“Yes it is sparkling”
Review of Lypiatt House

Lypiatt House
Ranked #26 of 68 Cheltenham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My friends and I stayed here for the Cheltenham race meeting. The hotel is very clean warm and inviting. The rooms are lovely, comfy beds and pillows and the Honesty Bar is a good idea. The breakfasts were very nice and well cooked but some of my mates thought that one item of each was not enough to see them through the day. There was plenty of fresh fruit and cereals to start with though.
As with some reviews we had an encounter with the owners. On arrival Rebecca allocated our rooms and informed us breakfast was from 7-30 till 9-00am. 2 off my party came down at 8-35 and was told by the owner they were to late as breakfast ended at 8-30. W hen told what Rebecca had told us he didn't believe us. After much debate he relented and offered the guests breakfast but when asked what was on offer he just shrugged his shoulders and stormed off. Then his wife came out took their order and told them on Saturday it was 9-30 for the last breakfast and if they were a minute late they wouldn't get any. This took the shine of the stay because it was a very we'll kept and sparkling clean hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eric R
There are newer reviews for Lypiatt House

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Just stayed for one night in this beautiful house. Nice welcome, Stunning rooms and beautiful conservatory. Absolutely spotless. Plenty of breakfast with juice, cereals, fruit and cooked breakfast, tea and coffee. Also parking. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank GymBunny1954
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Beautiful house and stunningrooms, great location for the town centre and montpellier area.Private parking. The breakfast was well thought out with fresh ingredients on offer and a menu to suit all tastes! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank emmaeg1
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

We found Lypiatt house a great place to stay, we received a good welcome and plenty of information about the local area.
The attic room was small but clean and had a tv and a desk fan.
The breakfast was excellent with plenty of cold choices and a quality cooked breakfast.
We enjoyed our stay immensely and would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank phonicsfella17
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I have just returned from a lovely weekend in Cheltenham with my daughter. Whilst we enjoyed our stay at the Lypiatt House, I have to agree with Louise B and palmatraveler on the welcome. We arrived about 12.45 pm so we knew the room would not be ready, but it was not a problem as we wanted lunch and some retail therapy! The propiator did not exactly rush to the locked front door. But it was his welcome that amazed me! Our room obviously wasnt ready, which i did not have a problem with. He asked my daughter and I about our visit to Cheltenham which I said was for a girly weekend, shopping and relaxing. A perfectly good reason for a weekend away you would think! His reply was "oh how boring, how boring!" My daughter and I exchanged amazed glances! The reason my daughter were in Cheltenham was to have some quality time doing what mom and daughters do as I am recovering from breast cancer and it has been an extremely difficult time for my daughter who is only 20! To say I was cross was an understatement! What we were doing there was none of his business! I have stayed in beautiful hotels and guest houses all over this country and the world and have never felt so cross on arrival. We were on the second floor and were offered no help with our bags. I have to say the room was spotless clean and comfortable but unfortunately the windows needed to be open because of the hot weather and there was a lot of traffic noise from a busy road. The breakfast was tasty, but very small. The waitress was very pleasant and i was relieved when answered the bell to our checkout! I did not want to see the owner again. The lypiatt house is a lovely looking building, spotlessly clean, but the propiator needs to improve his people skills. His welcome and breakfast did not compare with other hotels I have visited in Bath, York, The Cotswolds...you get the picture! On my return to Cheltenham I will be staying at the Willoughby House which gave my family and I a very warm welcome a couple of years ago! Get your act together proprietors of Lypiatt House, nice rooms are what we want, rude proprietors are not!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Croyde1967
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

From when we arrived everything was wrong at this hotel. While checking in at 2:30pm we were told in bad manners that the the room wasn't ready and we shall come back in an hour, so we went for a walk around the lovely city and came back after a while. We assumed that the room was ready as nobody was there to inform us. We found the room unlocked with our bags inside. The house was very quiet as no one was there apparently. We went back to town for dinner and meeting some friends, however no parking space was left when we came back a part of a little gap in one of the corners of the parking. Next morning we wake up very early as breakfast was served only until 9, breakfast was nothing to complain about but very small and poor choice and the breakfast room in the basement of the house, very dark and small. After breakfast we decided to take the car to discover the lovely Cotswolds, however there was a big flower pot behind the car, which obstructed the exit, so my friend decided to move it in order to have enough space to remove the car. At that time the owners came out extremely angry and aggressive. The landlord came out and kicked the flower pot and the landlady knocked on the car window and was extremely rude and after a surreal argument she asked us to leave the hotel. We had to go and pack immediately as we were expecting to stay another night. She told us her son was an attorney so I gave her my business card which she immediately tore up. I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay in this house because of the attitude of the owners.

• Stayed: July 2013
7  Thank Palmatraveler
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Just returned from another stay in beautiful Cheltenham. Arrived at Lypiatt House and rang doorbell, the owner took ages to answer and was just very unwelcoming. He said our rooms were not ready, which wasn't a problem as we wanted to have lunch, when the lady of the house appeared saying that our rooms were ready but there was a real edge to her voice. There was a hostile atmosphere between them and she didn't acknowledge us or even say hello. We felt apprehensive about returning but didn't see them until the following morning. The room was lovely and spotless and on returning from a meal at The Daffodil (amazing place!) we used the honesty bar, which was a nice touch. Breakfast was very good but again no conversation from the owner and no goodbyes or thanks for staying etc. A real shame as the house is beautiful but the owners just intimidated me.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple