“Average for the price”
Review of Ellenborough Park

Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
“Average for the price”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We visited in June 2014 on our honeymoon, we had informed the hotel that it was a special occassion.
Upon arrival we were very impressed by the grounds, the valet service and the reception area in the beautiful old building.

We were then shown to our Luxury room (the top grade of room before you book a Suites) - sadly it was in the newer annex and the room could have been in any decent chain hotel. It was a large room very well appointed, very large bathroom. However, it had none of the atmosphere or charm that we were looking for - and that we expected having seen the gorgeous 15th century main house. I guess we should have been more specific when we booked, or more assertive once we had checked in.

There were no special touches in the room to celebrate the fact it was a honeymoon.

We ate at the Brasserie, which was fine but nothing special.

I'm sure if you get the right room, this hotel is a dream hotel. Sadly it didn't work out for us - and we wouldn't have felt underwhelmed if it hadn't been so expensive. For over £500 for the room and the meal for 2, we really expected a more personal experience.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms not in the newer annex
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kari-chester
EllenboroughPk, General Manager at Ellenborough Park, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for your review, we have taken your comments and are reviewing how we manage special occasions. I have responded to you in private if you would like to contact me please feel free to call or email.
01242 545454.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Houston
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The hotel itself is amazingly beautiful and so well maintained. Our room was spotless and so roomy we had plenty of room for our kids (11 ½ and 13) to sleep on rollaway beds comfortably. The grounds were so amazing - we had fun just touring the main house/mini-castle, gorgeous gardens and sitting in the outdoor patios. My husband and kids kept seeing rabbits/rabbit families on the grass/hedges on the rive up to the main home. ALL of the staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. The drive to downtown Cheltenham is maybe 5-10 minutes at the most? (It's close - yet you feel removed.) We never made it to the fancy restaurant as we were unsure of our schedule and preferred to be more casual. The casual restaurant was so nice and the food/wait staff - perfect in every way.

Room Tip: We needed a room that would fit me and my husband plus two kids - plus with ramps/no stairs. (High m...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
EllenboroughPk, General Manager at Ellenborough Park, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for your lovely review and saying that your stay at Ellenborough Park was the best bit of your vacation. We are delighted that you all were able to sleep well, enjoy the local wildlife and get into Cheltenham to explore downtown. We hope that you come back to the Cotswolds and if you do stay here once again and we will be delighted to look after you.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

It’s a cheap hotel disguised under a 5 star hotel.

Arrival – wonderful, valet parking, upgrade on arrival, porter us showed the room

Beaufort room - Service is disappointing, 30 mins to order wine, had to ask for butter, 1 hour for starters to appear, despite nice pictures the room is very long and the kitchens are towards the centre of the building, so the waiting staff would have to walk about 50 metres if you were at the end…. suffice to say that everyone is crowded together in an alcove at the other end from the nice large window, where the till is powered by some sort of gas turbine

Room – ‘upgraded’ to room 25, by the swimming pool, on top of the plant room for the swimming pool. Forget pithy metaphors, if you want to know what it’s like sleeping on top of an industrial plant room try room 25. I called reception to ask if there was something we could turn off before I realised the next day where the noise originated. Despite 2 calls and 15 minutes waiting no-one came, I had to get dressed and go to reception. The duty manager said ‘it wasn’t usually this loud’ which I find very hard to believe in hindsight.

I still can’t believe this room was presented as an ‘upgrade’, we were moved somewhere quieter around 11pm.

Brasserie – Couldn’t face the Beaufort room again, and I would recommend the brasserie, excellent service, great food, and you can get the wine list from the Beaufort room so you don’t miss out on anything

Other facilities – As management has taken a house and built several outbuildings with guest rooms, it can get very busy in the house public areas. We couldn’t have coffee in the lounge as it was full, and had to sit in the reception lobby before dinner as there were no free seats in the bar or lounge.

Boot room – a nice idea but no real maps available for walks, staff printed off a walk from the AA website, is the boot room for decoration?

Spa – very nice, worth a visit with the Jacuzzi and massage facilities available

Check your bill! – Despite being told prior to arriving that changing from Beaufort to Brasserie would be reflected on the tariff, this was not the case and I was charged £100 for meals never eaten. It took 2 phone calls and a few days to get a refund organised as both occasions the hotel said they would return my call failed to materialise.

Given this was >£1000 for a weekend I didn’t expect to find myself having to hassle through a weekend rather than being able to relax, if it was priced more appropriately I wouldn’t complain but it’s simply 5* hotel in décor alone.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 25
Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank CJxx388
Thank you for your review following your stay. I am sorry that on this occasion we did not live up to your expectations. We have conversed in private and should you have a change of heart please do not hesitate to call me.

Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel is a delight. Our room was huge and brilliantly appointed with a terrifically comfortable bed and great bathroom. The food was great and the service delivered by a young, charming and enthusiastic team.
Unusually great summer weather meant hours beside and in the pool where lifting the telephone connects guests to room service who cater for every whim.
cannot recommend this place highly enough

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your very kind review we are delighted that you were able to make the most of the summer and enjoy sitting round the pool while here and that our teams helped make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
We look forward to seeing you again.
Berkshire
Reviewed 28 July 2014

As previous reviewers have indicated, the grounds and the buildings cannot be faulted. Beautiful and well maintained, although only what I would expect given the 5 star status and cost to stay here.

What I also expect is excellent service with a smile, service that greets and makes me feel welcome, service that makes you feel as if nothing is too much trouble. Unfortunately, expectations on this score were not met. Staff not confident at all in their approach, they lacked direction and training in many areas. No acknowledgement at the bar when you approach it, I can see they are busy mixing drinks, I don't expect to be served immediately but a simple acknowledgment 'I will be with you a minute' or even 'hello' although I think saying 'hello' to guests shouldn't really require training!

Also few hiccups, such as the terrace that backs onto the restaurant was out of bounds in the evening, due to a laid table being in the way of the exit door! On such a glorious summer evening (we don't get many!) the terrace that has amazing views over the park should be open for pre-dinner drinks and this didn't really stack up I'm afraid! Impressing the point that we wanted to sit out there was uncomfortable. Mishaps at breakfast, tea/coffee and toast being forgotten about, having to ask twice when cooked breakfast had already arrived. Breakfast was okay, nothing to write home about. Dinner however was a different affair, all the food was delicious! Our room was beautiful too.

When I'm paying £500.00 for a 1 night experience, I do expect everything to be perfect, and choosing a 5 star, luxury, historical hotel is what I expect to guarantee this. I note the management are responding on here and say they are taking the issue of service/staff on board, however, reviewers from a month ago complained about this so just how long does it take to correct this issue?.....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Shellage
EllenboroughPk, General Manager at Ellenborough Park, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for your review, we are naturally disappointed that your experience was not as you would have hoped. If you would like to contact me I would be pleased to speak to you directly.

My contact details are 01242 545418

Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in mid July. Very fortunate with the weather which allowed for use of the outdoor pool on our second afternoon, a rare delight in this country.
Lovely location, beautifully maintained and gererally well presented. Very convenient for Cheltenham itself, but equally well situated to access the Cotswolds area (which we did on our second full day) and/or the Race Course if that's your thing.
Very high marks for the "meeter & greeter" service! Your car and luggage is taken from you at the main entrance, you check in and are shown to your Room, by which time the car has been parked and all luggage plus keys deposited in your Room. Rare in this country, but Excellent!
The Room itself , De Luxe level charged at £350/night for 2 incl Breakfast was most acceptable. Well decorated, spotlessly clean, quality furnishings, all the expected accoutrements, plentiful power points, good simple wifi, a safe that worked, super comfortable King bed etc etc. Bathroom decor not to my personal taste, but the wife was happy and anyway, that's a subjective comment.
Had booked my wife a session in the Spa for late afternoon. This apparently was "one of the best treatments" she has ever experienced, and trust me when I say that this is quite an accolade! To add to this, the girls in attendance were absolutely delightful. Only small negative was the size of the Steam and Jacuzzi area.
We ate out on our first night, (Brasserie Blanc in Cheltenham, can recommend), as we wanted to eat in the Beaufort Dining Room and that is not open on Mondays.
Breakfasts on both mornings were slightly disappointing. Portion sizes were the main agravation, I ordered scrambled eggs on the first day. The chef must have been using pigeon eggs because the actual size of the portion was rediculous and frankly the quality, taste, temperature and consistency left much to be desired. I had ordered bacon only to go with it; 2 small rashers of streaky were on the plate?! The remainder of the breakfast; the buffet style with usual suspects available was quite acceptable and of a standard that one would expect. Unfortunately, similar type of experience the next day, the 2 poached eggs ordered were overcooked and hard. 2 slices of (cold) toast offered (wife had breakfast in the Room which was good), other items on the plate of varying temperature. Additional toast took an age to arrive, and no, the Dining Room was less than half full at that point. Coffee was good on both days and apparently the porrdge excellent. The marmalade, absolutely first class. All that said, the cooked side of the breakfast did not live up to the otherwise high standards or the amount of money effectively charged.
Dinner on the second nite started with well constructed cocktails outside. The service was excellent throughout, both starters superb, interesting and totally delicious. We had the same main, the chicked dish that evening. very well presented, it was a little bland, perhaps under seasoned, well cooked and nothing wrong per se, nevertheless not terribly inspiring. Desert, we both decided on cheese; this was very well kept and delightfully presented. Excellent choice of wines, particularly good alternatives by the glass.
Overall, a lovely break in a delightful spot. Good attentive helpful staff and a most pleasant experience.
There is a "but" and we're both struggling to express it reasonably, fairly and accurately. We felt that the place was almost slightly clinical in it's presentation and just a tad exaggerated in certain respects, but relatively characterless in others. the breakfast thing was really quite annoying almost because it was so unnecessay and trivial; just overall a feeling that it was set out as a top end establishment with service and prices to match, but didn't quite reach the very dizzy heights it promissed.
We would score Ellenborough Park at 4.5 , (thus nearly a 5), would recommend and return but perhaps in a cheaper Room to obtain more reasonable value for money.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank andrewsmudge
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review of your two night stay in July. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that the sun shone so you were able to enjoy the great outdoors here. It is disappointing to see that breakfast on both days was not up to our usual high standards. We look forward to seeing you again when hopefully everything will be as you expect.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

It was a surprise 50th weekend away for me, my wife and 2 friends. We arrived on Fri afternoon and loved driving to the door and the subsequent excellent valet service - this was great service. We checked into our room in the newer part of the hotel. Fantastic room, comfy bed, great roll top bath and waterfall shower, fresh milk in the fridge for own brews and complimentary water. We had booked a back massage (me) and a facial (her). This was excellent - Chelsea found many knots in my back that needed straightening out. We had a fabulous afternoon tea and ate in the Brasserie. This was great. The Manager (Polish, Marc....can't remember exactly) was fabulous. Great service. We took our cheese out in the Rose garden. Breakfast food on both days was great, but it seems that waiters and waitresses didn't really know what to do and kept bringing more tea/coffee/toast that we hadn't ordered. We ate in the main restaurant on the second night, had a >£100 bottle of wine which the head waitress didn't know how to deal with when topping up glasses - just poured what was left in the bottle into one guests glass rather than sharing it out. And didn't seem to react when we mentioned it. "It's all gone now" was the response. Coffee in the lounge was a hoot. Cups with no saucers, then no spoons then no sugar ... Had to ask for them all.
But overall we had a great time in great facilities. What stopped it being absolutely perfect was the service (on several occasions) in the main restaurant. Others have commented that the food in the main restaurant was average. We'd disagree and found it great.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your review of your 50th Birthday stay here. We are very pleased that you had such an enjoyable experience and are sorry that some elements of your service weren't quite as efficient as they should be. We are also pleased that you had enjoyable relaxing spa treatments.
We hope to see you here again for your next celebration when everything will be perfect.
Ellenborough Park
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheltenham
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#5 of 23 in Cheltenham
The Lygon Arms
The Lygon Arms
#6 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Ellenborough Park? Share your experiences!