“Delicious but pricey”

The Swallow Bakery
Ranked #6 of 12 Dessert in Cheltenham
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
“Delicious but pricey”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

The cakes in here are to die for but a little pricey!
I love this little bakery and the location where you can sit in the window and watch the world go by.

Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
“Satisfying or disappointing? A bit of both”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Well, I've been here a few times now and it's been different each time.

The coffee is generally really very good here, and paired with one of the amazing brownies its a real treat. I had one of their chocolate meringues and that was very good too - massive meringue, crispy on the outside and gooey and chocolatey inside.

The salads vary. I really enjoyed mine, it was delicious, but at £2.00 per spoonful its not only overpriced its cruel! Also, I had a panini - a bit formulaic mozzarella, pesto & tomato but it was all that was on offer that day and I was starving. It took a long time to get to my table, and when it arrived it was overdone. The waitress asked me if I wanted a new one as she presented it to me... Well, of course I should have just said then and there 'well, its overdone, so yes obviously I would like another one'. Not that I should have had to. My concern is that the staff should know when not to serve something to a customer. Can they not see when a panini is overdone? Why take a burned panini to a customer and ask them if they want another one? Why not just get another one full stop and then serve it?
Anyway, I was in a hurry and I was so hungry I just took it as it was. And it was just so boring. Not only was it hard and crunchy, it had no flavour - a scrape of bland pesto, tasteless rubbery mozzarella and a few slices of tomato. I should have complained... I am complaining!

The savoury food really could be improved, including the prices.
Otherwise I would come back here for coffee & cake.

• Visited July 2014
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Cake mmmmmmmmmm”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Afternoon tea: tea made from leaves in filter tea pot and fresh milk with wonderful cake, try raspberry loaf cake.

1 Thank Jules T
cheltenham
“Wow!!! Could stay all day”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I can't believe I haven't been to Swallow Bakery before! It's fabulous. Completely full of the most delicious cakes and savouries. It's almost impossible to choose what to have. You just want to stay all day and work your way through the lot! Love it!

1 Thank primada
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I have been to the Swallow bakery many times because the location is handy but I won't suggest it for lunch again. If it's coffee and cake you want it's fine but the dried up tartlets and sausage rolls together with the slightly odd collection of salads and veg are just not appetising. I don't know why they don't just do panini's and home made soup in the winter or similar. The last time I went I played safe and had an open salmon roll which was so hard I couldn't even cut it in two. Such a shame as the location is great.