“Afternoon tea and champagne”
Review of Ellenborough Park

Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We gave visited this twice now with friends and been amazed birth times on the service and quality of beautiful building .
Afternoon tea here us a must for a special occasion or just an excuse to catch up with friends in style. The staff are very friendly and know his to serve and look after you throughout making the experience very special.
Afternoon tea comprises of selection of mouth watering sandwiches , cakes and scones , and a huge selection of teas, you can also finish it of by having a glass of champagne .. Why not I say.
Give thus beautiful place a go you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank STOURBOY
EllenboroughPk, General Manager at Ellenborough Park, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you very much for your kind comments about your Afternoon Tea experience. It is lovely to hear you were amazed by the service and quality of the property. We are very proud of our Afternoon Tea and agree with your point that it is often best with a glass of Champagne.
We look forward to seeing you again here soon and hope you are able to enjoy either restaurant in the future.

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

My first impression of the hotel was wonderful, we received a lovely welcome from the concierge, a middle aged man in a green padded waistcoat who was confident, calm & very genuine, I'm so sorry I didn't take his name.

The welcome and check in at reception was not as good, rather abrupt, lack of explanation about hotel facilities & options for suggestions or ideas on what we could do whilst we waited for our rooms to be ready.

We ordered teas and coffees and found the waiting staff, food and service to be excellent, this was repeated during afternoon tea & breakfast the following morning. A very genuine, thoughtful, efficient service.

We walked over to the spa to explore the facilities as I mistakingly thought that this was where the pool was located (again lack of a thorough check in and guided tour). We encountered (I booked 3 rooms, a total of five guests in our group) a most inexperienced, rude, abrupt female spa attendant who advised us that we could not look around the facilities & that 'drop ins' were not allowed. This shows very poor training & an inability to manage customer needs. To be referred to as drop in's was insulting and a complete inadequate understating of what we were trying to do. All we wanted was to understand, to see, where the leisure facilities were located and to then make a decision if we wanted to use them. I expressed my disappointment with her attitude and management of the situation and left.

Rooms were superb, beautiful. I have rated this review as excellent as I can put on one side the poor reception service, further amplified, on check out, no one asked me or handed me a questionnaire regarding our stay, no feedback sought, no thank you for staying, very poor.

I suggest that the management team go and visit one of the Firmdale Hotels in London to truly see and experience how customers should be welcomed, checked in and the whole guest experience.

Beautiful hotel let down by key staff.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Sharon E

Thank you for your kind comments on your welcome to the hotel and the rooms we have. We are very sorry you felt there were a few issues whilst you stayed with us, please do contact us privately and I will be happy to discuss these further with you.
We hope to welcome you back in the future and will ensure your next stay will be up to our usual standards.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I recently booked a 1 night stay with spa treatment. Fabulous hotel. Started with a superb lunch. Rooms in the oldest part of the hotel was great with little touches that made it a 5 star experience. For example a proper cafeterie, real milk in the fridge (not the awful UHT). The next day we stayed on into the afternoon and the hotel allowed us to store, ice and then drink some champagne we had brought and couldn't take back. Excellent service - in particular Daisy at reception who did everything to get a taxi a short notice, organise the wine bucket and afternoon tea outside. The spa treatments were good - a bit pricey perhaps ? One area of improvement was the breakfast which was disorganised, slow and in the end not of great quality for such a 5 star place

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and lovely to hear you found the hotel classy luxury with great service. We think our special touches make the difference, especially the small ones like real milk for a good cup of English breakfast tea. We are delighted you were able to enjoy Afternoon Tea outside and you thought Daisy on reception gave excellent service. This is lovely to hear and we will make sure we pass on your kind comments to her. I apologise you found breakfast service disorganised and shall investigate as to why this was the case on this morning. We always want to make sure our guests have a perfect experience from start to finish and will ensure this is the case when you return in the future.

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Rooms in the main part of the house are fantastic, beds comfy, everything spotless, just as you would expect it to be! Having stayed here a few times on a dbb package we have always enjoyed ourselves and look forward to returning. Food is delicious :)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Great hearing you love staying here and found the main house enjoyable. We always enjoy hearing of return guests enjoying every stay they have with us and especially when they are able to enjoy the restaurants as well.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here for one night as part of the trip to the races and our whole experience was absolutely perfect. The room was impeccable, the staff can't do enough for you, the spa was lovely, food delicious and our bed was like a cloud!
The private shuttle to the racecourse topped it all off!

Thank you to the team at Ellenborough Park for making out stay so wonderful. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you for your kind comments on your stay here during the races. It is lovely to hear that the room was impeccable and overall your experience was perfection.
We hope you had a successful time at the races and perhaps see you again when the jump racing returns home at Cheltenham in October.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Spent a night at Ellenborough Park just before a business meeting there the next day - it was absolutely brilliant. Top notch service, friendly and totally lovely. Welcomed in the car park, where the car was taken away and parked, lovely welcome from reception, great show to room and a General Manager who was hands on in getting our event ready - what more could you ask for? The food was delicious and the service perfect. Finally, a handwritten note from the General Manager in my car when it was brought back to the front of the hotel on departure. I would definitely return and recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank McAllisterandCo

Lovely to hear you enjoyed your stay the day before a business meeting at the hotel. We always strive to ensure all guests have a brilliant experience of the hotel whether they are here for leisure or business or both.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon and thank you recommending the hotel.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I agree wholly with the 4 Star review below. The hotel is lovely, we loved our bedroom and the bathroom especially with the under floor heating and roll top bath, the bed was very comfy and facilities good. Food was amazing at lunch time we had a 3 course roast dinner and my husband and I said the beef was the best we have had. The chocolate pudding wasn't that great but the main course made up for it. Dinner in the brasserie was quite nice although I could not eat my chicken ceaser salad as it was absolutely drenched in dressing. I told the waitress but as we were so full from lunch still I didn't need a replacement.
Unfortunately the spa is a massive let down , we couldn't go swimming as it was too cold for the outside pool and the indoor spa is a tiny jacuzzi with two loungers, sauna and steam room. The changing rooms are also tiny but quite nice. My treatment was ok - a full body massage but I have been to a lot of spas and would say it was average at best. I'm sure it did not last 55 minutes and also a bit slap dash. My husbands treatment was good he had a deep tissue massage. The treatments are expensive which I don't mind if I think they are worth it but unfortunately felt dissapointed after my treatment.
We had a lovely breakfast the next morning with plenty to choose from, the eggs royale were amazing and there was nice fresh fruit, pastries, cereal and toast.
Overall I would say the room and the food are the best things about the hotel but would not recommend it for the spa.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review on your recent stay here. It is lovely to hear you found your room and bathroom lovely. It is also lovely to hear the Sunday lunch beef was the best you have ever had.
We are disappointed about your comments on The Spa experience but glad your husband’s treatment was good. We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your experience.
Breakfast is always an important meal of the day and we think it is vital our guests leave having enjoyed this time of the day. We always ensure there is a wide range of breakfast items to choose from and are delighted you found the meal lovely.
We hope to welcome you back again in the future and will strive to ensure your experience is the best it can possibly be.
Ellenborough Park

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheltenham
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#2 of 6 in Broadway
Charingworth Manor
Charingworth Manor
#1 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to Ellenborough Park? Share your experiences!