“very enjoyable stay”

Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Bidford-on-Avon, United Kingdom
“very enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We stayed for one night to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

The hotel is in a good location, in close proximity to many bars and restaurants ( the hotel does have it's own) and is only a few mins walk into the city centre. There is a fair bit of free parking.

The decor of the hotel is modern but not minimalistic. The staff which were all friendly, happy, polite and a true asset to the hotel have a casual uniform but it works well with the whole feel of the hotel.

We had a standard room but it didn't feel bottom of the range. It wasn't large but had everything we needed with a very comfy bed. The bathroom was modern but there was a major design flaw here, the bath slopes at both ends so you can't stand directly under the shower head! The towels were nice and big and very fluffy.

We ate dinner in the restaurant and had breakfast in the morning, the food was of a good quality, cooked well and staff were attentive.

We had a really enjoyable stay. I would recommend this hotel and stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2011

This is a beautiful Georgian building with some clever extensions that has been totally renovated to chic London standards. The staff are young and plentiful, even if they seem to still be learning the ropes. Our room was large and beautifully appointed. The restaurant was superb. We had both dinner and breakfast in the hotel. Top marks, and good value.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom

Great bathroom.
Good technology.
Good welcome.

The Bad.

Most of the room 'technology' was explained to us when we were shown the room. 'Most' however meant we were not told where anything was, or that the Ipod Touch provided all the answers. We were told about the lighting and the aircon only. Grr..

I had to phone (guessing that 0 would get me somewhere) to get to room service where I was told the menu was on the Ipod. Nice touch.. What about those you failed to tell and those who can't work one ? Come on guys get down to the printers. :) I lifted, opened and eventually found sockets, cables etc, I even managed to get some music out of the Ipod and suss out the sound source would be the telly (no explanation...).

That night for the first time in many hotel stays we opted for breakfast delivered to the room. Now we both know that Sunday morning brekkie can be an issue even in he best of hotels (both have previous 5* experience) but hell in for a penny. We opted for the Full English, ticked tomatoes and Mushrooms and chose the latest time possible 10-30am as we were out for dinner and a few drinks.

Knock on the door. I was a bit puzzled. Did't have my watch on, felt terrible. Ahh room service with breakfast. it was left and we looked at each other. It was 8am. ********ds ! I lifted a lid to see a Sausage and a poached egg. Another with a rasher of bacon and a poached egg. I found my watch, saw the time and did some breathing exercises. I phoned to inform we had someone else's breakfast. I didn't get the begging, grovelling apology I would have liked. Infact I got very little in the way of an apology.

Back to bed..not much sleep due to the stress of being awoken 2.5 hours early. A knock... Breakfst again.. this time at 10am. Ho hum.. I lift the lid and I have a tomato and a poached egg and a mushroom and a poached egg. Ouch. Phone.

This time apologies and I am told breakfast will be comped ! Not sure how that worked as it was a B&B rate but will follow up with my partner. Tray outside again, back to bed.

Phone rings. This time time a semi telling off from the Room Service lady. :O Feels like this all could be our fault. We not only ticked Full Breakfast on the woefully inadequate brekkie form but chose tomato and mushroom too ! Good heavens. It confused them. No apology.

I told them tray was outside again, I was reminded that the brown toast and apple juice was as we had ordered. We then took bets on whether they would just bring two Full English breakfasts and leave the cold toast and tea. :) I'm not a betting man usually but naturally I was right. By this time I was just fed up, feeling awful, barely bothered with breakfast.

I liked the technology, the informality of the staff (intially..) but they need to tweaks things and if they do they will have a fantastic offer. Aircon was a bit noisy, noise from rooms above and adjacent was very poor. Room service was utterly rubbish. Cocktails the night before and service in the conservatory area of the bar was simply not good enough. Twice our table had to approach the bar to get service (each time a 15 minute wait). A cocktail was returned as it had been mixed woefully. It was only one member of staff but his attitude was poor. The rooms could do with greater scope for brighter lighting.

I'd go back but I would skip room service, sit near the bar and hope that they pay attention to the comments on here as several appear to have raised similar issues.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here over the last bank holiday as we were looking for a luxury hotel within a few hours of London. We booked direct through the hotel on their Leisure Break offer (free breakfast and £40 towards dinner) and chose a Superior Room. Before arriving I emailed asking if the room had a bath. I was advised that all Superior Rooms have baths which was perfect. On arrival there were a few people milling around as there was some internet issue but check in was quick. We were advised that we had been upgraded and the girl took us to our room. On arrival it looked smaller than I thought and it didn't have a bath. I spoke to housekeeping and within about 20 minutes they moved us to another room. 010- now this was an upgrade! Ground floor room, bath in the bedroom, massive tub and just spectacular. I'm still not sure what we were upgraded to initially but found the second room much more agreeable. Breakfast was lovely (second morning I was charged £3 supplement for eggs benedict even though it was cheaper than the english breakfast we had as part of the deal) and dinner was amazing. Portions were just right, staff were attentive but not in your face and everyone seemed to be having a good time.
The location is perfect for the hotel. Would suggest Iphone in room had better quality maps as not much use with driving locations when you are already checked in! Also rang room service twice and no reply- having to go through reception isn't the best way i think.
Highly recommended but save up for a better room!

1 Thank shelby13

3) EXCELLENT service
4) Nice touches; free mini-bar, ipod touch, free WiFi
5) Great spa downstairs and pool nearby
6) Great communal spaces- good reception and library to relax in
7) very child-friendly with cot for free in the room, highchairs and good attitude to having babies in the restaurant.
8) champagne on arrival. Pretty much always works for me.

Cons-
1) Breakfast was slightly disappointing (small portions)

Room Tip: Used Mr and Mrs Smith 3nights for 2 deal