“Beautiful!”

Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
London
“Beautiful!”
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We recently came away for a long weekend and couldn't have been happier with our stay. The staff was polite, obliging and respectful. Food was delicious and all round, we just felt taken care of. Would highly recommend a break away to the serenity of this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
EllenboroughPk, General Manager at Ellenborough Park, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you ‘felt taken care of’ our teams here will be delighted to see this. Thank you for taking the time to tell us.
We hope to see you again soon for another long weekend.

Ellenborough Park

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Switzerland
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I'd planned a trip to the theatre in Great Malvern but decided to stay at Ellenborough Park and enjoy the countryside.

The location of the hotel is perfect, impressive views and some lovely walks around the hotel. The restoration of the original country house to a hotel has been done sympathetically and each room has been carefully designed. The rooms are quiet, comfortable and well equipped.

The Brasserie and Bar provide a good selection of lunchtime fare, the sandwiches are highly recommended. For us the highlight of the stay was the food in the Beaufort Dining room.

The tasting menu was carefully put together and excellent value at £55, the wine pairings selected by the sommelier also showed some creativity and imagination. As has been commented on by others the service was a little hit and miss in the dining room but it soon became clear that it was one young waitress's first week. It seems that speed of service has been a regular problem, we didn't really have an issue with the leisurely pace but considering how few people were dining on the night that we were there, it seems that the problem may be in the kitchen. The breakfast service seemed much more switched on and my Full English Breakfast was very good and freshly cooked which makes a pleasant change.

The staff on reception and the concierge were very professional and arranged a taxi transfer to Great Malvern for our Theatre trip at half the price I was quoted. All-in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and I plan to return sometime soon.

Room Tip: Room 63 in the Annex was quiet and comfortable with good views of the country side.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and wish to return. Thank you for your kind comments on the food, wine pairing and rooms.
We hope you enjoyed the theatre and hope to see you very soon.

Exmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

On arrival I was given a room upgrade to a huge room with a huge bathroom. The staff printed out a walk I could do which turned out to be amazing with beautiful views. I was on my own but never felt out of place. The food was delicious and the service was great. I would stay there again next week if I could.!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your review, it is always lovely to hear guests enjoying the local surroundings and enjoying walks around the Hotel and as you rightly say there are some beautiful views, we have our very own mountain –Cleeve Hill on our doorstep. We look forward to seeing you here again to enjoy the food, service and take in the Cotswolds air. We hope to see you very soon.

Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I took my wife here for a birthday weekend treat. We used the spa and stayed in the hotel. Overall, it was great, the staff were plentiful and I think they had just the right mix between being professional and friendly. From the moment we arrived when someone came out and met us, took the luggage away and parked the car, to the moment that they brought the car back with a complimentary bottle of water and some mints for the journey, we were made to feel very welcome.

The hotel itself is a great building, well decorated and appointed and overall in great condition. We stayed in the main house, just up above the reception & bar. It was pretty quiet the first night we were there, but did here bar noise on the second night (England’s opening world cup game).

All the freebies that were promised through booking with ‘Mr & Ms Smith’ were there and ready and they also did a great job with the birthday cake for my wife.

The spa was nice, but one of the receptionists was a bit confused and somehow our appointments didn’t all happened at the plane time, but they did happen and were pretty good (I’d certainly say reasonably priced as well). If I go back, I’ll plan the spa session timings a little more carefully, but my fault, not theirs. If I have one complaint about the spa, it was that there jacuzzi bubble were hard to get going (it needed some attention from an electrician at a magic switch on the reception desk) and I noticed a couple of missing tiles in the jacuzzi room showers, but I’m a little hyper-critical like that…

The restaurant is probably where I have the most gripes. The food was always somewhere between good and amazing and at £55 for a 3-course dinner, I thought great value. The wines were an extensive collection, the sommelier was a very knowledgable and pleasant lady and we were truly amazed that (like similar hotels I’ve stayed in) the prices were so reasonable. Lots of nice wines in the £30-£50 range and few over £100/bottle. Also true for the bubblies. So the gripes (and these only apply to the Beaufort dining room, we didn’t try out the dining in the bar):
The service was so slow it almost went backwards. As there are a lot of staff around, we just couldn’t work out why, I can only assume that the kitchen has a hard time keeping up. When you’ve already chosen your food, had amuse-bouche and a pre-dinner drink, it seems inconceivable to wait almost 30 minutes after being shown to your table to see the starters arrive. For 3 courses, we didn’t finish in under 2.5 hours on either night. An especial cause of misery to other diners was the delay between served your cheese selection and the biscuits and cuteness arriving (although the cheese selection is epic and well worth a hearty attempt).
There is a very annoying whining noise in Beaufort room caused (I think) by the till/computer thingy. As it’s a quiet dining environment, it’s really noticable and needs sorting out.
My final comment, which isn’t really a gripe, is that as an old house, tables wobble, the flop removes up and down and some of the inventive seating arrangements are a little tough to easily get in and out of. Just worth being aware of that one.

I hope my gripes don’t put you off, but I do hope that the hotel staff read this and take some of the comments on board, because this place gets so many things right (I haven’t mentioned the amazing view, proximity to the racecourse, hidden galleries, loverly pool, gym etc, etc.), but I think it could really be something utterly amazing if the dining room gets it’s A game going. I had a great weekend here, I would recommend it and I do hope to go back some time.

Room Tip: You can choose between in the main house, close to the bar and restaurants, or in the new bit, right...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Naranje
Thank you for taking the time to review following your recent stay. We take recruitment and training really seriously and we are sorry that service was not as good as it should have been and as you rightly point out The Beaufort Dining room is a quiet space so the technology whirring is disappointing we will investigate this and sort. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the views, location, pool and more. We look forward to seeing you again soon for a perfect stay.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We've stayed in many 5 star hotels and this has to be the most disappointing we usually leave this kind of hotel feeling spoiled, pampered and relaxed and wanting to return but not so here, which was such a shame as we had been looking forward to staying here.
On arrival even though we could see concierge in their office no one came to offer help with our luggage. They made no effort to try and check us in early despite contacting them weeks earlier and arriving at noon to check in ( I didn't expect the room to be ready then but there was no attempt to even offer to try and have the room ready a bit earlier than 3pm, ok this is their check in time but every other 4 and 5 star hotel we have stayed in has always manages to check us in a bit earlier when requested.
We did get an upgrade to a room by the pool which was nice( room 24) only problem was that the shower floods the bathroom and also there wasn't a suitable table in room so having breakfast in the room wasn't very comfortable there was a table outside but it wasn't nice enough to sit out.
The main problem with our stay was in the evening we sat in the hall for drinks, service was very slow it took over 20 mins for our drinks to come. Then we dined in the restaurant which has to be one of the worst dining experiences we've ever had, the tasting menu was uninspiring, bland with little imagination and the service was awful food was just plonked down with little description with the waitress looking around at other tables, our amuse bouche was nice and when we said this she didn't say a word she never once asked if everything was ok or if we had enjoyed our meal,our red wine came 2 courses too early and when my dessert came out my husband had just started to choose which cheeses he wanted so my dessert sat and melted. When we asked for the bill the waitress stood right next to my husband while he checked and signed the bill rather than leave it on the table. The restaurant manager just spoke to one table and ignored everyone else, the whole experience was a bit bizarre.
On checkout we had been incorrectly charged and again we were not asked if we had enjoyed our stay which was unusal if she had we would have said no and we won't be returning.
Overall the hotel buildings are lovely but the service and food let it down there just seems to be something lacking.

Room Tip: room by the pool if nice weathere
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank JOOLS11
Thank you for your review following your stay.
We are disappointed that on this occasion you did not receive our usual high standards of service and we will investigate the points you have raised. We do our very best to accommodate guest requests for early check-in however, if we have a full hotel the night before this is very difficult as guests like to stay as long as possible. Recruitment and training are our highest priorities and should you wish to come again I feel confident that you will enjoy a perfect stay.

LONDON
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The hotel is lovely, wonderful peaceful setting and nicely laid out. The main restaurant and the grand hall are beautiful. A nice reception on arrival is being met by your car and helped by attentive staff, who offer to park your car for you. The room was well laid out, nicely furnished with a lovely bright bathroom with good toiletries and a great shower. I ate twice in the Brasserie and once in the Beaufort. The Brasserie which lacked atmosphere a wee bit, was fine. Casual dining, the food was of a good standard and reasonably priced, a varied menu all quite tasty, doing what it said on the tin, friendly staff and an exceptional Spanish maitre de. The main restaurant was wonderful. We choose the tasting menu which was an absolute delight. Splendid food and attentive service, really very good indeed, exciting, delicious food. The small outdoor pool is very nice, sadly not touched due to the poor weather. The staff were courteous and friendly and we had a very enjoyable break overall.

However, I feel the hotel drop the ball on a few small issues, which lets them down. Forgivable as one offs, or at a cheaper hotel, but together quite frankly not representative of a 5* hotel.

The issues I refer to are:

Waiting for some considerable time on more than one occasion at the small bar area to be served. Waiting for some 5 or more minutes at an empty bar late afternoon.

Bedrooms not cleaned very well.

Cold cooked breakfast served and duly returned, the same the following day with a cold coffee pot. I saw a fellow guest have the same issue

Sometimes at the reception there is no one to speak to, You do occasionally find yourself lurking about trying to find someone.

Soap slither left and soap/shampoo not changed every day.

A/C in room not really fit for purpose, mentioned at reception but it seemed the same the following nights.

Whilst we had a very nice break and the hotel has charm and character, I do feel these minor issues just should not happen at a 5* hotel. You should get what you pay for, and this hotel is not a cheap option.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GREENBUSH
EllenboroughPk, General Manager at Ellenborough Park, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay.
I am very pleased that most of it was excellent and that you especially enjoyed the 'Taster menu' in the Beaufort and also that Antonio was exceptional he will be delighted to see this. I have investigated all the areas which, you have highlighted and following training in each of these areas we will do our utmost to ensure that your next stay does not have these niggles.
We look forward to seeing you here again and next time it being perfect.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The title really does say it all, from the moment we arrived to the moment we left, everything about this hotel was truly exceptional. We were greeted by a very friendly gentleman at the entrance who offered to take our bags to our room whilst we checked in. The room we stayed in was only a classic room but was still fantastic, spacious and very comfortable! We were staying in one of the new out building rooms, a short walk from the main house.

Quick tip, I cannot recommend the breakfast in bed enough, even with the food taking a short walk from the main house the poached eggs I had with bacon were absolutely perfectly cooked.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your recent stay. We are delighted that you considered your stay to be 'exceptional' We are also delighted to sea that your breakfast in bed was perfect.
We look forward to seeing you here again soon.
Ellenborough Park
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheltenham
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
Lords of the Manor Hotel
Lords of the Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in The Slaughters
Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery Collection

Been to Ellenborough Park? Share your experiences!