“Good food and service”

Ranked #317 of 460 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$34 - US$61
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The landmark Regency building housing The Montpellier Chapter is a glorious setting for dinner and drinks. The most perfect fusion of old and new, traditional and contemporary, The Montpellier Chapter hotel has been restored to its former glory and given a designer style facelift, its stunning new look evident nowhere so much as in its superb restaurant. Parquet flooring, simple painted walls, sinuously lined furniture and carefully thought out mood lighting do little to distract from the main event ��� The Montpellier Chapter���s food. Prepared in the restaurant���s open kitchen with its beech clay oven, dishes are seasonal British favourites with a firmly classical flavour and local ingredients used wherever possible. Award winning head chef Tom Rains is very much led by inspirational cook and food writer Simon Hopkinson (Roast Chicken and Other Stories) and his philosophy of thoughtfully prepared food. The results are stunning; simple and delicious at once. Open from 10am The Montpellier Chapter���s bar is the ideal setting for not only an aperitif but morning coffee, afternoon tea or a drink and a catch up with friends.
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I went with my parents last week for dinner on Thursday night. The restaurant was not full but had enough people to create a nice atmosphere. My father and I both had steaks and my mother had the fish of the day. We were all happy with our choices and found the staff very friendly and attentive. Looking forward to going back soon!!!

There are newer reviews for The Montpellier Chapter

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Travelled 40 miles to go here for coffee one lunchtime with a friend because I had stayed at the awesome Magdalen Chapter sister hotel in Exeter and was expecting the same fantastic experience. Unfortunately, I got 'Fawlty Towers' instead !! Some 'highlights' included getting served white sugar with coffee and the barman not knowing that sugar is not sweetener ! Then, when it came to pay, hearing the barman tell a newly arrived party of about 10 that they were too large a party for the small bar and could they please 'move out' once served !! Having spent nearly 15 minutes trying to pay for my coffees I asked reception if I could pay there instead and was told no but I will send someone through to take you payment - never happened. Eventually after about 20 minutes managed to get then to take payment for our coffees so spent 30 minutes drinking it and 20 minutes paying for it !! Wont be rushing back................................

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Was staying at the hotel, and though we would give this a try. What a find! Fantastic food; fresh, hot and tasty. Well presented, and a well crafted menu. I really could not fault the food. The service was mostly good, but it seems the male staff (somehow) are just slightly surly here, where as the female staff seem amazingly friendly. Anyway, it's great, give it a go!

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We had a lovely evening here, great food, lovely ambiance, good service - very enjoyable. It was very busy but the service was still efficient and attentive.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

My bridesmaids booked a private room at this fantastic restaurant for my hen party evening meal and it was simply outstanding. The staff couldn't have been more attentive, with a good sense of humour and superb timing. The girls decorated the beautiful room with flowers and candles prior to my arrival and the staff were 100% accommodating to their requests, providing everything they needed. We had our own music in the room for the evening, played through the room's sound system.

A few of us were late to the restaurant and at no point did they show any frustration at all- they reassured me that it was no trouble and settled us in quickly and seamlessly. Having experienced quite the opposite in most restaurants in the UK, this was an incredibly welcome relief on a very special occasion.

They kept the wine flowing freely and our glasses never went empty. The food was served perfectly with just the right amount of time between courses. All of our pre-orders were carried out perfectly. When the time came to pay (for the wine, the food was paid for in advance), it was quick and efficient and the waiting staff gave us some great recommendations for good places to go on to for the rest of the evening.

Quite simply- we all want to thank the wonderful staff at this restaurant for everything they did to make our special occasion even better!