“Good but let down on some little issues”
Review of Ellenborough Park

Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The hotel is lovely, wonderful peaceful setting and nicely laid out. The main restaurant and the grand hall are beautiful. A nice reception on arrival is being met by your car and helped by attentive staff, who offer to park your car for you. The room was well laid out, nicely furnished with a lovely bright bathroom with good toiletries and a great shower. I ate twice in the Brasserie and once in the Beaufort. The Brasserie which lacked atmosphere a wee bit, was fine. Casual dining, the food was of a good standard and reasonably priced, a varied menu all quite tasty, doing what it said on the tin, friendly staff and an exceptional Spanish maitre de. The main restaurant was wonderful. We choose the tasting menu which was an absolute delight. Splendid food and attentive service, really very good indeed, exciting, delicious food. The small outdoor pool is very nice, sadly not touched due to the poor weather. The staff were courteous and friendly and we had a very enjoyable break overall.

However, I feel the hotel drop the ball on a few small issues, which lets them down. Forgivable as one offs, or at a cheaper hotel, but together quite frankly not representative of a 5* hotel.

The issues I refer to are:

Waiting for some considerable time on more than one occasion at the small bar area to be served. Waiting for some 5 or more minutes at an empty bar late afternoon.

Bedrooms not cleaned very well.

Cold cooked breakfast served and duly returned, the same the following day with a cold coffee pot. I saw a fellow guest have the same issue

Sometimes at the reception there is no one to speak to, You do occasionally find yourself lurking about trying to find someone.

Soap slither left and soap/shampoo not changed every day.

A/C in room not really fit for purpose, mentioned at reception but it seemed the same the following nights.

Whilst we had a very nice break and the hotel has charm and character, I do feel these minor issues just should not happen at a 5* hotel. You should get what you pay for, and this hotel is not a cheap option.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GREENBUSH
EllenboroughPk, General Manager at Ellenborough Park, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay.
I am very pleased that most of it was excellent and that you especially enjoyed the 'Taster menu' in the Beaufort and also that Antonio was exceptional he will be delighted to see this. I have investigated all the areas which, you have highlighted and following training in each of these areas we will do our utmost to ensure that your next stay does not have these niggles.
We look forward to seeing you here again and next time it being perfect.
Ellenborough Park

Write a ReviewReviews (1,417)

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The title really does say it all, from the moment we arrived to the moment we left, everything about this hotel was truly exceptional. We were greeted by a very friendly gentleman at the entrance who offered to take our bags to our room whilst we checked in. The room we stayed in was only a classic room but was still fantastic, spacious and very comfortable! We were staying in one of the new out building rooms, a short walk from the main house.

Quick tip, I cannot recommend the breakfast in bed enough, even with the food taking a short walk from the main house the poached eggs I had with bacon were absolutely perfectly cooked.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review following your recent stay. We are delighted that you considered your stay to be 'exceptional' We are also delighted to sea that your breakfast in bed was perfect.
We look forward to seeing you here again soon.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

What an entrance when you drive through to the main house! The property and surround views are beautiful. It looks exactly like the pictures on the website. Our car was valet parked and suitcases taken to our room as soon as the handbrakes went on and we stepped out of the car.

Our room was large, airy and beautifully decorated. Large four poster bed, a nice sitting area and a lovely big bathroom with a beautiful Victorian bath.
We had cocktails and dinner in the main restaurant - and the food was amazing! Deliciousness throughout all courses. Breakfast there is also very good. A la carte and buffet (cereals, yoghurts, fruit etc.) was included together. The poached egg with salmon was perfect.

We had afternoon tea on our checkout day in the Snugg to celebrate our engagement the previous night and it was delicious. The pistachio cones were amazing!
Service throughout our stay was impeccable by all members of staff, we could not fault any part of our stay.

Make sure you take a ramble up to Cleve Hill during your stay if the weather is nice. Luckily the sun was shining over our long weekend. The hotel has a boot room where you can hire Hunters and Barbour jackets for your ramble.

Ps. I knew Ellenborough Park was going to be a great stay as they served my favourite champagne as their house - Billecart Salmon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Everlong08

Firstly, I would like to offer you on behalf of my team congratulations on your engagement. I am delighted that everything was as you would have hoped and that you had such an enjoyable stay here. ' Deliciousness throughout all courses' is a great expression and I am very glad we achieved this for you.
We look forward to seeing you here again for your next celebration.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We took a couple of old friends visiting the UK from Switzerland and spending a few days with us in the Cotswold, before travelling to London for the rest of their holiday, to Ellenborough Park for a full "Afternoon Tea". As I used to work there before retiring last year, I gave them the full tour of the hotel and they were extremely impressed about everything the hotel has got to offer their Guests visiting the Cotswold.

Once we had made ourselves comfortable in the Great Hall and our daughter also joined us, we had a nice bottle of Bellicart-Salmon Rose' Champagne, before enjoying a fantastic full Afternoon Tea. All the staff on duty were excellent, especially Stefan he was absolutely charming!

This is one of the very best place to go for "Afternoon Tea", in the whole of the Cotswold.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank italian186422

Thank you so much for your very kind review following your afternoon tea here at Ellenborough Park. I am delighted that you, your friends and daughter all enjoyed yourselves so much and we were able to provide you with an excellent experience following your retirement last year.
I hope your friends continued to enjoy their British holiday and we look forward to seeing you all again next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife, our 8 month old and I stayed one night here to relax and found the hotel and the staff first class. We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to friends and will certainly be back. The staff throughout are extremely helpful and the main old part of the hotel is stunning looking like something out of Downtown Abbey. We enjoyed a drink in the great hall (which we pretty much had to ourself) and ate dinner in the restaurant in the evening. The food and wine was extremely good and while not cheap we would say it was priced appropriately for the quality.

Im having to think very hard for a downside and the only thing to be aware of is that while our room was a good size and very clean and well kept most rooms (I think) are in a modern block at the back of the hotel and it does feel slightly disappointing not to stay in a more historic room in such a grand setting.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mr-and-Mrs-SW8

Thank you very much for your review following your stay. We are very pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your time here. Our bedrooms are located across 4 different locations and each area has a different feel and there is a mix of old and new so next time please ask to stay in a room in one of the different locations and we will do our best to accommodate you. We look forward to seeing you here again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

A lovely hotel that would definitely be 5 star if it weren't for a few small niggles. Bearing in mind the cost per night, this should categorically not be the case.

Small niggles - we ran out of tissues, if you want more soap you have to make sure you throw the old small bar away otherwise another one won't be left, not enough loo rolls - all of which will, I know, be brought to the room in an instant, but not really the point when such things should be anticipated.

Our room wasn't vaccuumed during out stay, though the room itself is clean.

Under floor heating in the bathroom makes the room incredibly hot and the aircon isn't quite up to scratch. We couldn't find an off switch for heating so had to ask reception to get it turned off, which they did straight away.

Big niggle - the bar is very small, and the tables take up so much room there's not much space for guests. It's also incredibly warm in there! At one point we had to wait almost ten minutes when the barman disappeared, ostensiby to deal with something in reception, but, again, not quite good enough for an allegedly 5 star hotel. This was swiftly dealt with by the Maitre D, Antonio, who is charming and so professional I was surprised to learn he hadn't been trained in a top London hotel. He really is a credit to the hotel. As are Sam and James.

On the other hand, you can opt to have your drinks in the main hall, which is stunning. Again, a bit too warm. Which reminds me - try the Lady Ellenborough cocktail. You'll never want to drink anything again. Other cocktails are just as delicious, and immaculately presented by a young barman who really knows his stuff.

The continntal breakfast is excellent but the hot food and drinks are tepid. Very nice food somewhat ruined because it's not served hot. I think the tea and coffee is poured into the silver pots in advance and no one remembers to check they're still hot. Again, a minor thing but not something I would expect in a 5 star hotel.

Immaculate grounds, a magnificent refurb. Staff are, on the whole, attentive and helpful. The receptionists are very sweet, though it takes a while for the phone to be answered (sometimes so long that, if I hadn't already arranged to stay there, I would probably have given up waiting for someone to answer).

Food in the Brasserie is very good value and utterly delicious. A visit to the Beaufort is a must, and a lovely excuse to dress up. The wine list is impressive (go Billecarte Salmon!). Go for the 7 course taster menu - divine.

As an aside, I wouldn't bother shopping in Cheltenham. Bicester (about an hour's drive away) is, however, well worth a visit.

A nice touch was the tiny bottle of fresh milk in the fridge, as well as two small complimentary bottles of water. I know a lot of people say stay in the main building, but we stayed in a ground floor room near the heated pool, where you get your own patio and table and chairs. Very quiet - it really was like being abroad.

We stayed midweek to Saturday, when it was very quiet. There was a wedding reception going on which we didn't hear at all, which is no mean feat in an hotel. It's an excellent venue for business meetings or company weekends away, having both the facilities and a little bit of finesse that makes it appealing to professionals.

On the whole, a lovely place to stay. An hotel is only as good as its staff and what surprised me was how young so many of them were, but they have been very well trained and are unfailingly pleasant, courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: Stay in a ground floor room by the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chunkylongtail
EllenboroughPk, General Manager at Ellenborough Park, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for your recent review, we appreciate hearing our guests comments and are sorry if we slipped up in a couple of areas, I have aked the relevant departments to review procedures.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the various team members you encountered during your stay and we are pleased that you found all them to be pleasant courteous and helpful.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Ellenborough for my birthday, our room was superb, very spacious only issue being when you showered half the water ended up on the bathroom floor.
We decided on some lunch in the brasserie at the last minute and when we went through were told there was nothing and we'd have to wait 20 mins, that was fine but there were empty tables which were not taken up all the time we were there, so I not sure what the delay was other than not enough staff perhaps?
After lunch we went to the spa which was lovely and empty so we had it all to ourselves. There are only 4 beds so I'm not sure what would happen on a busier day. If there was one thing I would change that's there is only an outdoor pool which because it was a dreary day we couldn't use and as a 5 star hotel with spa I would expect an indoor pool with loungers.
Breakfast the following morning was just lovely with a large choice. We sat in the great hall, a superb room.
All in all this is a wonderful hotel and I would definitely return. I would rate it 4 1/2 stars just missing out on the 5 due to the reasons above.

• Stayed: May 2014

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with all the different elements including The Spa, breakfast and relaxing in the Great Hall.
We look forward to seeing you here again.
Ellenborough Park

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheltenham
Buckland Manor
Charingworth Manor
Charingworth Manor
#1 of 3 in Chipping Campden
Queens Hotel Cheltenham - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Ellenborough Park? Share your experiences!