“Excellent Afternoon Tea in the Great Hall”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ellenborough Park

Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Evesham, United Kingdom
“Excellent Afternoon Tea in the Great Hall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We took a couple of old friends visiting the UK from Switzerland and spending a few days with us in the Cotswold, before travelling to London for the rest of their holiday, to Ellenborough Park for a full "Afternoon Tea". As I used to work there before retiring last year, I gave them the full tour of the hotel and they were extremely impressed about everything the hotel has got to offer their Guests visiting the Cotswold.

Once we had made ourselves comfortable in the Great Hall and our daughter also joined us, we had a nice bottle of Bellicart-Salmon Rose' Champagne, before enjoying a fantastic full Afternoon Tea. All the staff on duty were excellent, especially Stefan he was absolutely charming!

This is one of the very best place to go for "Afternoon Tea", in the whole of the Cotswold.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank italian186422
EllenboroughPk, General Manager at Ellenborough Park, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you so much for your very kind review following your afternoon tea here at Ellenborough Park. I am delighted that you, your friends and daughter all enjoyed yourselves so much and we were able to provide you with an excellent experience following your retirement last year.
I hope your friends continued to enjoy their British holiday and we look forward to seeing you all again next time you are in the area.
Ellenborough Park

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife, our 8 month old and I stayed one night here to relax and found the hotel and the staff first class. We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to friends and will certainly be back. The staff throughout are extremely helpful and the main old part of the hotel is stunning looking like something out of Downtown Abbey. We enjoyed a drink in the great hall (which we pretty much had to ourself) and ate dinner in the restaurant in the evening. The food and wine was extremely good and while not cheap we would say it was priced appropriately for the quality.

Im having to think very hard for a downside and the only thing to be aware of is that while our room was a good size and very clean and well kept most rooms (I think) are in a modern block at the back of the hotel and it does feel slightly disappointing not to stay in a more historic room in such a grand setting.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mr-and-Mrs-SW8
Thank you very much for your review following your stay. We are very pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your time here. Our bedrooms are located across 4 different locations and each area has a different feel and there is a mix of old and new so next time please ask to stay in a room in one of the different locations and we will do our best to accommodate you. We look forward to seeing you here again.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

A lovely hotel that would definitely be 5 star if it weren't for a few small niggles. Bearing in mind the cost per night, this should categorically not be the case.

Small niggles - we ran out of tissues, if you want more soap you have to make sure you throw the old small bar away otherwise another one won't be left, not enough loo rolls - all of which will, I know, be brought to the room in an instant, but not really the point when such things should be anticipated.

Our room wasn't vaccuumed during out stay, though the room itself is clean.

Under floor heating in the bathroom makes the room incredibly hot and the aircon isn't quite up to scratch. We couldn't find an off switch for heating so had to ask reception to get it turned off, which they did straight away.

Big niggle - the bar is very small, and the tables take up so much room there's not much space for guests. It's also incredibly warm in there! At one point we had to wait almost ten minutes when the barman disappeared, ostensiby to deal with something in reception, but, again, not quite good enough for an allegedly 5 star hotel. This was swiftly dealt with by the Maitre D, Antonio, who is charming and so professional I was surprised to learn he hadn't been trained in a top London hotel. He really is a credit to the hotel. As are Sam and James.

On the other hand, you can opt to have your drinks in the main hall, which is stunning. Again, a bit too warm. Which reminds me - try the Lady Ellenborough cocktail. You'll never want to drink anything again. Other cocktails are just as delicious, and immaculately presented by a young barman who really knows his stuff.

The continntal breakfast is excellent but the hot food and drinks are tepid. Very nice food somewhat ruined because it's not served hot. I think the tea and coffee is poured into the silver pots in advance and no one remembers to check they're still hot. Again, a minor thing but not something I would expect in a 5 star hotel.

Immaculate grounds, a magnificent refurb. Staff are, on the whole, attentive and helpful. The receptionists are very sweet, though it takes a while for the phone to be answered (sometimes so long that, if I hadn't already arranged to stay there, I would probably have given up waiting for someone to answer).

Food in the Brasserie is very good value and utterly delicious. A visit to the Beaufort is a must, and a lovely excuse to dress up. The wine list is impressive (go Billecarte Salmon!). Go for the 7 course taster menu - divine.

As an aside, I wouldn't bother shopping in Cheltenham. Bicester (about an hour's drive away) is, however, well worth a visit.

A nice touch was the tiny bottle of fresh milk in the fridge, as well as two small complimentary bottles of water. I know a lot of people say stay in the main building, but we stayed in a ground floor room near the heated pool, where you get your own patio and table and chairs. Very quiet - it really was like being abroad.

We stayed midweek to Saturday, when it was very quiet. There was a wedding reception going on which we didn't hear at all, which is no mean feat in an hotel. It's an excellent venue for business meetings or company weekends away, having both the facilities and a little bit of finesse that makes it appealing to professionals.

On the whole, a lovely place to stay. An hotel is only as good as its staff and what surprised me was how young so many of them were, but they have been very well trained and are unfailingly pleasant, courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: Stay in a ground floor room by the pool.
1 Thank Chunkylongtail
EllenboroughPk, General Manager at Ellenborough Park, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for your recent review, we appreciate hearing our guests comments and are sorry if we slipped up in a couple of areas, I have aked the relevant departments to review procedures.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the various team members you encountered during your stay and we are pleased that you found all them to be pleasant courteous and helpful.
Worcestershire UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Ellenborough for my birthday, our room was superb, very spacious only issue being when you showered half the water ended up on the bathroom floor.
We decided on some lunch in the brasserie at the last minute and when we went through were told there was nothing and we'd have to wait 20 mins, that was fine but there were empty tables which were not taken up all the time we were there, so I not sure what the delay was other than not enough staff perhaps?
After lunch we went to the spa which was lovely and empty so we had it all to ourselves. There are only 4 beds so I'm not sure what would happen on a busier day. If there was one thing I would change that's there is only an outdoor pool which because it was a dreary day we couldn't use and as a 5 star hotel with spa I would expect an indoor pool with loungers.
Breakfast the following morning was just lovely with a large choice. We sat in the great hall, a superb room.
All in all this is a wonderful hotel and I would definitely return. I would rate it 4 1/2 stars just missing out on the 5 due to the reasons above.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with all the different elements including The Spa, breakfast and relaxing in the Great Hall.
We look forward to seeing you here again.
Yeovil, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Me and my husband stayed here for one night whilst attending a wedding at the venue. On arrival we were greeted by a lovely lady at reception who was very friendly. We were shown to our room which was in a building adjacent to the main building and a valet very kindly moved our car to a closer car park for us which was a nice touch. The room itself, aside from quite a few dead flies in the window sill was well furnished and clean. A fresh pint of real milk in the fridge was a nice touch as opposed to the little pots most hotels dish out. During the day itself we had a lovely time and the food eaten throughout the course was fabulous, especially breakfast in the morning which was exemplary in its offerings and quality.

My only two real niggles would be:

1) When i rang to book my room i was told that check in was from 3pm. Seeing as the wedding at the venue was at 1pm and we were having to drive up from Somerset on the day this was most unhelpful.... even more so as im heavily pregnant. I was told over the phone that they would do their best to have the room ready early due to my circumstances, but even so no guarantees were made and i had to travel over two hours fully dressed for the wedding just incase. They did indeed have the room ready, but i couldve done without the worry and stress. I understand they need time to clean the rooms, but flexibility is key, especially when they are hosting an event that starts before their own check in time!

2) At breakfast we were asked if we minded being seated at a table for 4 with other guests joining us... I felt obliged like many people suddenly put on the spot to say this was fine, and in fairness i saw no other free spaces. We were lucky and some fellow guests we knew ended up sitting with us but had we had to sit with strangers this wouldve made for a possible awkward breakfast. I just dont think a hotel of this calibre should put their guests in that kind of position.

All in all we had a lovely time, it was just a couple of things that really couldve made the difference.

4 Thank Claire G
Thank you for your review of your stay while attending a wedding here. I am pleased you found the service very good. When the hotel rooms are fully booked we are unable to promise an early check-in, we always do our very best to try and accommodate these requests and I am delighted that we were able to help you on this occasion. I am very pleased that overall you had a lovely time.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

This was a great though mixed experience from the moment the liveried flunkies approached s we were parking and actually knew who we were. This was not some magic trick but they had a list of arrivals. The place is quite beautiful and the grounds are impeccable. We were put in a new wing which I thought at first was a bit off but in fact it was every bit as good. The hall itself is spectacular in a not very comfortable way. Giant rooms which are great to look at but not all that workable any more, ie since the 16th century. There are two restaurants. The posh one really put me off and the bistro was OK+ We had to wait till 9 for a table which was not all that great for a resident with nowhere else to go. Breakfast was in a fine setting and good. My problem with this place is that it is pearl and twinset anachronism. Fun for a day or two and a good advert for the Cotswolds but I would tire very quickly. For all that I cannot say it was not very very good

1 Thank davidnkaye
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed the beauty of the buildings and grounds and that you enjoyed your room. I am also pleased that you consider it to be a good advert for the Cotswolds.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Recently attended a wedding reception here. Accommodation was superb. Food...... well it took an age between courses, so much so that all the wine was consumed before the first course and the poor bride and groom were forced to order more (was this a ploy?). When it eventually arrived the portions were very small (good thing a hog roast was ordered for the evening!!).
Service was excellent. Some staff were a little "off", but on the whole they were very pleasant.

Room Tip: The disabled rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your comments following your stay here. We are very pleased that you considered the service to be excellent and the staff were very pleasant.
Ellenborough Park
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheltenham
Buckland Manor Country House Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,100 reviews
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings

Been to Ellenborough Park? Share your experiences!