“Proper!”
Review of Ellenborough Park

Ellenborough Park
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 19 August 2012

what a lovely one nighter! - this is truly 5 star luxury and has to be one of the best hotels and restaurants in the area

the quality of all the staff were first class and you could tell they had been trained well

the restaurant - food - somelia were all top quality - well done to them

Room Tip: we stayed in a suite and it was quality - loved the bathroom
1  Thank brocky10
Write a ReviewReviews (1,416)

Reviewed 15 August 2012

Ellenborough Park has got it spot on. Perfect weekend break for hubby and I (without children) and from the moment we drove up the driveway, we knew it would be special. Our easy checkin, the stunning room with little personal touches made us feel welcome straight away. And seriously, the rooms are out of this world. Uber-romantic and luxurious, we didn't want to leave...
We booked through Mr and Mrs Smith - had a wonderful complimentary cocktail in the bar followed by the most divine dinner in the main restaurant. The rhurbarb souffle will stay long in my memory!
Breakfast was yet another culinary experience - with amazing service. Spa also great and Cheltenham itself was a beautiful city.
I can't recommend this hotel highly enough - if you are in need of some serious pampering, just go and enjoy every minute.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2012

After looking at potential wedding venues for nearly a year, I can't believe I nearly missed this true gem! After looking on Ellenborough's website & talking on the phone to Sarah, wedding coordinator at Ellenborough, I decided that it was well worth a visit. Living in Cheltenham myself this venue is so convenient in terms of location from our church, just 3 miles & also Cheltenham town centre, 2.5 miles.

When we arrived at the hotel a very polite & friendly bell boy greeted us at the front of the hotel & showed us through the the main reception area....which was lovely! The hotel is very old, however I feel that the decor really compliments it's charm & character. The ceiling has been opened up to let the natural light in & other modernisations make this hotel really feel like it's up there with the best of them!

We were shown around by Erika, one of the wedding coordinators, who was very knowledgable & answered all of my many questions! The grounds of the hotel are truly beautifull. The flower beds all look lovely & grass well kept. The herb garden is aromatic & really unique. There are so many potential areas for photographs to be taken both inside & out of the hotel. With the stunning hotel itself as a fantastic backdrop.

Erika showed us the De La Bere room, which is where the main wedding breakfast is held. The room itself is fairly neautral, which is ideal really, as you can really make the room your own. It has a fantastic LED lighting system which really gives the room a different ambience for the evening part of the day. We were really impressed by what we were shown & once we had seen the bedrooms, we just knew Ellenborough was the venue for us!

I visited a 2nd time, yesterday, with my parents this time. We did not book to be shown round, as I wanted to see whether the service & staff were as impressive as our last vist. I'm pleased to report that they were even better! We decided to sit in the lounge area & try the afternoon cream tea & a selection of sandwiches. These were totally delicous! Attention to detail was excellent, with orange flavouring the scones, hand made crisps served with the sandwiches & our dietry requirements catered for brilliantly!

We met the assistant manager, who was extremley helpfull & showed us some different areas of the hotel we had not seen before. However a big thank you must go to the lovely man who is the assistant catering & banquet manager. He was SO helpfull, he gave up over an hour of his afternoon yesterday to show myself & my parents around the whole hotel. We looked at 4 different bedrooms-they are amazing!! I literally can't wait to stay in one. The bedrooms vary in standard & price. Ranging from £250 a night up to around £800 for a Suite. All are amazing whichever one you go for! We were also showed the different LED lighting combinations, to match my colour theme in the De La Bere main wedding room.

So...to some up Ellenborough Park, it is every girls dream wedding venue....It is certainly mine I just never thought I would be able to afford to get married in a venue like this one! Ellenborough is extremley competitve in terms of hire & cost per head charges. I was pleasantly suprised. That's not to say that they scrimp on anything, as from what I have seen this is certainly not the case!! The head chef at Ellenborough Park is David Kelman, who has previously worked at the prestigous Lords of the Manor hotel deep in the Cotswolds & also Wyck Hill House, also a top hotel near by. So you won't be disappointed with the food. Greg Wallace from Masterchef has even visited the hotel & sampled David's food...check out You Tube for a peek!

Ellenborough Park, you've certainly won over my heart...the perfect location for our big day!

Room Tip: We didn't stay over, so I can't yet comment on the 'sleep quality' 'spa' or...
1  Thank AlexandraWalker
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My wife and I stayed there last weekend to have a night away from the kids. Lovely place to rest, relax and enjoy ourselves. The food was great and the rooms were lovely. The staff could also not do enough for us.

Room Tip: Room 3 is a lovely room and has views looking over the racecourse...
2  Thank dt99rrc
Reviewed 12 August 2012

we stayed at hotel . me and my wife were travelling on our anniversary.
we chose to stay at the ellenborough park . its simply the best.
the rooms are so well kept, and decorated. it truly feels good.
the food was nice too.
the staff was nice and gentle.
the breakfast was nice too.
the location of the hotel is good too.
the interiors, and outdoors are great .
overall we just had a wonderful time.

A Holiday Lettings verified reviewer
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Room Tip: Go for the Kauto Star suite, fantastic views on three sides of the room and real wow factor.
1  Thank A Holiday Lettings verified reviewer
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Words cannot express how amazing this hotel is. We have visited many top hotels all over the world and this matches, if not beats, the best (including the 7* Burj Al Arab in Dubai!). I made a reservation for my husband and I to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary, and all contacts with the hotel via email and telephone were dealt with promptly and in a professional manner.
On arrival, the grounds are simply stunning with well manicured lawns and gardens, and a sweeping driveway leading to a perfectly renovated building, totally in keeping with its heritage. We were met at the door and our bags taken to our room whilst we checked in. Valet parking appears to be encouraged. We were then given a short tour of the property and then escorted to our upgraded and beautiful room at the top of the tower.
The bed was decorated with petals, a welcome message awaited us on the desk, the views were breathtaking, the decor delightful, a lovely roll top bath sat in the corner of the room, whilst the main bathroom had a separate (massive!) shower and loo. Light filled the room from windows on all four sides. The only down side was the spiral staircase which led to the room, as I get terrible vertigo! It was well worth it for the views and the quality and size of the room.
Every small detail has been considered at this property. Piped music to the bathrooms, ipod docks, complimentary newspapers, candles in rooms, turn back service, electric blinds, heated floor in the bathroom, gloriously comfortable beds, too many more to mention!
We ate in the Brasserie and the food and service were excellent. We ventured into Cheltenham to eat for our second night but next time we will try the fine dining restaurant. Breakfast was also superb, with a great number of options to suit all needs.
I had the best treatment of my life in the spa. Vicky personalised the massage just for me, sheer perfection!
Every member of staff appeared to make the effort to go the extra mile to ensure that we enjoyed our stay. All were friendly yet maintained professionalism at all times. All were efficient and always had a smile for us.
We will be back, probably many times! This spa hotel must be the best in the UK........I hope management keeps it this way.

Room Tip: Room 14 was superb at the top of the tower. We did view a smaller traditional room and it was still...
2  Thank ninabean
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheltenham
Buckland Manor
Charingworth Manor
Charingworth Manor
#1 of 3 in Chipping Campden
Queens Hotel Cheltenham - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Ellenborough Park? Share your experiences!