“God lunch time fare”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“God lunch time fare”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was my first time eating at the Norwood, although I have drunk there several times. I wasn't looking for haute cuisine but for a lunch time meal this is perfectly adequate and even rather good. The ambiance is good, it's a neat and tidy establishment with a good selection of liquid refreshments, including a number of well kept real ales.

The service is friendly without being over the top and I particularly like the idea of sitting at the "high ups" a typically American idea which seems to work well here.

My partners pasta was certainly very good and I had no problems with my steak ciabatta and chips although the latter were just a little over done.

All in all an appealing lunch time venue and we'll be going there again.

1 Thank Steve R

Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Nice place with some good deals”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Having lived nearby for many years we hadn't actually been here for well over ten years, so pleasantly surprised at the decor and general ambience (it used to resemble a children's playground back on the day!), anyway, good deal on wine, buy two large glasses and get a third free, plus some food offers. Three of us ordered steak ciabatta which we thought a bit steep at £6.45 for a ciabatta bun with a small amount of steak, chips being extra. Attentive service. We will return but perhaps peruse the menu a little more next time.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“great family pub”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Every restaurant and pub's atmosphere comes from the manager's direction and the Norwood Arms must have one whose personality has put a stamp on this reassuringly traditional pub which nonetheless has a very youthful feel. It's easy to keep an eye on the children while you enjoy a pint before gathering for a family meal. The food is plentiful, well-cooked and presented. Although it doesn't come under the classification of gastro-pub, it is clear that the chef knows how to please the punters. We all commented on the easygoing atmosphere, the comfortable seating and wished it could be our neighbourhood pub. Although it was full when we went, a table was made available very quickly and we had the nicest possible waitress who took our order. Will definitely go back!

• Visited April 2014
Halifax, United Kingdom
“A lovely little pub”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I hadnt looked on trip advisor before calling in, and quite glad I hadn't. Having now looked at the other reviews I think that a lot of what has been mentioned previously must have been addressed. The staff were friendly, the pub itself was clean and welcoming, and the food was lovely. Decent sized portions and lovely steak :) All in all a lovely pub. Will be sure to call in again when am next in the area.

• Visited May 2014
“Don't believe the other reviews. I loved it.”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I visited this beautiful typical English pub on a Sunday. My family and I were welcomed straight away as soon as we walked through the door. The inside of the pub was truly wonderful and the bar staff were wonderful in suggesting what wine would go best with our roast dinners., a beautiful glass of red to wash down my splendid roast dinner. A roast dinner that clearly had been cooked with love and not out of a packet like some one else has suggested on this site. My beef was some of the nicest cooked beef I have tasted for quite some time. Far beyond the quality that you would normally find in a chain pub.
The biggest delight of my trip was the pimms jelly! Oh my goodness it's really just truly scrummy. You must try it if you go.

• Visited April 2014