“Fantastic service and beautiful hotel”
Review of Ellenborough Park

Ellenborough Park
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
A Holiday Lettings verified reviewer
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Room Tip: Go for the Kauto Star suite, fantastic views on three sides of the room and real wow factor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank A Holiday Lettings verified reviewer
There are newer reviews for Ellenborough Park

Reviewed 8 August 2012

Words cannot express how amazing this hotel is. We have visited many top hotels all over the world and this matches, if not beats, the best (including the 7* Burj Al Arab in Dubai!). I made a reservation for my husband and I to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary, and all contacts with the hotel via email and telephone were dealt with promptly and in a professional manner.
On arrival, the grounds are simply stunning with well manicured lawns and gardens, and a sweeping driveway leading to a perfectly renovated building, totally in keeping with its heritage. We were met at the door and our bags taken to our room whilst we checked in. Valet parking appears to be encouraged. We were then given a short tour of the property and then escorted to our upgraded and beautiful room at the top of the tower.
The bed was decorated with petals, a welcome message awaited us on the desk, the views were breathtaking, the decor delightful, a lovely roll top bath sat in the corner of the room, whilst the main bathroom had a separate (massive!) shower and loo. Light filled the room from windows on all four sides. The only down side was the spiral staircase which led to the room, as I get terrible vertigo! It was well worth it for the views and the quality and size of the room.
Every small detail has been considered at this property. Piped music to the bathrooms, ipod docks, complimentary newspapers, candles in rooms, turn back service, electric blinds, heated floor in the bathroom, gloriously comfortable beds, too many more to mention!
We ate in the Brasserie and the food and service were excellent. We ventured into Cheltenham to eat for our second night but next time we will try the fine dining restaurant. Breakfast was also superb, with a great number of options to suit all needs.
I had the best treatment of my life in the spa. Vicky personalised the massage just for me, sheer perfection!
Every member of staff appeared to make the effort to go the extra mile to ensure that we enjoyed our stay. All were friendly yet maintained professionalism at all times. All were efficient and always had a smile for us.
We will be back, probably many times! This spa hotel must be the best in the UK........I hope management keeps it this way.

Room Tip: Room 14 was superb at the top of the tower. We did view a smaller traditional room and it was still...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ninabean
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Stayed at the hotel on 28th July 2012 for 1 night with my best friend and our hubbies for a Birthday celebration. The hotel itself has bags of character, a welcoming and relaxed atmosphere and the grounds are beautiful and excellently maintained. Service and all the staff were 1st Class which made the 4 of us wish we could stay longer. Stayed in a Classic Room and the Tower room; very nicely decorated with great facilities; a great nights sleep in an extremely comfortable bed. Loved being able to listen to my Iphone music in the Radio/clock dock port; shower was superb and the illuminated make-up mirror in the bathroom was a godsend for my failing eyesight.

Room Tip: The Tower Room (number 14) has windows on 3 sides with fantastic views of the hotel grounds. It has...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Many hotels have great facilities and/or beautiful settings, but what made our holiday was the service. From the valet who helped with our luggage to the headwaiter at the formal restaurant all the staff there made us feel very welcome, and they were more than happy to accomodate where possible. My wife asked what time the outdoor heated pool closed, and the person at guest services just said the can keep it open till whatever time she wanted. I am definitely happy to recommend this hotel to anyone on the service alone. Travelling with a baby under a year old, we welcomed all the help they provided.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank DavidDoubleU
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I stayed at the hotel for a family wedding inbearly July. I was suitably impressed with the hotel. The staff were helpful, polite and attentive at all time. The food that we had throughout the stay was beautiful, well presented and tasty. The rooms that we booked for our immediate family were all superbly appointed and spacious. The beds, pillows and bedding were luxurious and certainly ensured a deep and restful night sleep? It was expensive however, I would certainly return this time without the family.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen B
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I booked a table for two to celebrate a special occasion. I had frequently dined at this hotel (formally the De La Bere) about 30 years ago and was curious to see if the current owners had spoilt the beautiful original features. I'm pleased to report that the architects have combined new with old with some success. The Ellenborough Park is set in a fabulous landscaped parkland with additional cotswold stone buildings. The original rooms, which include a breathtaking anteroom and dining room, have been lovingly restored at no expense. Anyway, enough of the gushing - more of the evening in question......the staff were polite, attentive and friendly. The meal very good. The problem came when I questioned the large amount of sediment which had accumulated in the bottom of my very expensive South African red wine. The sommelier was summoned and proceeded to explain that this was normal for good wines! As this was a special occasion, I had to bite my tongue and order another glass of red (this time an excellent and equally expensive Australian, miraculously with no sediment). I'm afraid this incident spoilt an otherwise good dining experience as I felt the sommelier was talking out of his teutonic postier. Sediment in the wine bottle, yes but not in the glass - have they not heard of decanting?

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank awesome_oracle
Reviewed 27 July 2012 via mobile

Situation magnificent. Historical architecture and beautiful designs are stunning. Rooms and lounges are luxurious. Restaurant service and menus are certainly of the best in the world. To be recommended.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Knysalan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheltenham
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Malmesbury
The Lygon Arms
The Lygon Arms
#6 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Ellenborough Park? Share your experiences!