“Authentic Thai Food (Ahan Thai)”

Siam Smile Restaurant
Ranked #52 of 454 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Siam Smile focuses on a fusion of Thai and Malaysian cuisine and giving you the true South-East Asian culinary experience. Located in Suffolk Road, within walking distance of Cheltenham town centre and with a car park nearby, Siam Smile is ideal for couples, families and parties of all sizes.
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“Authentic Thai Food (Ahan Thai)”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

This is by far the best Thai restaurant in Cheltenham, the food tastes as good as what you would eat in Thailand.
The staff are very friendly and helpful, I told the waitress I liked very spicy food and she brought out a small dish of chilli and garlic sauce for me to add to my curry - it was delicious.
A previous poster wrote that he/she was disappointed there was no vegetables in his/her Masoman Gai (chicken) curry. I did cooking lessons in Bangkok and learnt how to make this curry, it doesn't have vegetables in it. It's better to stay true to the traditional recipe that way you know you are eating proper authentic food.
Great value too, there was five of us out for my mums birthday, we had starters, main meals and drinks for a total of £105. Absolute bargain for top quality food and atmosphere.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank bluenosedub

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What can I say, taste explosions with such nice service..”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The food here takes Tai taste in to orbit!
Must try the crispy aromatic duck with green chili.. Omg! New dimension of a classic dish!
Soo many unique tastes here,. Pick something and just ride the taste roller coaster thro till the end.. Lush!!! :)

1 Thank Scott C
Brecon Beacons National Park, United Kingdom
“Superb Thai despite noisy customers!”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Managed to book table at last minute on Cheltenham Gold Cup day, and unfortunately there were some rather noisy customers at the next table. However, our meal was superb. Mixed starter was excellent, followed by steamed salmon which was a revelation…tempted to order exactly the same next time we visit. Relieved we'd avoided the easy option of ordering a set meal. Recently moved to the area, so we're working our way through the local restaurants, and this is the best so far, will definitely be back.

2 Thank peter b
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Was it Chinese, was it Thai?”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Very ordinary, if not poor, experience. I used to go to many Thai/SE Asian restaurants in London and always loved their hot,clean, fresh flavours. Alas, Siam Smile has none of these.
Poor welcome, no one to take coats or anything...or anywhere to put them, lol.....poor service in terms of 'what would you like?' and poor knowledge from staff of what food was actually available and what it actually was....if they spoke to one at all.
No standard Thai staples like Satay skewers of various types, no fried squid dishes (weird steamed one tho'), no butterflied prawn skewers...etc, etc.Missed the wonderful flavours of fresh lemon grass, galangal, ginger, good chillies.....to name but a few.
It all seemed so 'standard' Chinese takeaway...dreadful Mixed Starters straight out of the Cash and Carry Chinese Wholesaler...clearly not made in house at all. The other dishes on the set menu may well have been, to an extent, but were mere variations on a theme...i.e. same 'curry'/stir fry' but with different ingredients so we ended up with three dishes on our table that seemed virtually indistinguishable...apart from one having a few tired prawns in and one having yet more cheap chicken pieces in(as did the soup)...the other just didn't contain anything interesting apart from a few tired vegetables. Flavours were all very samey, sickly, sweet and salty. The rice was poor too.....The only redeeming feature was a reasonable beef fillet that turned up about 20 mins after everything else...just before we lost the will to live, but alas, we were too full/fed up by then.
I made two, much more authentic and interesting SE Asian meals myself over the weekend for a total price of about £4 a meal....so very disappointed at the standard of cooking, ingredients, value and authenticity of this meal that cost us about £35 a head with (indifferent) wine. No wonder we eat out less and less in Cheltenham.

3 Thank slicvic13
uk
“My favourite restaurant in Cheltenham”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I have eaten at Siam Smile for years - and it remains my favourite restaurant in Cheltenham. The food is delicious, and although slightly on the expensive side, it is worth it. My main problem when I come here is what to pick. I can highly recommend the red curry though!!

• Visited February 2014