“Wonderful steam train experience”

Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway
Ranked #2 of 68 things to do in Cheltenham
More attraction details
Owner description: The Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway is a 13 mile steam and diesel heritage railway in the beautiful English Cotswolds. Visit the GWR stations at Toddington (postcode GL54 5DT), Winchcombe (GL54 5LD), or Cheltenham Race Course (GL50 4SH). Free Parking, and there is so much to do in addition to riding on the heritage trains. There are authentic Great Western Railway stations and well-stocked shops. Catering options include the buffet car on the train, the Flag & Whistle Restaurant at Toddington Station and the 1950s themed Coffee Pot cafe at Winchcombe Station. There is a model railway coach and the Discovery Coach at Winchcombe Station, whilst at Toddington there is a self-guided heritage trail, a children’s play area, a have-a-go signalbox and a locomotive yard viewing area. Check out our website to see the operating days, the train times and the range of this year's special events, both for enthusiasts and for children.
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I really enjoyed our train experience. Riding along on a real steam train was wonderful, and the countryside we travelled through was beautiful. It was very 'Harry Potter' like, especially as we paid the extra £2 for the First Class carriage, so we're sat in a carriage much like that of the Hogwarts Express. So whilst it has nothing to do with Harry Potter, if you/your children like HP then this is a lovely experience.
I also thought the stations were brilliant. They had authentic decor and props such as weighing scales, a bunch of suitcases, fire buckets, etc. and the small green area of the stations were beautifully kept with lovely trees and flowers.
The staff were excellent. Very informative, and all very friendly.
There wasn't a whole lot to do at the stations which was its only let down. But I'm really glad we did it and would certainly recommend it to anyone. Our one year old loved it too.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,013)
All reviews
"station staff"
"return journey"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed 1 September 2014

The volunteers , who run this steam railway, are helpful and kind to young kids. We boarded at the Cheltenham Racecourse and toured around at Toddington. There was a quiz for the kids. And a good cafe to have a snack. A very enjoyable morning.

Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Probably the friendliest heritage railway I've ever visited. Stations are very quaint and well maintained. Engines are well presented and the staff, always helpful and friendly, are immaculately turned out. A really enjoyable day.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Day out with the grandchildren.
Staff very friendly ..and children get a free activity booklet.
Unfortunately when we arrived back at the station for the return journey the diesel had given up the ghost and was stuck up the line, blocking it! Steam was always more reliable if a little harder to start. We were given a lft back to where our car was parked and give a complimentary family ticket...just like the main line operaters treat you...ha ha!

1  Thank robkidder
See more reviews
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Before you read on, I confess I absolutely love a heritage railway and this one has diesel engines as well as steam, so it was going to be a winner for me. But the volunteers here do a particularly terrific job; everything is so well organised, from the trains running to time and description, to a really lovely tea shop (a timely cream tea can really placate a less interested husband). They have all sorts of engines and carriages which are both restored and working, and also awaiting a great deal of loving care, and I loved seeing all the work in progress. My favourite touch was the rather imposing and appropriately attired Stationmaster. When I retire in 30 years I hope I can volunteer somewhere similar.