“Relaxed, friendly, well run,and good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Montpellier Brasserie - CLOSED

The Montpellier Brasserie
Cuisines: British, French
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Relaxed, friendly, well run,and good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

We had a very enjoyable evening here celebrating my husband's birthday. The welcome was great, the room was attractive, the food was lovely. There were no delays, we were greeted immediately by Ruth the efficient and friendly front of house who was obviously in control of her well trained staff.
Our order was taken promptly and the food was faultless. The rest rooms were clean and pretty. I would recommend anyone to try this place and we will be back.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Moira P

christinaanne068
“Not being able to book is an issue”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

We went here on a Saturday evening with some friends, meeting up at 7.30 with a view to having a drink before eating maybe around 8 pm. On arrival we were informed that we would have at best a 40 minute wait for a table with a worst case scenario of 1 hour. We decided to wait (rather than take the option of going to the Thai restaurant next door) as we were keen to try the food.

To be fair, we were seated within 40 minutes and our order taken by a very pleasant waitress. We were mostly quite satisfied and in some cases, impressed with the food which was well presented and delicious.

There were a couple of minor issues which could easily be avoided. Our plates didn't arrive all at once (meaning that three of us had to wait to start - luckily those had cold starters) and one of our party had a query over the wine which was resolved.

The decoration (and yes, the "ladies" is quite something) is very appealing and the atmosphere was lively as was the bar area on this particular night (but that could have been because there were so many people waiting for tables).

As long as they don't accept bookings my husband doesn't want to go again which is a pity. I am not sure what the answer is because had we turned up at 6.30 with a view to eating at 7.30 - 8.00 would we have been shown to a table straightaway? I would not want to celebrate a special occasion here either for precisely that reason - the unpredictability is irritating (maybe its just us!). I am sure I would have rated this restaurant higher had we been able to book in advance.

1 Thank christinaanne068
Cheltenham
“A LESSON IN FRONT OF HOUSE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

I am really pleased that this restaurant has opened and wish them the best of luck. It's about time that Cheltenham had somewhere cheap and good to eat. I've been there twice, once for a family birthday celebration and once with a business contact. The food is of the good, tasty bistro variety reminiscent of a French brasserie. We have eaten the full range of the menu from the dish of the day [cheap and delicious] to the lobster [expensive and adequate rather than great]. They come into their own with rustic flavours rather than fine dining but, frankly, no restaurant ever gets everything right. Where this place sparkles is in its staffing. The lady maitre d is charming and sets the tone for the rest of the waiting staff who are lovely: helpful and attentive without being servile. I, personally, find the decor depressing. It was a bank and brought back unpleasant memories of overdrafts etc although the loos do exhibit some welcome whimsy. Overall, though. a very good package

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank CAMPOLINDO
“Mmmmmm......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

The food was very average as was with the service. I was charge an extra £2.00 for a small and I mean a small jug of custard to go with the crumble which mades my pudding in excess of £7.00! Not in a hurry to go back as there are many other finer restaurants in the area!

2 Thank CKCK2011
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Go to the Real Monpellier Wine Bar.. This one is just appalling and should be avoided.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

Where to start its that bad !! on two occassions we have tried to eat in this place, cant book so had to take a chance and call in. not busy but clearly chaotic with a team of people more interested in aoiding eye contact than actually doing what I presume they are paid for "serving the public" After waiting 15 minutes at the bar we were not offered a drink once (3 people behind bar ) we then asked for a table to be told we would have to wait ( not full and with no pre booking service slightly confusing) after anothe 20 minutes my husband asked who appeared to be manager " you are clearly too busy to deal with us would you prefer we left?" he said " actually yes it is a bit hectic tonight" we left and waited for 2 more weeks when I called them to see if during race weekend they would be taking bookings. Whoever answered the phone was clearly hell bent on keeping the paying public away, rude, unhelpful and patronising. I ended up saying we would not go as to be honest they have the most inefficient and rude staff ever encountered. I imediately booked into The REAL Wine Bar with a professional and helpful member of the team and our table was ready for us with fantastic food , service and atmospehre. We spend over £300 there with chamapagne and food. If the owner of The Brasserie reads any of these reviews he should get rid of all staff close the doors and go home.

5 Thank polly e