“Do not waste your money on this dump!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chapel Spa

Chapel Spa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: From the moment you step through the doors of Chapel Spa you'll know you've arrived at a unique and special destination. Set in the peaceful and picturesque surroundings of a 19th century chapel the Mediterranean-Style décor and eclectic interior exudes a luxurious ambience. As you walk through the candlelit lounge with it's stunning gallery and arched chapel windows you'll feel instantly relaxed and ready to let your worries drift away. Re-energise, relax, indulge and pamper!
Cheltenham
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“Do not waste your money on this dump!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We visited the spa in June as a group of 10 on a hen party. Where to start with how this was absolutely awful and a complete rip off?

Probably with the fact that this joke of an establishment take a £5 per guest deposit for a locker key (why!?!) and then don't make any attempt to refund this. Had I not have emailed them to request a refund I never would have recieved one.

I was particularly unimpressed with this on top of the experience of the day itself. One of my party called on Friday and was told her choice of treatment was unavailable but that we could book massages on the day to then be told on the day that 'no trained staff were available but we COULD HAVE THE OIL AND DO IT OURSELVES!!. I've never been to a spa before but I'm pretty sure it's not standard practice to perform your own massages? I'm also fairly confident that a relaxing spa environment doesn't involve mouldy blinds and loungers covered in white stains or quite frankly rude customer service.

The young lady who was looking after our party was rude throughout the whole afternoon. Who knew the tea part of afternoon tea arrives 20 minutes after the food and that a spoon was not usually provided to stir tea? Apparently it is too much of an inconvenience to provide a spoon and every question or comment we made had to be responded to with a huff and an eye roll.

This was supposed to be a special day for the bride to be which was tainted by this experience, not to mention the embarrassment that I suffered from being responsible for organising it.

They chanrged us £320 for a DIY dirty spa and substandard customer service from what can only be described as a miserable teenager who treated us entirely as an inconvenience? And as mentioned attempted to withhold my £50 deposit.

When I contacted the spa to complain I was told my email had been forwarded to the manager, a week later - no response so I can only assume they don't care about customer experience.

5 Thank ileftmyheartinTokyo
ChapelSpa C, Manager at Chapel Spa, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Chapel Spa would never purposely withhold monies owed to clients and if for any reason somebody has not received their refund a record of their name is kept to the side ready for the next morning for them to be called and issued this refund immediately. We would under no circumstances withhold this money from clients with intention to keep this for ourselves. I am disappointed that even after being reassured this by my receptionist and you thanking her personally for her assistance that a review has been written implying that we have attempted to withhold this deposit money. this was never our intention.

We have recently had new ownership of Chapel Spa as of the 1st of May, the £5 locker key deposit is an old procedure and is something that as of the 1st of May was stopped immediately. Unfortunately as your party booked in prior to the takeover this had already been taken from you. Please be assured that we now have a much better procedure in place and no money is taken in exchange for a locker key therefore situations like you have experienced will not happen again.

You have mentioned about the spa itself and that it is not what you would expect. Please be assured that the new owner will be investing in Chapel Spa to improve the facilities which will include a big refurbishment in the new year! In the meantime the areas in which you have mentioned will be looked at immediately.

In terms of the treatment unfortunately we are a busy spa and get booked up on weekends many weeks in advance, it is advised that should you wish to book treatments that this is done sooner rather than later to avoid disappointment, unfortunately phoning to book at treatment the day before you are due to come isn’t always possible due to availability.

I apologise for the level of customer service that you received from the young lady that was looking after you. We learnt that after that weekend this particular member of staff had intension to leave Chapel Spa and now no longer works for this company. We apologise that she didn’t put in 110% into her customer service whilst working her last weekend at Chapel Spa and that you received such a poor level of customer service on your visit. I can assure you that my other staff do not have this 'teenage' attitude and customer care is extremely important to us with ' a nothing is too much trouble' attitude being an important trait for our staff to have.

I am sorry that you were not happy with your spa day with us, please be assured that improvement in terms of the overall look and facilities of Chapel Spa are being made and will continue to be made.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times,

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“AWFULL!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Absolutely terrible experience. would not waste your money, my parter had 2 treatments which came to £70 he then went on to use the spa facilities to be told he was not aloud unless he paid a supplement fee on top of the spa treatments! I rang the spa to complain about this service, they said many spa's have this policy in place, iv been to a few spa's and this has never been the case! who visits a spa and not used the steam and sauna after? i asked for a refund but was instead offered a voucher for use of the spa...outrageous as he was not aloud to use the spa in the beginning. rest assured i will not be returning to chapel spa, i advise anybody not to make the same mistakes we did.

3 Thank nataliefleur2014
ChapelSpa C, Manager at Chapel Spa, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Chapel Spa does not advertise that spa use is included when you have booked treatments here with us, these are separate bookings unless you choose to book one of our set day spa packages. This is all very clear within our brochure and website.

Due to the size of our spa facilities we have a maximum capacity of spa guests able to use these at one time. Therefore for this reason we have to ensure that a separate booking is blocked out for those that wish to use the spa facilities. Upon time of booking it was not mentioned that your partner wanted to use the spa facilities otherwise you would have been informed that it was an additional cost and advised of the best spa package for you.

We are a stand alone day spa and not part of a hotel where quite often spa facilities are included within your room rate. Treatments are always an additional extra in this case.

As your partner received the service that you paid for unfortunately we were not able to offer you a refund for something that you did not book or receive. As a gesture of good will were happy to offer you a spa pass to return for your disappointment that you thought that the spa was included within the price paid not due to receiving a bad service from us.

In response to your question ' who visits a spa and not used the steam and sauna after?' - We have many clients that come to us for treatments only and do not wish to use our spa facilities which is why we offer them as separate bookings.

Please be sure to always ask upon time of booking exactly what is included within the price paid to avoid any disappointment.

We are sorry to hear that you will not return to Chapel Spa.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Avoid like the plague!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

What was supposed to be a relaxing end to a lovely weekend has now turned sour and has left me feeling short changed and dirty. I had the indian head massage and a 30 minute back massage which cost £70.00 as a fathers day present. After receiving these treatments (very lacklustre effort massages may i add) i asked where the showers were, to which i got told that i was not allowed to enter the showers or steam room etc as it was not in the price paid! they wanted an additional £18.50 for use of the showers! i refused to pay this and had to leave the spa covered in oils. Disgusting treatment in my eyes and the worst spa I've visited!

4 Thank Craig3004
ChapelSpa C, Manager at Chapel Spa, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at Chapel Spa. I believe there may have been some confusion as to what was included within the price that was paid.

Your partner booked you in for treatments only which does not include use of our spa facilities. We do not advertise that spa use is included when having booked treatments unless you have chosen one of our set spa packages.

If it was simply a shower you would have wanted to rinse off the oils your therapist would have happily shown you to the shower area. As you specifically asked for spa use the information of an additional cost was the correct information given to you.

I'm disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your treatments with us, and also surprised as the therapist you had is one of our most requested massage therapists.

I am also surprised by these comments as this was not the impression you gave on departure or when asked by your therapist, nor did your partner mention your disappointment of the treatments themselves when phoning to query the spa use.

Feedback is important to us to ensure that our standards remain high, it is a shame that you have chosen to write a review rather than speak to us direct regarding your disappointment with the treatment itself as we would have been able to discuss this further with you.

As spa pass was offered to you partner as a gesture of goodwill for your disappointment of thinking that the spa facilities were included, which was declined.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times,

The Chapel Spa Manager
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Excellent little city Spa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Would thoroughly recommend this lovely little city spa, it is in a beautiful old chapel a couple of minutes’ walk from the heart of Cheltenham, we booked ourselves in for a few hours access to the spa with afternoon to follow for my friends hen weekend, it isn’t a massive spa which you wouldn’t expect from city spa anyway but it was perfect, there were only a few small groups in so it was over crowded, the spa pool was lovely as was the steam room, it wasn’t brightly lit so was very relaxing to the point where we had a small snooze at one point.

All of the staff were very friendly, helpful and welcoming, few of the girls had the Ease Neck, Back and Shoulder massage which they said was nice and relaxing, the rest of us had face masque’s which were great too.

All in all it was great spa morning and excellent value for money, great for girly relaxing.

Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Very poor organisation/customer services”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Having booked a special Mother's Day treat for myself and my mother, 2 months in advance I was initially told that I could have the treatments I wanted, and to ring and pay for them. When I rang in I was told they couldn't accommodate the full booking, but would do a shortened version. However, a couple of days before the appointment I had an e-mail reminder stating that I was having a different treatment to what I had booked. By then it was too late to find another spa to go to on a busy Mother's Day, so I very reluctantly agreed to go. When we arrived I was told that I couldn't have the treatment at all, they had staff off sick and couldn't cover it. I was really upset and asked for a refund, which they agreed to, but the girl on reception didn't know how to work the till and stated that she wasn't trained to do this. I asked if I could have a refund over the phone as I lived 30 miles away, but she said no, I'd have to come back. The duty manager wasn't available to speak to and I was given a time to return, which also clashed with a family lunch we had organised. I did get an e-mail from the Spa to say sorry and that they agreed with my complaints, they also said that they had spoken to staff about the way they handle bookings/customer service. However, this didn't help us and the whole experience was terrible.

Visited March 2014