“A wonderful hotel”
Review of Ellenborough Park

Ellenborough Park
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 10 July 2011

I'd read the reviews on tripadvisor before visiting and so Ellenborough Park had a lot to live up to. I was not disappointed.

The service is the best I have ever come across in England and this alone puts many other 'luxury' hotels to shame. The staff were all polite, quietly helpful and extremely well trained. You can tell rhus us an enjoyable place to work and the staff seem to take a genuine pride in their work. The hotel is full of thoughtful touches, there's golf umbrellas and a boot and welly store if it's wet, there's free valet parking and we were able to stay and enjoy the facilities even after checking out. The copy of the 'Radio Times' in the room even had a bookmark in the correct day!

The spa is lovely, the Restraunt genuinely excellent and the surroundings beautiful. Ellensborough Park has restored my faith in the British hotel industry. I would thoroughly and unreservedly recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2011
4  Thank DrJPSnow
There are newer reviews for Ellenborough Park

Reviewed 2 July 2011

What a lovely hotel, staff were very attentive, rooms were very clean and fresh, we didn't have dinner there as we went out but we experienced breakfast which was nice. My wife used the spa facility (excellent) Afternoon tea was also very nice. We returned late to the hotel and the bar staff were very accommodating. My wife wishes to visit more often and I would definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank staffsfoody
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I took my wife for lunch here on Saturday 18th June, this is the second time we have been here, the last time was for Sunday lunch (probably one of the best Sunday lunches we have had for years). The approach to the hotel gives an air of relaxation and the buildings look as though the £15,000,000 spent on refurbishment has been money well spent. We were shown through to the lounge as we had opted to eat in the Beaufort dining room. We were seated promptly in very opulent surroundings and given the drinks menu along with a separate wine menu. We both had a cheeky little amontillado and I followed that at the same time with the best martini bianco I have ever tasted in my life!. We were then given the set menu which is £18 for 2 courses and £24 for three courses which is excellent value considering the surroundings, the service and the quality of the food. My wife chose smoked duck caesar salad which was divine. She almost licked the plate! I had cured sea trout with sesame, soy and coriander dressing which was very light and utterly delicious. For the main course my wife chose roasted chicken breast with turned jersey potatoes, carrots and shelled broad beans. Sounds ordinary but was very well received. I had loin of pork which had very fine seared 5 spiced rub on the outside together with sage and onion bon bon and a pork crackling cracker ( and what a cracker it was!) together with apple sauce and the same vegetables. That was fantastic - one of the best pieces of pork I have tasted in ages- succulent and tender. To accompany the meal I ordered a bottle of chardonnay from Australia called 'ten minute traktor ride'. The sommelier enjoyed my choice of wine and this went very well with the food. The sommelier is very knowleagable and helpful and will give background information on any of the wines you have chosen. We decided that we could just manage one more tiny morsel as the food had been so good so far. My wife had a buttermilk pannecotta with raspberry sorbet and sugar sheets (try saying that when you've had a few!) with pistachio cubed biscuits and raspberry coulis and I had a selection of cheeses, biscuits breads and chutneys. Unlike the Hotel on the Park which charges outrageous supplements for cheese on a set menu there was additional cost. As the waitress was listing the cheeses presented on my plate she finished off with the last cheese being called 'I love you' to which I was quite flattered! To complete the puddings we had an absolutely outstanding pudding wine recommended by the sommelier which accentuated both our courses. The breads and butters supplied at the beginning of the meal were also first rate. All in all a truly wonderful lunch of exceptional quality and service and the chef and staff should be highly commended and thoroughly proud of themselves. We will definately be back in the very near future.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank valhalla13
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I love to pick faults but I couldn't find one.

It is the first time we had been out as a family with our 6 week old son. The staff were fantastic and couldn't do enough for us. Facilities 1st class. No expense spared in everything this hotel offers.

A break we will never forget and we all cannot wait for another excuse to go again

Room Tip: Simply tell reception your requirements
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Whilst I appreciate the hotel has recently reopened after a major refurbishment, our weekend stay was faultless. Nothing was to much trouble for any of the staff, who all looked happy to be at work. (Which makes a change!) We are already looking forward to booking another weekend.

Room Tip: Join their members club online which allows a fre.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Stayed at this hotel last weekend with my husband and children aged 12 & 2.

The hotel is beautiful, the grounds are lovely, the spa is wonderful, the food excellent and the warm outdoor pool is heavenly, but it is none of these things that the hotel so special. It is the staff that are truly outstanding here - from the welcome, through to every member of staff you meet during your stay.

The manager’s welcome note says it all really: “each guest should feel that their arrival is the one event we have all been waiting for”. I can honestly say I have stayed at many 4 & 5 star hotels and frequented most of London's top end hotels, but never found such genuinely friendly service like this in the UK before (much more in keeping with USA). So many upmarket hotels seem to confuse good service with snooty-aloofness - not so at this hotel. Nothing was a problem - taking meals outside, special requests for our toddler, bringing board games into the great hall, finding a phone charger...

The breakfast was superb and dinner at the Brasserie was delicious. The service in the Brasserie was a little less attentive that in other areas of the hotel, but no less charming.

I should also mention that we were upgraded on arrival to the most enormous suite – a real treat.

Highly recommended!

1  Thank charliesmum
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We have just returned from a family weekend away staying at Ellenborough Park and all I can say is that it is one of the most amazing hotels we have ever stayed in and we travel alot!!!! The hotel inside and out is absolutely beautiful, with excellent facilities and very helpful and friendly staff. The hotel really has thought of everything you need for a relaxing weekend away with family or friends. The food and wine in both restaurants was absolutely gorgeous, with very relaxed atmospheres. The outside pool area is lovely and we would definitely recommend visiting the beautiful spa.

I can honestly say that I cannot think of one bad thing to say about Ellenborough Park, from the moment we drove through the beautiful grounds to be met by excellent staff and stepped in the relaxed atmosphere of the hotel, to the bar and the restaurants and the beautifully designed bedrooms and lounge areas, this has to be one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in and if you are thinking of visiting, do not heistate for one moment more - go ahead and book!!!

2  Thank KatieBfromHook
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheltenham
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Malmesbury
The Lygon Arms
The Lygon Arms
#6 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Ellenborough Park? Share your experiences!