“Eating at Ellenborough Park - simple, elegant and easy” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ellenborough Park

Ellenborough Park
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Uk
“Eating at Ellenborough Park - simple, elegant and easy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

"Simple, elegant and easy" might seem like an odd combination to describe eating experiences but that is what I think of when I think of Ellenborough Park. To explain; the food is understatedly simply and delicious - not fussy or pretentious - just delicious. The presentation throughout the building is elegant and sophisticated - which is not always easy in a building which has so much heritage and retains so much historical integrity.
And "easy" the staff make eating here so easy - they are professional, friendly and knowledgeble, nothing is too much trouble and they genuinely seem to want to help. I have wonderful memories of being pregnant and turning up at Ellenborough Park to eat - without booking. Of course they were welcoming as always, but then when I didn't fancy anything on the menu and all I wanted was a typical cream tea (I was pregnant) they just smiled and said "that's no problem of course we can sort that out for you" - now that's service. The cream tea was delicious too - of course!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

I came here recently for drinks but would love to come back when there is a race meeting at the nearby Cheltenham racecourse (I hear there is a private entrance). The hotel has a wonderful setting and manages to feel like the middle of the countryside whilst being close to the racecourse, Cheltenham town centre and the local villages (such as Winchcombe). The hotel has been transformed from its previous incarnation as the De La Bere and standards have risen dramatically. A lovely place for a weekend stay.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank andrew_2587
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

Following a 'wow' rating from my daughter who stayed there last year, the three of us decided to try Xmas lunch there this year. Massive stately pile, dating back to the 1500's in Southam village, just outside Cheltenham, with extensive views over Cheltenham Racecourse and the Severn Valley. Ample parking in the extensive grounds, and a smiling welcome at the door. Beautiful interiors extensively renovated and decorated.
Champagne in the brasserie and warm canapes, then escorted in the De La Bere dining room, a white pillared room, with a large glassed atrium flooding it with light. All the tables full, and friendly, unassuming and efficient service. Food was well portioned, presented and cooked. Menu include a parsnip soup starter, choice of salmon blinis or duck rillettes followed by turkey or bream, then Xmas pud or creme caramel, then coffee and mince pies. It was excellent. Highly recommended

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Henley on Thames
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

We've just returned from a couple of nights at Ellenborough Park and can echo what others have said; the service was great. We didn't end up eating in the restaurant but had breakfast there which was excellent.

As we were checking out we asked if it was ok for us to use the spa and instead of the usual "I'll just go and ask the manager", the response was an instant "yes, certainly!". Staff have clearly been trained to always say Yes if it is possible, which is not always the case.

The hotel was incredible value for money. It's of a similar standard to various 5 Star hotels we've been to around the world but at a fraction of the price. We got a great deal through Mr & Mrs Smith which meant that 2 nights B&B in a very good room in the old house cost us just £230. The Four Seasons has cost us about £800 for similar, and le Manoir double that. This is the best value for money hotel we've stayed in for a very long time.

Room Tip: Room 3 is a good sized room, but with a smallish bathroom. It has a lovely view across the fields t...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank honeyHenleyonThames
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

This hotel is first class. The best hotel I have ever stayed in. Truly 5 star.
The individual bed rooms are superbly decorated, and good quality. The outdoor heated pool is superb, and the supplied robes and towels make this even more enjoyable. I went in the 27 degree heated pool, when the outside temperature was 0 degrees, and it was fantastic! The spa is a little too far away from the pool area, so you cannot really walk from the Jacuzzi / sauna to the pool and back. The gym is small, but well appointed, I especially liked the towels cooling in the fridge – great after a workout! I often sweat a great deal following a hard workout, and really liked the cooling action on my skin.
Up on returning to the room after an evening meal, I was delighted to see my bed had been turned down, water placed by my bed, a chocolate mint left for me, and some slippers placed on the floor.
Hotel service is first class. From the porters to the bar staff.
Breakfast is beautiful, with a wide choice. Will be visiting again.
This hotel is not cheap. Everything is expensive - £5 for a can of coke from the Mini Bar.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Rhys M
Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

My wife and I spent a wonderful two nights here.
Everything was perfect from the rooms to the spa and restaurant.
The service was faultless from some of the friendliest staff you could wish to meet.
We shall definitely return.

Room Tip: We had a suite in the annex. It overlooked the racecourse. It was huge and luxuriously appointed...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shaun55
bucharest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

I took my son and his girlfriend today for an afternoon tea .I had booked in advance .Guided by the reviews and living nearby we thought it will be a great choice.Well,I have to admit I am a bit disappointed.We had been asked if we want tea or coffee and we said tea thinking that they will give us the opportunity to choose from a large variety of teas and flavors .They only brought the teapot with loose tea ready made ....so my advice will be do not expect much ...sorry ellenborough park is civilized not extraordinary

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank julianneBucharest
Ellenborough, General Manager at Ellenborough Park, responded to this review, 21 December 2012
We are sincerely disappointed that your experience did not live up to expectations. We have a range of teas available for you to select so we are sorry if we fell short on this occasion.
Should you wish to contact us directly we would be pleased to discuss in greater detail.
In the meantime we wish you and your family a very merry Christmas.
John Hanna
Ellenborough Park
Southam Road
Cheltenham
Gl52 6PU
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheltenham
Buckland Manor Country House Hotel
The Cheltenham Park Hotel
The Cheltenham Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,576 reviews

Been to Ellenborough Park? Share your experiences!