“luxury retreat in the British postcard-like countryside”
Review of Ellenborough Park

Ellenborough Park
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Located right outside the little town of Cheltenham, Ellenborough park is a wonderful gem for those looking for a rest in the countryside or eager to discover the Cotswolds.

We went there with family members who live outside the country so they could experience the British postcard-like countryside a few hours away from London.
The warm and welcoming staff knew it was a special w-e for us and set us up in what seemed to be the best "Traditional rooms" of the hotel. We stayed in the tower with great views of the pool and countryside (room 12 and 14, in the main house). Both rooms were quite large, tastefully decorated, with very comfortable beds and massive windows allowing for plenty of natural light. On top of the shower, room 14 has a large elevated bath near the bed separated by a screen, perfect for a romantic end of the day.

The rest of the hotel is full of charm, with a relaxing swimming pool.

If it's raining make sure you borrow a pair of boots, socks, a warm jacket and an umbrella from their boot room and take a walk up the hill in the countryside. Public walking trail starts right outside the hotel.

Also don't miss tea time in the Great Hall with their excellent scones and teas, served on white linen and tableware which will make you feel like centuries old royalty. Go there right before sunset for an extra bit of magic when the colours of the stained glass windows shine throughout the room.

Breakfast was good and served in the main dinning room. We did not eat at the restaurant but judging by the scones and salmon sandwiches we will definitely give it a try next time.

One little note about the bar: our waiter did not know how the properly prepare the drinks (cocktails and an old whisky) which was a bit disappointing.

In a nutshell, we loved it and so did our family. We'll definitely come back!

Room Tip: Room 12 and 14 in the tower (main house) have large windows with breathtaking views on the countrysi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 25 August 2012

Just returned from a two-night stay at this lovely property.
The first thing you notice when entering the hotel is the lovely, expansive, well manicured lawns. A great sight that immediately de-stresses.
The room we had (No. 14) was breathtaking, a tower room with stunning views. We had a hard time leaving the room! Being at the top, there were no rooms beside us (or obviously, above us). There are plenty of stairs to get up there, but it wasn't a problem for us and well worth it.
Every one of the staff we encountered was great. Professional but also friendly.
A little stuffy in the breakfast room, in the sense that the second your plate is clean they swoop to take it away, but I guess it's better to be that way than the opposite. It was also like a library in there! Breakfast itself was great. The black pudding was the best I ever tasted. Cocktails at the Brasserie were very nice.
Overall, a memorable stay, and we're already making plans to go back. And to the same room!

3  Thank RRLondra
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We have just returned from Ellenborough Park and cannot stop raving about it. The website does not do it justice and I booked another hotel before this one in Lower Slaughter. Thank goodness I looked at the reviews of Ellenborough Park as this persuaded me to change the booking to Ellenborough and we were not disappointed. We stayed for 3 nights and as soon as we swung into the driveway we knew we had come to the right place. Everywhere is immaculately kept, inside and out. All communal areas, grounds, our bedroom and bathroom were immaculately clean. We had a fabulous luxury room with a little outdoor seating area overlooking the small outdoor pool. if you book a luxury room I would recommend requesting one of these, located in Woodland Court. very spacious, bright bathrooms with roll top bath and separate shower. We ate in the Brasserie and the Beaufort dining room, both of which were fantastic with a fab wine list. The staff were exceptional - all were incredibly friendly and professional. We sampled the spa as well both my mum and I had treatments. Again an immaculate facility with beautifully furnished relaxation room, never mind the treatments!! Both were excellent with well trained staff. I know everyone says this and I don't want to sound like a pompous idiot but I do travel quite extensively and am quite discerning about where I stay (OK I just sounded like a pompous idiot!!). I thought this hotel was one of the best I've stayed in both here and abroad for the full package comfort, quality, service, value for money (we had the 2 nights for one deal then got a deal on the third night too) and proximity to other areas. The only thing I would say (which is very picky) is that being sat in the outdoor courtyard outside our room, you could hear traffic noise from the road. My only complaint! Oh and the sofas in the great room could have been a little more comfy. Apparently Nina Campbell would disagree with me on that one!! Fabulous place and we would definitely return.

Room Tip: Choose a luxury room in Woodland Court with a little outdoor seating area. Separate from the main h...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank LuxseekerUk
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I've been to Ellenborough Park hotel on business a couple of times and it has always proven to be excellent in every way. It's a grand old building, but with all the modern amenities. I simply can't fault this hotel in any way - my stays here have always been simply perfect.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank WimbledonTraveller8
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We have just returned from two nights at ellenborough park. This is an exceptional hotel from the moment you arrive greeted by happy and observant staff. We were taken to our room and shown how to operate lights, equipment etc. luggage promptly bought up. We had room 26 which had lovely dressing area, roll top bath. We had petals on our bed and a hand written note from the manager. We had lunch in the brasserie, looked after by Ben on his second day and it was obvious that he was enjoying his job and had been well trained.. Something sadly missing in many hotels we frequent. We spent a couple of hours in the spa .. Had it to ourselves which was lovely. I had organised champagne before dinner and This was all executed really well. Delicious meal in Beaufort dining room. Food was delicious beautifully presented and the service was superb. We are real foodies and have been lucky enough to eat at many michelin star restaurants and this is very good food. Breakfast was excellent the scrambled eggs and smoked salmon was exceptional. We spent a few hours round the pool in the afternoon which was very pleasant plenty of towels provided and waiter service if required. There were some young children in the pool having far too much fun which was slightly irritating but the hotel welcomes children so you might just run into a few. Personally I wouldn't take young children to a hotel of this calibre .. They like to make a lot of noise which is far enough but not for other guests. We had an equally fabulous meal on Saturday night. Chris the duty manager really did go out of his way and worked hard and to a high standard.
The grounds and buildings are beautiful there was a wedding taking place on the Friday which didn't impact us at all. I think you get the gist we had a very special 2 days. I am considering booking the hotel for a small function and Chris showed us the facilities which are unusual but very special. We found out on checkout that we were upgraded to a luxury room which didn't surprise me as the room was very nice ... I would highly recommend this hotel the management clearly have a happy team and it shows. We will be back and thank you

2  Thank NickyPHughenden
Reviewed 19 August 2012

what a lovely one nighter! - this is truly 5 star luxury and has to be one of the best hotels and restaurants in the area

the quality of all the staff were first class and you could tell they had been trained well

the restaurant - food - somelia were all top quality - well done to them

Room Tip: we stayed in a suite and it was quality - loved the bathroom
1  Thank brocky10
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Ellenborough Park has got it spot on. Perfect weekend break for hubby and I (without children) and from the moment we drove up the driveway, we knew it would be special. Our easy checkin, the stunning room with little personal touches made us feel welcome straight away. And seriously, the rooms are out of this world. Uber-romantic and luxurious, we didn't want to leave...
We booked through Mr and Mrs Smith - had a wonderful complimentary cocktail in the bar followed by the most divine dinner in the main restaurant. The rhurbarb souffle will stay long in my memory!
Breakfast was yet another culinary experience - with amazing service. Spa also great and Cheltenham itself was a beautiful city.
I can't recommend this hotel highly enough - if you are in need of some serious pampering, just go and enjoy every minute.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheltenham
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#6 of 6 in Broadway
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to Ellenborough Park? Share your experiences!