“Disappointing”

The Suffolk Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Suffolk Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #117 of 455 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We were very disappointed both by the staff and the food.

1) Had a phone call from the restaurant a half hour before dinner to check we were OK with only having a table for two hours - apparently they were very busy and needed it back. Not a problem for us but seemed a bit off when the booking system said they had several spaces two hours later anyway.

2) Arrived at 7 pm to almost empty restaurant - only one other table occupied. We were shown to the pokiest squashed table in a corner and so I asked if we could use one of the other vacant ones. This was refused as the other ones were going to be used later. I asked if they had been booked individually and the waitress said they had not, it was just that it was inconvenient for them to use another table for us!

3) Food came in good time but was very ordinary. "Home made bread" very disappointingly uninteresting. Daughter had belly of pork but crackling and sweet potato chips (her favourite which at 13 she can make better herself at home) were over cooked. My meal of liver was well cooked but fairly insipid.

4) Staff seem to be dim posh girls that do not make for a good dining experience.

Given the chance, go somewhere else instead as it looks promising from the outside but was disappointing. Tarragon the night before was great.

3 Thank Katie D

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best food in Cheltenham!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Took us a little while to discover the gemthat is THe Suffolk Kitchen, even though we live just over the road!
I was taken here for my 21st birthday back in February and the food was exquisite!
I had mussels to start and steak for my main, while my boyfriend had beef carpaccio and belly pork. All 4 were beyond delicious and cooked exactly how we had asked! The service was warm and pleasant, water and bread (which was homemade and delicious!) were topped up often and wine poured for us.
Having such a pleasant experience we went back recently.
We were welcomed by an entirely new, but equally delicious menu! There was even room for dessert this time! (Which incidentally is one of the loveliest cheese boards I have ever had!) The service was just as pleasant and the cocktails were an added bonus!
I have to say, The Suffolk Kitchen isn't just the best place I've eaten in Cheltenham, it's one of the best places I've eaten in the UK. Also, their ethical sourcing of local and sustainable food is something that is very attractive to me.
I absolutely can not recommend this place to anyone enough and can not wait for our next visit!

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Going from strength to strength”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

A friend, knowing it was my Birthday offered to take me out for dinner and to choose a restaurant. Saturday nights in Cheltenham are very busy so I asked at the Suffolk Kitchen and they could only fit us in at 6.30pm, a bit earlier than I wanted but I knew there wasn't much choice as this was only last Thursday

I've been here before and I've written a review about it before, but that was some time ago and I wondered if it was still as good as I remembered.

I need not have worried. It wasn't, it was better! From excellent service to a wide choice of dishes and a good reasonably priced wine list, ordering was easy and, even on a Saturday they offer a fixed price selection for around 14.50 for 2 courses.

As they had my all time favourite liver on for a main, the choice was easy. And what was served? Excellent. My friend was delighted as was I.

Good atmosphere in there too, yes it was full and that probably says it all

1 Thank ac4941
Sussex, England
“Delicious food, staff could cheer up though!”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We really enjoyed the meal it was very fresh and tasty, I love eating locally sourced, in season food and everything was very nicely cooked. The staff however were just not that friendly, they weren't rude they could just do with smiling a bit more and being more friendly

Visited March 2014
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“~ Thank You for The Daily Breads ~”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This Super little Restaurant is very close to The Retreat ! Excellent Manager (he really looks after you well). We usually have The Pinot Noir Red (South African I think ?) it's Superb. For 'Picking On' ~ Trainee Chefs at the local College get first hand experience & they Bake different Herb type Breads, that come with Salt Flaked butter. The Soups are really unusual, we tried Lemon Grass Chowder. I like the Small Menu because its all Fresh & Local Varied ingredients. You always get a Good Veggie Option. Well cooked Fresh Fish. Last time I had Calves Liver on a delicious mash. Hubby had Duck with Passionfruit ! & Crispy orangey turnip (I think?). I don't usually get to a Pudding, but the portions are just enough that you savour the taste & want just a little bit more !! The Intense Fruit packed Sorbets are unbelievable. Ummm Better Book A Table well in Advance (That bits difficult) ~ Superb ~

• Visited April 2014