accepted our offer to restore your faith in the Mercure Cheltenham Queen's Hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back to us soon.

Guest, may I once again express my apologises for letting both yourself and ourselves down

Yours sincerely

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

My wife and I made a deliberate decision to take a holiday during the first week in September for personal reasons, and booked and paid for our rooms three months in advance, so as to ensure our needs would be catered for. We spent three nights at the Mercure Albrighton Hotel at Shrewsbury, which was a delightful experience and then moved on to the more expensive Queens Hotel, our first night in which would be on our Wedding Anniversary.
We had expected that this would be even better than the less expensive Shrewsbury hotel.
The Queens Hotel has an excellent location ... that is all it has.
On arriving at the Queens, we said that we would like to book a table in the hotel later that evening, [ our anniversary evening ] We were told that there were no tables available, as their were two tour parties at the hotel, and so the restaurants were full. The following two mornings I again enquired after breakfast if a table would be avaiable that night: Each time I received a negative reply, and so we were obliged to eat outside the hotel; as the advertised amenities, for which we would have paid for when our booking contract was made, were not placed at our disposal.
One might have had some sympathy with the obviously overworked staff, but any goodwill was completely wiped out when entering the bedroom. If you are offered Room 101, you would do better to sleep on a chair in the lounge. It bears no relation to the bedrooms shown on the hotel website.
I have slept in far more luxurious bedrooms in two-star hotels. The size of the bathroom is such that I could touch both opposite walls at the same time. I would estimate that the space between the foot of the bed and the corresponding facing wall to be approximately twenty four inches.
There is an additional door to the bedroom which serves as a Fire Exit, over which is an illuminated sign which is alight for twenty four hours a day As if to complement this, in the other corner there is a keyboard for the air-conditioning control with a flashing one-second interval white light, which is illuminated continually day and night. If you happen to wake up during the night, as one does sometimes in a strange environment, the chances of getting back to sleep are virtually nil.
If you are thinking of staying at this hotel ... drive on by; preferably to Shrewsbury. You will save more than the extra fuel cost and enjoy the experience.
I have not read the Shrewsbury Allbrighton Hotel revues. I do not need to ... I have been there.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank centaur1918
THeenan, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 16 September 2010

In response to your bedroom comments, I can appreciate that you found our Classic rooms a little small for you, and that you were disturbed by the fire exit signs when moved to 111. I will investigate further how we can reduce the light emitting from the air conditioning, and fire exit signs for the future.

Unfortunately we were not aware at the time of your booking that if was your wedding anniversary during your stay, had we been so, I am confident that the team would have upgraded you to one of our Superior or Executive bedrooms. However unfortunately during your stay we did not have any vacant rooms to be able to move you into.

Thank you for getting in touch with me directly, and I sure that we are able to restore your faith in us.

Kind regards

Devon
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 6,499 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

Wanted a taste of Georgian splendour and the exterior does the business. The interior is no longer up to it. There are hints of what was once inside. Our room however was shabby, verging on depressing and the meals were not good enough. An owner with cash needs to take the place by the throat and undertake a major and comprehensive revamp and restoration. Cheltenham is a lovely town, well worth a weekend of anyone's time.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am really sorry that you were disappointed with your stay at the Mercure Cheltenham Queen’s Hotel.

With reference to your comments on the condition of the Hotel; restoration work to the Grade II listed staircase has been ongoing for a number of months and I am pleased to say that further to this restoration work, refurbishment plans are in place for the lounge and ground floor cloakroom facilities which are due to commence in the coming months.

Kind regards,
Taunton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2010

Re my daughter's wedding reception. All the staff were extremely helpful and coureous and went out of their way to make our stay and the day itself special. Excellent venue & value for money. Highly recommended.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and compliments – I am delighted that you enjoyed your daughter’s special day. The team will be delighted to receive your feedback, and will encourage them to continue providing excellent service to all our guests. I look forward to being able to welcome you and your family again soon.

Kind regards

Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

Booked the hotel for my anniversary . Great location but the hotel is a shambles . Wallpaper hanging off the wall on the landings . No mini bar , door to the minibar was held shut with a piece of cardboard . When this fell out the door to the minibar was wide open so kept on walking in to it . Asked for more pillows , never came . We were put in a room on the side of the car park . Booked a late breakfast in bed , no chance of that. The staff started throwing bottles very very very loudly in to the recycling bin at 8 in the morning. So much for a lie in . That's not to mention the huge argument a couple had in the car park at 1 in the morning , followed by the man urinating on a car , and the intercourse behind a parked car. It ruined my anniversary . As I work in travel I would never sell this hotel to anyone. I found the whole weekend really very upsetting

• Stayed August 2010
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the service you experienced during your recent weekend break at Mercure Cheltenham Queen's Hotel. Please rest assured that I will investigate all the issues you have highlighted personally, so that I can understand how these situations occurred and introduce procedures which will prevent re-occurrence of issues such as these in the future. We normally pride ourselves on exceeding our guests expectations, so I am especially sorry that we let you down on your special wedding anniversary weekend.

With reference to your comments on the condition of the Hotel; restoration work to the Grade II listed staircase has been ongoing for a number of months and I am pleased to report that the re-hanging of the hand painted William Morris listed wallpaper commenced today. Unfortunately the restoration process has taken longer than desired due to the listed status of the building and wall paper. In addition to this restoration work, refurbishment plans are in place for the lounge and ground floor cloakroom facilities which are due to commence in the coming months.

Should you wish to discuss any of your issues in more detail, please feel free to call me on 01242 514754 or email me on trudy.heenan@accor.com ; I would certainly welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in the Mercure Cheltenham Queen's Hotel. Kind regards, Trudy Heenan
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

Excellent location for town centre. Room a real disappointment: dud lightbulbs; cracked sink, cracked wall tiles, cracked floor tiles with loose grout that got into your feet! The room wasn't even serviced! Restaurany service was poor: not asked if we wanted tea/coffee /toast, half toasted bread sent back & never seen again! How difficult is it to make toast? At no time did anyone ask if everything was ok or did we have a good stay, no sign of a feedback form: do they care so little about repeat business?

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank cburni
THeenan, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 1 September 2010
Dear Guest, I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at Mercure Cheltenham Queen's Hotel. I would like to thank you for your feedback, I so treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and am currently investigating the matter. Feel free to call me on 01242514754 or email me on H6632-GM@accor.com if you would like to discuss this further. Kind regards, Trudy Heenan.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

Just returned from a week-end break at this hotel as part of our 25th Wedding Anniversary celebrations. I had phoned the hotel the day before our arrival to arrange for a bottle of champagne to be put on ice in the room, just before our arrival at 6pm, as a surprise for my wife, and was assured this would be done. Needless to say there was no champagne in the room on arrival and when I complained at reception on our way out later that evening I received a muted apology and a line about how the manager would be informed. I never heard anything further!! The manager was obviously far too busy with organising the wedding parties that were taking place on both nights of our stay, which were obviously far more important than the normal paying guests!!
As for the room itself I had a choice when booking of a Classic Double, Superior Double or an Executive Double, so I upgraded to an Executive Double thinking I was playing it safe! WRONG!! Our Executive room was indicative of the rest of the hotel, although clean, in desperate need of refurbishment, probably a good 20 years overdue!! The main staircase had wallpaper hanging off the walls where there had been a water leak at some point in the past and had just been left, also the carpets were threadbare in many places.
Breakfast in the restaurant was farcical with the staff not able to cope with the numbers from the previous nights very noisy wedding parties. Although the food at the buffet breakfast itself was ok, the service to get coffee and toast from the French waiting staff (this hotel is owned by the French group Accor) was pitiful with us finally receiving a cafetiere of coffee but without any milk or sugar and having to wait even further while these items were retrieved from the kitchens, because the table hadn't been laid properly to start with!!.
In conclusion, until the owners start to spend some money on this hotel, of which there is no sign of at the moment, my advice would be to steer well clear and book somewhere else.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, I am really sorry to hear that your stay at Mercure Cheltenham Queen's wasn’t up to expectations. I would very much like to discuss the matter with you in person and would appreciate it if you would call me on 01242 514754. Kind regards, Trudy Heenan