“Fabulous!”

Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
England
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed 27 October 2012 via mobile

I spent last weekend at EP with my husband and two young children. We were there for my sister's wedding. There is one word to describe EP and that is FAULTLESS! The hotel and grounds are stunning, our room in the mews was absolutely beautiful. We had 2 staircases, one leading to the bathroom and the other to a study area, where we were able to put the travel cot!! Our dining experiences and the wedding itself were wonderful, and went without any hitches. My sister, mother and i used the spa facilities, had treatments and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The most noticeable and memorable aspect of the stay was the staff. Every member of staff, without exception, was friendly, courteous and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble. On our first morning there one of the young ladies greeted myself and my 17 month old son in the grounds. She asked my son's name and made some complimentary remarks. Twenty-four hours later we saw her again in reception, she greeted my son by name and chatted away to him! It is that sort of warmth and consideration that takes EP to the next level. My husband and I have promised ourselves a child-free visit in the near future, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend EP!

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank cavs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Toronto
Reviewed 23 October 2012

An amazing place. Beautiful restoration.We stayed in a room in one of the new wings. It was large with an excellent bathroom. My only complaint was that I felt the designer had forgotton to wallpaper the room and finish the headboard as a result It felt a bit cold (More on that later) in addition the amount of storage was a real issue. When you looked in the huge walk there was a space for shelves but no shelves? They brought in a chest of drawers. All small points
We ate in the main restaurant for my 50th birthday. The food and service was faultless (we were one of only 2 tables dining) We also ate in the more casual braserie which was excellant.
The gym while small was well appointed. Here I go with my only real concern. As the hotel is quite large (60 rooms) it lacks a certain feel to it. I realize that it is a new renovation of an outstanding property but it felt just a tiny bit like a convention hotel given its size. To say that it felt a bit like a theme park would be going to far but if it was fully occupied? The area is of outstanding beauty and we visited a number of villages in the area. All in all an excellent stay. I was going to book Buckland Manor but chose Ellenborough Park on the basis of the many excellent reviews in trip advisor. I believe you will not be disappointed.

1 Thank CanadianMoose
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Everything about our stay at Ellenborough Park was impeccable...From the way we greeted when we arrived; to the gorgeous beautifully decorated rooms and the little box of mints and thank you note left in our car by the valet ahead of our drive home. It was clear that every detail had been carefully thought through. No effort seemed too much for the friendly and efficient staff. The hotel has beautiful grounds and there are some lovely walks in the vicinty - the staff were available to point us in the right direction and to offer us the use of walking boots and brollies if we needed them. High tea was elegantly served in the magnificent drawing room and the breakfast offering, the next morning, was abundant and quite delicious. What really impressed me though was the efforts made by a particular member of staff (Ms Sara Axall) to return a wallet to me which I had inadvertently left in the hotel safe. This was at great personal inconvenience, given the international restrictions on items which may be sent by mail, and in my view went way beyond the call of duty. It was certainly more than I would have expected. however given the outstanding service throughout the hotel, I suppose I should not have veen surprised. Our stay at Ellenborough Park was certainly the highlight of our stay in the Costwolds and we look forward to many a return visit.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I stayed here with my partner for one night and we loved it! we thoroughly enjoyed the spa where we had a full body massage and full use of the spa facilities. The spa was very nice, just a bit small; no swimming pool. We checked into the hotel where our bags were taking straight up to our room and our car parked. We received an upgrade after our room was supposed to be ready at 12 and still wasnt ready at 1pm. Our room overlooked the race course and the malvern hills, which was beautiful in the sun set.

After returning from a lovely meal in the restaurant, our bed had been re-made and a chocolate and water placed at the side of our bed. The toilet roll had also been folded and a candle light put on in the bathroom.

In the morning we had breakfast in bed where there was 2 items missing from our breakfast. This was a bit disapointing however we didnt complain because of the time it would have taken to make and then bring the missing items.

A very expensive hotel, i'm not quite sure its worth all that money but we really enjoyed it.

The rooms were very clean with lovely feather pillows! we had a four poster bed which was lovely and modern, not dated like they are sometimes. I do think the spa needed cleaning more often. The staff could have been more informative aswell; only found out about the relaxation room after spending 2 hours in the spa waiting of our massage appointment.

Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I've been lucky enough to stay in quite a few excellent British hotels but this hotel beats them all. So many top country hotels ars stuffy; formal and quite intimidating. Not Ellenborough Park. It is first class yet relaxing and informal. The staff were amazing - extremely efficient but also very friendly - the food was excellent - the rooms extremely comfortable - brilliant situation. I tried to find a fault and the only one that I could come up with was that the sugar on our tea tray in the room had not been changed regularly as it had gone hard!!!! - that's serious nit-picking!!!! Would definitely recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Sunningdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2012

This is a beautiful biscuit coloured Costswold stone manor house hotel. I really enjoyed the service which was very attentive and the free and fast wifi. Dinner in the brasserie was good, if not quite excellent but I'm being really picky. The location is wonderful with vistas overlooking the racecourse. A cut above most country house hotels. Lots of reviews are from wedding goers. I can imagine it is a Devine place for a wedding.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank SMc7
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We stayed at this beautifully luxurious hotel for my birthday.. The room was both large and intimate in equal portions. The staff made us feel very welcome and looked after without ever being overbearing. We dined in the Beaufort room in the evening where we were treated to exceptional food and service followed by a night spent in quite possibly the most comfortable bed ever. Breakfast was first classl. All in all to rate our stay anything less than 10 out of 10 would be totally wrong. On a totally individual level at our evening meal I was presented with most amazingly perfect chocolate birthday cake I could wish for. Brilliant!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheltenham
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
The Lygon Arms
The Lygon Arms
#6 of 6 in Broadway
Strozzi Palace Suites by Mansley

Been to Ellenborough Park? Share your experiences!