“Amazing spa”

Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Hunton Bridge, United Kingdom
“Amazing spa”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed for two nights with a group of friends for a girlie weekend.
The setting is spectacular, hotel beautiful, staff very polite. But very slow. Appreciate there was a wedding on both days but our extras bill would have been at least double if they moved a bit, just a bit faster. Brasserie food average, shame we did not get to try fine dining as it was fully booked. The bar/restaurant manager (Spanish gentleman) was extremely helpful and a real asset to the hotel. Room was good, very comfortable bed but bathroom needs tlc.
The best thing was the Spa. Five of us had different therapist and if seems they were all fantastic. However it might be a good idea for a hotel of such calibre to get another set of hot stones... Biggest compliments to all spa staff.
Breakfast was a real let down as service was even slower an buffet an hour before the end of service was not replenished and just looked sad. Cooked breakfast was ok.
It is a shame as the setting is so beautiful, spa wonderful but the staff shortage really lets the hotel down. Would love to revisit once this is addressed.

Room Tip: Main building so you do not have to walk in the rain.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
EllenboroughPk, General Manager at Ellenborough Park, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay.
We are delighted that you and your friends enjoyed your girlie weekend here. We appreciate your comments regarding slowness of service in certain areas and are working very hard to rectify this. We are delighted too that you enjoyed your Spa experience and hear your comments about not enough stones for the Hot Stone Massage. In fact, we have very recently purchased the equipment to carry out Bamboo massage, this is fantastic for deep tissue massage and works In a similar way to a Hot Stone Massage so next time you must try this. We look forward to seeing you again so you can experience this and The Beaufort Dining Room food.

Ellenborough Park

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

After spending two nights here for my sisters wedding, I can recommend this as an indulgent luxury hotel, a few pointers for room for improvement, but overall level of service was exemplary.

Appreciate this venue manages to host several functions all the time, but residents being evicted from the brasserie I felt was awkward and left several guests lost.

Noticed in our room (Room 54, separate building away from main hotel) bathroom marks on the toilet seat lid, admittedly this is trivial issue but considering the exceptional standards held throughout the hotel this was a surprising let down. However the room and bed were amazing!

We relocated to a different room (Room 19, in main building) on the second night, as we were part of the wedding party. The transition was seamless, and room even more spectacular! Through no fault of the hotels we weren't able to enjoy this as much as we were too busy enjoying the wedding celebrations.

Food and drinks served both in the restaurant and as part of the wedding breakfast were of high standard. Although £12 for a single glass of wine (after having to return two glasses for serving corked wine) seemed a little steep. I accept and appreciate a hotel of this stature can command the best prices, but only if the quality is on par.

The breakfast included was as expected of very high standard.

Lovely touch to find mints and chilled bottle of water waiting for us in car upon our departure.

Unable to comment on the Spa as I didn't have time to use the facilities.
Overall, I would definitely recommend the hotel and restaurant.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Firstly, we hope you enjoyed your sister’s wedding and lovely to hear you found the hotel indulgent and luxury. Secondly, thank you your comments and a few pointers for improvements. We always welcome guest’s feedback, no matter how small and will ensure that we will consider all of your points raised.
We hope to welcome back soon where you can also enjoy some time relaxing in The Spa.

Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2014

It is a magnificent collection of buildings set in a beautiful park-like setting looking down towards the Cheltenham race course. It cries out elegance and class, all the assets a five star hotel should display. It's a pity the service didn't match the concept. But let me say the staff were willing, attentive and eager to please. So what went wrong? First of all the check-in people didn't look at us, they looked through us. They didn't see an older couple clearly not as spry as once they were. I say this for they put us in a room with the bedroom on one level and the bathroom on another up a steep angled set of stairs. Surely they know that older people tend to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. At three in the morning do they expect us to climb stairs by the half glow of a night light, fumbling for glasses and direction? We travelled for ten weeks and enjoyed wonderful concierge service wherever we stayed. The staff eagerly marked the Tourist Town Maps with restaurants, points of interest, museums et al. The Park had no concierge desk and no town maps. The clerk at check-in made a call and a fellow duly appeared. We asked for a map of Cheltenham and asked if he would mark on it the nearest supermarket and, because we wanted to visit two specific Cotswold villages, the main road out of town towards Oxford. He said he would have to print it out and came back moments later with a MapQuest set of driving instructions to Oxford. We ordered toast and coffee at breakfast and the waiter forgot it. The second morning the waitress brought the coffee but again forgot the toast. Being North American, and I'm sure the Park gets many of them, we are fond of our morning coffee but found the pot provided rather a small amount and the contents were gone in quick order. To simplify matters I asked the waiter to have the kitchen send us out a pot each. He came back and said 'The kitchen said no. You can only have one pot at a time.' .A five star hotel and the kitchen said NO to an extra pot of coffee? I rest my case. This place needs a severe service overhaul.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room where the bathroom is up a flight of stairs. In the half light I took a tumb...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank AJ&ERtravel
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are delighted to hear you found the hotel elegant and class. We shall investigate your comments regarding concierge and service and are sorry that you considered certain standards were not met. We welcome many North American visitors and I'm sorry that you were disappointed.

London
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We recently came away for a long weekend and couldn't have been happier with our stay. The staff was polite, obliging and respectful. Food was delicious and all round, we just felt taken care of. Would highly recommend a break away to the serenity of this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you ‘felt taken care of’ our teams here will be delighted to see this. Thank you for taking the time to tell us.
We hope to see you again soon for another long weekend.

Switzerland
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I'd planned a trip to the theatre in Great Malvern but decided to stay at Ellenborough Park and enjoy the countryside.

The location of the hotel is perfect, impressive views and some lovely walks around the hotel. The restoration of the original country house to a hotel has been done sympathetically and each room has been carefully designed. The rooms are quiet, comfortable and well equipped.

The Brasserie and Bar provide a good selection of lunchtime fare, the sandwiches are highly recommended. For us the highlight of the stay was the food in the Beaufort Dining room.

The tasting menu was carefully put together and excellent value at £55, the wine pairings selected by the sommelier also showed some creativity and imagination. As has been commented on by others the service was a little hit and miss in the dining room but it soon became clear that it was one young waitress's first week. It seems that speed of service has been a regular problem, we didn't really have an issue with the leisurely pace but considering how few people were dining on the night that we were there, it seems that the problem may be in the kitchen. The breakfast service seemed much more switched on and my Full English Breakfast was very good and freshly cooked which makes a pleasant change.

The staff on reception and the concierge were very professional and arranged a taxi transfer to Great Malvern for our Theatre trip at half the price I was quoted. All-in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and I plan to return sometime soon.

Room Tip: Room 63 in the Annex was quiet and comfortable with good views of the country side.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and wish to return. Thank you for your kind comments on the food, wine pairing and rooms.
We hope you enjoyed the theatre and hope to see you very soon.

Exmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

On arrival I was given a room upgrade to a huge room with a huge bathroom. The staff printed out a walk I could do which turned out to be amazing with beautiful views. I was on my own but never felt out of place. The food was delicious and the service was great. I would stay there again next week if I could.!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your review, it is always lovely to hear guests enjoying the local surroundings and enjoying walks around the Hotel and as you rightly say there are some beautiful views, we have our very own mountain –Cleeve Hill on our doorstep. We look forward to seeing you here again to enjoy the food, service and take in the Cotswolds air. We hope to see you very soon.

Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I took my wife here for a birthday weekend treat. We used the spa and stayed in the hotel. Overall, it was great, the staff were plentiful and I think they had just the right mix between being professional and friendly. From the moment we arrived when someone came out and met us, took the luggage away and parked the car, to the moment that they brought the car back with a complimentary bottle of water and some mints for the journey, we were made to feel very welcome.

The hotel itself is a great building, well decorated and appointed and overall in great condition. We stayed in the main house, just up above the reception & bar. It was pretty quiet the first night we were there, but did here bar noise on the second night (England’s opening world cup game).

All the freebies that were promised through booking with ‘Mr & Ms Smith’ were there and ready and they also did a great job with the birthday cake for my wife.

The spa was nice, but one of the receptionists was a bit confused and somehow our appointments didn’t all happened at the plane time, but they did happen and were pretty good (I’d certainly say reasonably priced as well). If I go back, I’ll plan the spa session timings a little more carefully, but my fault, not theirs. If I have one complaint about the spa, it was that there jacuzzi bubble were hard to get going (it needed some attention from an electrician at a magic switch on the reception desk) and I noticed a couple of missing tiles in the jacuzzi room showers, but I’m a little hyper-critical like that…

The restaurant is probably where I have the most gripes. The food was always somewhere between good and amazing and at £55 for a 3-course dinner, I thought great value. The wines were an extensive collection, the sommelier was a very knowledgable and pleasant lady and we were truly amazed that (like similar hotels I’ve stayed in) the prices were so reasonable. Lots of nice wines in the £30-£50 range and few over £100/bottle. Also true for the bubblies. So the gripes (and these only apply to the Beaufort dining room, we didn’t try out the dining in the bar):
The service was so slow it almost went backwards. As there are a lot of staff around, we just couldn’t work out why, I can only assume that the kitchen has a hard time keeping up. When you’ve already chosen your food, had amuse-bouche and a pre-dinner drink, it seems inconceivable to wait almost 30 minutes after being shown to your table to see the starters arrive. For 3 courses, we didn’t finish in under 2.5 hours on either night. An especial cause of misery to other diners was the delay between served your cheese selection and the biscuits and cuteness arriving (although the cheese selection is epic and well worth a hearty attempt).
There is a very annoying whining noise in Beaufort room caused (I think) by the till/computer thingy. As it’s a quiet dining environment, it’s really noticable and needs sorting out.
My final comment, which isn’t really a gripe, is that as an old house, tables wobble, the flop removes up and down and some of the inventive seating arrangements are a little tough to easily get in and out of. Just worth being aware of that one.

I hope my gripes don’t put you off, but I do hope that the hotel staff read this and take some of the comments on board, because this place gets so many things right (I haven’t mentioned the amazing view, proximity to the racecourse, hidden galleries, loverly pool, gym etc, etc.), but I think it could really be something utterly amazing if the dining room gets it’s A game going. I had a great weekend here, I would recommend it and I do hope to go back some time.

Room Tip: You can choose between in the main house, close to the bar and restaurants, or in the new bit, right...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Naranje
Thank you for taking the time to review following your recent stay. We take recruitment and training really seriously and we are sorry that service was not as good as it should have been and as you rightly point out The Beaufort Dining room is a quiet space so the technology whirring is disappointing we will investigate this and sort. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the views, location, pool and more. We look forward to seeing you again soon for a perfect stay.

Ellenborough Park
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheltenham
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#6 of 6 in Broadway
No 38 The Park
No 38 The Park
#5 of 23 in Cheltenham

Been to Ellenborough Park? Share your experiences!