“Kindness personified”

Ranked #41 of 70 Cheltenham B&B and Inns
Congleton
“Kindness personified”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My wife , Vee , and I had a very enjoyable weekend stay at the Alice Guest House because
it was lovely and cosy and the hosts so warm and friendly . In fact I didn't know when to
stop chatting as they treated us almost like family ! I even got to practise my French with
one of the hosts .
We enjoyed our Chinese buffet at the Brewery only because the lady host told us about it-
we had no idea this dining area existed in Cheltenham and were delighted to find it so
near to this guest house. Very convenient .
Also enjoyed the large screen on the tv in our room and the continental breakfast in the morning.
Will definitely stay here again. Much nicer than at a hotel .
David Trembath

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Unfortunately wasn't made aware before booking that they only accept cash or cheque so had to head out to a cashpoint after arriving late in the evening and there isn't parking. The room I had inside the main house housed the boiler which made a racket for an hour before bedtime, making relaxing a challenge. The shared bathroom was lovely but acquired a strong smell of sulphur in the morning, which almost put me off what was a lovely breakfast. The owners were friendly and accommodating and the price was great, but perhaps the outside rooms would be a better option.

• Stayed September 2013
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Booked here for 1 night. I emailed the guest house direct to ask if the double room I had booked for 2 adults could accommodate my 5 year old son, They emailed back no problem.
Arrived, very nice owner, very clean little wooden chalet in garden all as expected but no bed for child just one small double. I was told by owner that she has no air bed/put up bed and she had not known I was bringing a child???!! As a result my husband spent a very uncomfortable night on the wooden floor and me and child had the bed.
We were too tired to argue as also had a long drive the next morning.
I would like to hope people can be honest and if cannot provide extra beds then they should advise prior to booking- This ruined what would otherwise have been an excellent little b and b and yes I am going to request a part refund-

Room Tip: make sure you ring if your booking is not done direct and you have special requests
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sunflower M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This is my time leaving a review and this B & B totally deserves it!! i paid £40.00 which compared to other hotel and B &B's in Cheltenham is one of the cheapest but a proper hidden gem!

As soon as you ring the bell, you are greeted by the really pleasant and friendly owners who make you feel right at home!

I stayed in a standard double room with a shared bathroom. both which are very big and very clean!

the next time i stay in Cheltenham again, ill be back to this B & B for sure!! :)

just a little tip : the guest house does not accept credit cards. Be sure to have the cash with you

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Hua7
Paris, France
Reviewed 10 August 2013

The owners and their children do make guests feel very welcome. Clean, charming room and no problem sharing the bath. Nice price. I was jet lagged so slept from the time I checked in (after a welcome cup of tea) to the next morning, undisturbed. Jean speaks both French and English. Guests should know that the guest house does not accept credit cards. Be sure to have the cash with you.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
grantham
Reviewed 23 June 2013

just got back from cheltenham ukulele festival after staying at this gem of a b and b.nothing was too much trouble from owners,slept in a massive 4 poster bed,only, 7 minutes from town.lovely and clean with good continental breakfast. well recomended and for only £35.00 a night.will hopefully will return next year

Room Tip: all rooms are great
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

The owners Karen and Jean were so welcoming and hospitable which made my first visit to Cheltenham a fine and memorable one.

The guest house is situated pretty much in the city centre. It is approx 20 minutes walk from the Cheltenham Spa Railway Station and 10-15 minutes walk from the high street where you will find a broad selection of shops and restaurants including the harvester pub and grills in 'the Brewery' where I went dining after dropping of my luggage and nipping in and out a number of shops.

Although from what you can see on the map, this guest house is right next to one of the main roads but it was strangely quiet than I thought it would be once I entered the front gate through to the accommodation area. The chalet where I stayed faces their well loved and looked after garden bordered to this discontinued rail track on top of this peaceful looking old tall wall. The room is nicely decorated with African ornaments and well equipped with all facilities that one needs including a wall-mounted flat screen TV, little bar corner where the kettle and tea, coffee are.

My stay was most comfortable and I was made to feel like a VIP by the owner couple. Alice, oh how I look forward to staying in your wonderland again soon!

• Stayed June 2013