“Cheltenham's best hot chocolate”
Review of Curious Cafe

Curious Cafe
Ranked #35 of 473 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Postcode is GL53 7NE
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We popped into the Curious Café as my son needing cheering up after he'd broken his collarbone! We were not disappointed. Our deluxe hot chocolate can with cream, chocolate buttons and marshmallows. The drink its self was lovely and hot, which often isn't the case with other hot chocolates we have had. The staff were very friendly and as the weather was so nice we had chance to sit in their lovely garden. We also had a tea cake which was huge and very taste. So we are very glad we chose the curious café to cheer my son up. We have been going here for years and we are never disappointed, well unless there are no seats left! Thank you curious cafe and see you again soon x

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I absolutely love this cafe and it is probably my favourite place to go at lunch time. The food is always hot and they are very very generous with portions, jacket potatoes have heaps of filling and loads of good quality cheese on them and paninis and sandwiches all come with salad, coleslaw and kettle chips (crisps) on the side. When you order a side of fries (which are delicious) you get a good deep bowl full to the top. They are also very good if you ask to have something changed so it's more to your liking, and its also really good value. The staff are polite and very prompt with service. The cafe itself is small but cosy with lovely bits of unique art dotted around and mismatched chairs and the walled garden looks like a fairytale garden also with quirky bits of furniture. They've done very well to create such a green space in such an urban area. I would definitely recommend this cafe I just wished it open a little bit longer as I've been too late a few times! It closes at 2:30 on weekdays

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I don’t know whether I’ve missed something, but the Curious Café I visited today was not the one that reflects these reviews. I visited late in the afternoon to be greeted by silence, despite three or four members of staff being present, no “hello” or smile of acknowledgement. I wondered through and found a table, after waiting for a menu to be brought over I decided to find one myself – again, no sign of acknowledgement. I eventually went up to order only to be told – finally – I was in the wrong queue, and went over to the right one. I was asked “what do you want?”, by the waitress, rather than something more polite such as “what would you like?”, which was overwhelmingly annoying. After sitting back down I was told my selection was not available and had a menu thrown in front of me forcing me to choose again whilst the waitress loomed over me.
Eventually our food arrived in good time, but it was nothing better than school lunchbox food, cheap ham and a few cut up tomatoes, my friend had the bacon, brie, and grape sandwich with whole grapes shoved in. None of the wait staff came to check how our meal was – entirely reflective of the care they had for customers and the place that they work.
We decided enough was enough; we went up to pay and leave, the girl who took our payment stood texting the whole time which very much tipped us over the edge. I work in a restaurant myself and was appalled by the service I received.

6  Thank ElizabethA90
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Fabulous breakfast, friendly and quick service and no-one batted an eye lid at me and my daughter sharing a Blacksmiths (very generous full English). Will definitely be back.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Just had lovely hearty breakfast BUT
Had to wait nearly 40 minutes. When they then say - oh it's really busy. Well get more kitchen staff !

2  Thank Colin F