“Small but beautiful”
Review of Prithvi

Prithvi
Reserve with OpenTable
Prithvi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 482 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$56 - US$98
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A statement of serenity and calm. A refined and sophisticated approach to dining Indian in an intimate and relaxed surrounding.Prithvi, "Earth or Mother Earth, in the ancient Sanskrit", where mouthwatering food and an attention to detail is second to none.
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I went here on Saturday lunch time, I looked at the menu outside and thought..... Walked away and then decided to try this establishment. The restaurant has not been open for long but when you walked in the smell of light spicy aroma and the spotless decor made me realise I was in for a treat. I don't often eat Indian/Bangladeshi food as I am dieting at the moment. Hey ho stuff the diet from time to time. Firstly this place serves top notch food. To start with an amouse bouche of a little tiny puffed up hollowed out bread with a cold tamarind consommé poured at the table, set the tone for the meal to come. The whole meal was beautiful. Start to finish. The service was exemplary. Wine list was very good. I was the only diner during service. This place should be packed during the daytime, it's a shame. They care about the food and don't take short cuts. Most restaurants in Cheltenham don't have the tandoor on at lunchtime to save money and therefore serve substandard food, not here...... Give it a try, it was great from start to finish. With only 30 covers you will need to book for the evening. Live a bit and have lunch instead if you don't fancy a night time sortie. This place is not for the footy yob's with ten pints of lager inside them..... Thank God!!!

1  Thank valhalla13
Write a ReviewReviews (1,212)

Reviewed 16 June 2012

We had our first dinner here a few nights ago and it certainly will not be our last.
The restaurant has a pleasant ambiance, the staff were friendly and happy to answer my questions as my knowledge of indian cuisine is sadly lacking.
The starters were delicious, great spices and nicely balanced heat - I don't have any tolerance for hot food and my steak with lentils as a main course was perfect. The sides were also delicious, I would have been happy just with the aubergine cooked with onions and tumeric and a side of mushroom pilau!
Wine list had enough choices to complement the food (Alsace etc).
Really looking forward to our next visit.

3  Thank smudgesticks
Reviewed 15 June 2012 via mobile

Great tasting curry and really soft tender lamb. Only minor point was it was just meat and sauce. Very nice curry and would of got a 5* with some other bits in it.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

Greeted by the friendly staff, seated at a good sized table for two. A varied menu, we opted to start with poppadoms with three dips, the mango and chilli one was fantastic. Then the starters arrived, I had chicken cooked three ways each with its own individual sauce. Each sauce and chicken combination was perfect. Then onto the main courses, I had nihari lamb shank with side orders of mushroom pilau rice and garlic naan, again all wonderful.

It's worth highlighting that we were going to order coconut rice however our waiter pointed out that this wouldn't work with either of the dishes my wife and I ordered, and the mushroom rice would be a better bet. In hindsight he was spot on, they really do know the menu and value customer service.

The wine list had a good, well priced choice for white and red, we had a Trimbach Gewurztramminer which went well with pretty much every dish.

So overall one of the best dining experiences I have had in Cheltenham and certainly the best Indian food anywhere, ever. Will return soon.

3  Thank Malefacent
Reviewed 10 June 2012

A group of 6 of us came to Prithvi for the first time, and it was by far the best Indian restaurant in the town centre. Innovative dishes quite different from the norm, excellently presented and great atmosphere. If you like fine dining with an Indian twist then you wont be diapointed.

2  Thank Salcheltenham