“First class”
Review of Ellenborough Park

Ellenborough Park
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We stayed at Ellenborough Park for one night, attending a function at Cheltenham Racecourse. The service was impeccable, the building and grounds wonderful and our room was top notch. I could find no fault in this hotel and will certainly be staying again.

Room Tip: I think you would be happy in any of the rooms
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 December 2012

I went purely for afternoon tea.

Hotel - overall, the Hotel is quite lovely, very luxurious and beautifully appointed.
Staff - super staff, very helpful, friendly and help make the visit special.
Afternoon tea - distinctly average. Sandwiches and scones - nothing special and the cakes were very disappointing. Had to ask for a cake fork and fresh plates for the scones/cake.

Overall - the staff make the visit special and the Hotel is truly lovely.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Blue_skynorthshields
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We are just returning from a weekend at Ellenborough Park. This is the second year we have visited and hopefully we'll return again next year.

The hotel is lovely and is perfectly located for exploring the Cotswolds. They even have coats and boots to borrow should you not have come prepared.

We ate and both restaurants during our stay and although they're not cheap, they rival some of the best restaurants you can find anywhere.

Finally, the service is excellent. As an example, before bringing our car to us this morning, they had de-iced all the window. It is touches like this that sets Ellenborough Park apart.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 30 November 2012

My partner and I decided we would visit the Ellenborough Park as a treat before Christmas and had a wonderful time. The service was second to none from the moment that we arrived. Breakfast was delicious - I would certainly recommend the Cotswold "fry up" and they also served my favourite Assam tea so I just had to have this!

On the Saturday afternoon we booked an afternoon tea (again as a treat) and we weren't disappointed. We took this on the balcony in the Great Hall and were able to appreciate the lovely decor and lighting. Later on, as we didn't have dinner, the bar man kindly organised for us to have a portion of chips whilst sipping cocktails in the bar. Not very glamorous however needs must.

Anyway, we were sorry to check out on the Sunday and head home but we will definitely visit again.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah5318
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I recently stayed at the Ellenborough Park hotel in Cheltenham as part of a conference. I have to say that I was completely astounded by the service and experience. Normally hotels make a lot of promises and ultimately fail on a couple but I could not fault anything. Nothing at all! The staff are proffessional and attentive but not intrusive or overly engaging. They smile and greet you when you walk down the passage - and I mean everyone right down to the maintenance man!

The room are exceptionally beautiful and the beds are the most comfortabel I have ever slept in. So much so that I have already ordered one from the same supplier.

We ate in both the Brasserie and the formal dining room and the food was some of the best I have ever tasted.

What I liked most about the whole experience was the incredible attention to detail. Underfloor heating. Music in the bathroom. Carefully laid out slippers next to the bed. No detail however small was ever overlooked.

In summary, seamless, pro-active customer service that makes you feel like royalty in exceptional accommodation and surroundings.

Room Tip: The Istbraq suite (room 4) is outstanding! Try to book in the main house as these rooms have more ch...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2012

This is my second visit, firstly I tried the fine dining which was fantastic so this time my friends and myself tried 'The Brasserie'-again fabulous surroundings which are not only comfortable but very elegant. The food was again of the finest quality and the service was first class-will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2012

We spent four excellent nights at this magnificant hotel. Rooms 5-12 plus 2 suites are in the old building; we had Room 5 so cannot comment on the remaining 55 rooms which are in much newer buildings. The entire place was refurbished and rebuilt and reopened in 2011. We had room 5, on the first floor just above a corner of one of the common rooms, very convenient but totally quiet. The room is a "luxury double" which well describes it. It is huge, with a comfortable king bed, desk and chair, easy chair with footstool, lots of windows, and a (non-operating) fireplace marked 1598. There is a huge bathroom with a terrific walk-in shower and big tub, with large windows overlooking the green grounds and edge of the Cotswolds hills. A lovely room.
We ate two nights in the Brasserie, a relatively informal room next to the bar. This is a very nice spot and the food is truly excellent. We did not try the formal dining room. Breakfasts were excellent. Service throughout the hotel was from a top notch young staff eager to please. Only slight drawback was a spotty evening turndown service. Laundry service is excellent and even on Sunday.
It's a gorgeous place.

Room Tip: For a change of dining pace, try the excellent Indian food at the Saffron Lounge in nearby Woodmanco...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Traveler039
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheltenham
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#2 of 6 in Broadway
Charingworth Manor
Charingworth Manor
#1 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to Ellenborough Park? Share your experiences!