“Whats happened to the Ruby ?”
Review of Ruby Cantonese - CLOSED

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Whats happened to the Ruby ?”
Reviewed 11 January 2013

After visiting the Ruby on many occasions over the last 10 years I was looking forward to returning for another visit. However since my last visit it has obviously changed hands and my god has it changed. Not only has it not maintained the same standards, it was probably the worst chinese meal I have had in the last 20 years. The food was tasteless I mean really tasteless, the plates that the food was served on were cold and the portion size of the main courses was laughable. The only thing that had not changed from previous visits was the bill, £25 a head was outrageous when you look at what was served up. If your thinking of going don't, spend your money on a chinese takeaway as I am sure it would be higher quality.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank York1962

Winterthur, Switzerland
“We've run out! (of food it would seem)”
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Having been to this restaurant in the past I was very much looking forward to the meal. When we arrived (four of us) we weren't the only ones there (sometimes we have been), which is usually a good sign. The restaurant has been a little up and down over the years, so I guessed it was on it's way back up.

We ordered the wine (and water) and waited, and waited, and waited. We asked for the wine again and said we were thirsty. Around 10 minutes after the wine and water arrived. At least we had a drink to be going on with while we waited for the food. The starter arrived and we got stuck in to the crispy duck. Unfortunately they had run out of spring onion (no 1) so we had raw onion for the pancakes!? While eating the waitress came over and said they'd run out of lemon chicken (no 2), so we ordered something else ((hoi sin chicken). When the main courses arrived they brought three of the four and said that they'd run out of hoi sin chicken (no 3) so here's some hoi-sin pork instead. We ordered some extra crispy beef as the portions had gone down in size since the last time we had been there. Just before we had finished the main course (no sign of the beef) the waitress came over and said they'd run out of the the chilly beef (no 4) (do we want some prawns instead?) We gave up and didn't bother. We did stop for desert and tea/coffee but then went home.

Essentially the food was pretty good and I probably will go back, but I'd recommend not going during a holiday season - in case they run out of food altogether!

• Visited December 2012
Leyland, United Kingdom
“Tasty and plenty to eat!”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I was taken to this restaurant after work by my host at Gloucestershire University after delivering two lectures. I was tired and but really hungry. The service was great, quick and friendly. The food was really good. My host was Malaysian by birth and commented that many of the dishes had a really authentic taste and hadnt compromised on quality just to suit the British palate. Having travelled a number of times to the Far East in the last couple of years and always eaten traditional local food, I had to agree. Even the Chinese tea reminded me instantly of my last visit to Hong Kong. The only negative was that there was so much food, we couldnt finish it all. Would definitely eat there again.

Essex
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A lovely night out”
Reviewed 6 October 2012

After reading some of the more recent reviews on here, we were slightly reluctant to try this restaurant - but it was our side of Cheltenham, so we braved it.
We were there early evening and so given a table for two in a little side room, which gave it a really intimate feel. All the staff were lovely and attentive without being over the top. The only time we died wait for a while to be seen to was when it came to asking for the bill, but as soon as we made eye contact and requested it it was fine. We think this may also have been because by this stage the restaurant was very busy, and we were in our romantic room!
We had the basic set menu which was very reasonably priced and a bottle of Prosecco which was about the same price as the wine!
Finally the food.... It was quick, hot and nice. Sadly it wasn't amazing and I admit some parts did lack as much flavour as you hope for - my partner did point out it also did not have the fluorescent colour of food with a lot of MSG, so maybe this was the reason.
A lovely night out.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Dissapointing”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

The Ruby used to be the place to go but not anymore staff were slow and not very attentive. Food was over priced and bland. The bill at the end was also wrong which is confusing as we were only one of two tables dinning that night. Will not be returning any time soon.