“Just perfect!!”
Review of Ellenborough Park

Ellenborough Park
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 19 October 2011

been before for dinner, stayed for one night (unfortunately) recently. This hotel, is in my view the best in the south west. From when you arrive outside reception, you are met and your luggage and car is managed for you. Reception and checking in, is when your stay really starts. You are treated exceptionally well, given a tour of the the main hotel, and escorted to your room whilst your luggage is delivered to your room, Everything about this hotel exudes quality and it is very obvious that every detail has been planned for your stay. The staff are delightful, the rooms are outstanding, immaculate, beautifully designed with every detail considered and delivered. The restaurant is fine dining, but delivered in an intimate and thoughtful way. The food and wine choices are excellent. The spa and gardens are just stunning. If you are looking to stay anywhere in the south west you need to be staying here!!

Room Tip: any room is a good room in this hotel from what i saw
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank James4298
There are newer reviews for Ellenborough Park

Reviewed 24 September 2011

Once in a while you find a hotel that works for you on every level. You enjoy your time at the property so much that you regret that you did not stay an extra day, and you are already plotting how you can get back before you even leave. For us, this was one of those hotels.

The hotel consists of four main buildings. The impressive Tudor manor house contains the main public rooms of the hotel and about fifteen rooms. The other buildings are newly built or restored structures that sit very close to the manor house and are the location of the remaining rooms. We stayed in the Woodland Court rooms which are in a u-shaped building with the pool in the courtyard. The room was very spacious with a large wide foyer and a dressing alcove off of it. On either side of the alcove were closets that allowed for ample storage space. The bedroom area was very attractive with a comfortable country look and good use of rich fabrics and elegant furnishings. The quarter canopy top bed was the center piece. There was a nice writing desk, comfortable chairs to relax in and very good lighting. Our only complaint about the room was that the windows where a little too small. The large white marbled bathroom was pure luxury with separate shower and water closet, duel sinks and a beautiful large claw foot tub that you just had to use.

During our stay we had breakfast each morning in the elegantly paneled Beauford Dining room. Breakfast consisted of a standard buffet plus the option of ordering hot items off the menu. We had dinner each night in the less formal Tudor Club Brasserie which has a nice club like atmosphere. This location has menu choices that include some light fair options. All meals were very good with excellent service provided.

We did have enough time to enjoy a swim in the warm decent sized pool. There is also a very nice but small gym with full bathrooms next to the pool. We did not have an opportunity to use or see the spa which is part of the main building. A good place to relax is the Great Hall. The environment is that of a grand English country home and it is the perfect spot for a drink, tea, to read a paper, or check your email at the computer available to guests without charge. Free internet is provided if you bring your laptop and want to use it in your room.

Two features of the hotel really stood out. The staff is very friendly but professional. They are even willing to take time to chat with you. Second it is very obvious that no corners were cut when restoring and expanding this property. Everything looks great and blends in very nicely.

The only area that we thought could use some improvement was the landscaping. It is fine but not impressive like everything else.

Our stay might have been enhanced by low occupancy, but even if it was a little busier, I do not think that would have made that much of a difference. Wishing we could return soon, don’t miss out on a stay here.

Room Tip: Hard to say - all rooms are different.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J_and_A_1
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Stayed one night at Ellenborough Park this week.
We loved the building, the interior and it's furnishings , the food and chef are fantastic, and overall the staff were really lovely. Nothing was too much for any of them.
Thanks to you all at the Hotel.
We shall return very soon for another stay.

Best wishes Angela

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I have to say that I normally stay at the very good Hotel du Vin when I come to Cheltenham, but on this occasion the place was fully booked and for a little more cost, I booked a room here, as the hotel was actually a few miles closer to my meetings.

I should also point out the usual introduction; global executive for a multinational who has been travelling the world for 15 years, as well as a father with kids who likes to holiday, with over 150 days a year in hotels from the Four Seasons to the Holiday Inn Express.

So…The Ellenborough Park…my headline? An excellent hotel with impeccable service, superb facilities, and very little to fault a growing reputation that is very well deserved.

As you drive up the long driveway around the historic house, and look at the sweeping vistas, you already know you are staying someone rather special. Check in was smooth, with an attentive bellboy (who looked genuinely surprised when I tipped him) and efficient receptionist.

I was in Room 7, just a regular ‘Classic’ room. It looked spotless, and clearly very recently refitted to the very highest standards. Very tasteful furnishings, a flat screen plasma, minibar, loads of storage space, two windows with different views, and a very inviting large king size bed.

The bathroom was small, but very nicely presented, with a huge shower and every amenity you could wish for. It didn’t have a bath – which was a shame.

I have three top pet hates in hotels and these guys scored 2/3 which is impressive;

1) Having to pay for slow Internet connection – what a delight to open my two laptops and log on to fast free perfect wireless (well done and other hotels – please take note!)
2) Hotels that have TV sound piped into the bathroom that never seem to have the control working – a weird ‘hate’ I admit, but again, I could actually listen to the news in the morning as I shaved – well done
3) And the fail? Far too much paper all around the place – everywhere you looked a note on something or other…but that’s a very minor fail in fairness

The grounds are stunning, as are the superb historic reception and dining rooms and the swimming pool looked very inviting.

I had room service, which was fast and hot, but I do think the menu was a little restricted and I had breakfast in the dining room in the morning which was one of the best I have had in any hotel.

Service everywhere was flawless and the attention to detail impressive. On arrival I asked for my shirt to be pressed, and by the time I put the phone down, Housekeeping was at the door. They then phones me to say that they thought the shirt had picked up some dirt in the case, and that they would wash and press it for me…excellent.

A strange observation was that my bed (a king) was actually two singles put together which meant I spent a lot of the night in the growing gap in the middle of the bed. Strange, because you couldn’t separate the bed into two singles so I didn’t understand why they didn’t use a regular King mattress. But again, a minor point.

To sum up, a great place, fantastically managed and beautifully restored and although it is expensive, go and treat yourself!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank milesw
Reviewed 10 September 2011

If your after the wedding of a life time then stop looking now. we looked at wedding venues before, and this place beats them by miles. Completely exceeded all our expectations and our guests were amazed. Its the detail which counts, its the little things which makes it such a perfect day, like the mood lighting and electic blinds in the wedding breakfast area. need i say more! Ellenborough park should be classed a 6 star. I can understand why they are winning awards even though its only just opened april 2011. thanks to all the staff. Mr and Mrs pinington.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank pthev
Reviewed 8 September 2011

we stayed at Elleborough park for our Wedding anniversary, It was the most amazing experience we have ever had. The location is just magical the service and facilities are Just 5* "Would recommend having a relaxing massage at the spa" Being a chef myself the food was first class with lots of choice & very helpful staff. We stayed in the most luxurious rooms with a superior four posterbed and a beautiful ensuite.

We never wanted to go home thank you everyone for the most relaxing enjoyable stay.

Mr & Mrs Mills

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Oh boy. I did not realise that this hidden gem would be this good. This was a weekend break for our wedding anniversary, so wanted it to be a bit special. Well, it pretty much exceeded our expectations. We booked a standard room (they call it The Classic room). On arrival, the Manor House was stunning. As we drove up, 2 very well presented young men greeted us and took the car away to be parked for us. Our luggage went on ahead. The receptionist was very welcoming and invited us to be seated as she booked us in. She was very professional, but still warm. Then, to our amazement, she invited us to be shown around the hotel, which we happily did. There is even a boot room where you may borrow socks and green wellies for walking. The tour was brief and ended up at the door to our room. As the door opened, the wow factor hit us. A four poster bed, very high quality furniture and fittings and a superb bathroom with a shower enclosure large enough for a rugby team (said my wife), a netball team I preferred to think. The room (room 6) had a south facing view of the grounds. The room offered the usual extras, but in addition, magazines, radio times, with a bookmark inserted on the correct date (honest!) binoculars (actually these were missing), umbrella, torch! Free wifi. the TV had a clever door enclosure if you wanted to hide it away. Slippers, bath robes, lovely shower gels etc. The room was spotlessly clean and the bed very comfortable. There is an evening turn down service which is very good. We booked a celebration package, which comprised of one night in the fine dining room, 1 night in the Brasserie and 2 cream teas (which we used as lunch). The cream teas are divine. Scones baked to order (you actually book a time slot), choice of teas, served by wonderful serving staff in the great hall. It could have done with some very feint "musak" in the background as you could here a pin drop. Every area of the hotel is lovely and the recent refurbishment has been completed to the highest of standards and respected the property's heritage too. The fine dining was superb. The food was excellent and prepared to the exact request. The wine is very expensive, but you have to push the boat out sometimes, right? The sommelier (a Spanish chap) was first class. If I have to find one slight negative, it is again, the lack of atmosphere due to no background music - this dining room is screaming out for a pianist or similar, just to set the scene perfectly. The management should give this serious thought. The Brasserie (2nd night) was also very good and had a lot more atmosphere (largely due to several young children, we dine early) but all good. We used the Spa, adjacent to the main building, which was equally excellent. the staff there were 1st class and very friendly. I took a 25 minute massage and the masseur was very attentive and put you at ease. The changing rooms were divine and I dawdled there on my own, just because it was so luxurious. The spa hot tub was nice, if small, but no bother. I did not get to use the outdoor pool, but took a look and it looked lovely. Again, changing rooms excellent. The extensive grounds were well kept and some nice walks can be had. Overall, I think this is a pricey hotel, but you get what you pay for. Despite the excellence of the property, facilities and accommodation, it was the staff that ultimately made this a heavenly place to be. I tip my hat to the person who has put together such an excellent, well trained set of staff, I would not have thought it possible. If there is a hotel in the United Kingdom better than this, then I would very much like someone to tell me about it.

Room Tip: Book a room in the main Manor house
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WeirdFish63
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheltenham
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#6 of 6 in Broadway
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Malmesbury

Been to Ellenborough Park? Share your experiences!