“Friendly, stylish and modern hotel. Ideal for a romantic weekend away!”

The Montpellier Chapter Hotel
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Friendly, stylish and modern hotel. Ideal for a romantic weekend away!”
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Great weekend at the Montpelier Chapter. Staff were friendly and relaxed albeit a little bit disorganised at times. We had a standard double which was small but very cosy, and extremely stylish. Decor was great and the room was very comfortable. I understand the hotel has only been open for 8 months and I think you are doing really well. Will definitely come back on our next trip to Cheltenham. Many thanks.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We had a superior room (226) for two nights. The room was clean, modern and well appointed but suffers from the curse of modern lighting. The air-con was ineffective in cooling to its selected 19C (lowest allowed). All information is by means of an Ipod Touch - not a good idea for my technophobic companion who has reduced vision.
The complimentary minibar has 2 cans of Coke and 1 of Sprite,2 bottles of water and 2 of beer, a small bottle of milk and a bar of chocolate all renewed daily.
Staff all very pleasant but could do with training on attention to detail and general observation of customer needs. Breakfasts were OK but missed being up to expectation.
I have made most of these points to the general manager.
Printed wine lists are available - you don't have to use the Ipad.
Shaving mirrors are supposed to be available from reception.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights to celebrate our 15th anniversary and will certainly be back! Stayed in a Superior room, and whilst relatively small, was very well equipped. Bed and pillows superb, best nights sleep we have ever had in a hotel. If you're into gadgets, great quality finishes and a range of small "extras" this is the place for you. We didn't have any problems with air conditioning, as reported by a few other reviewers, and even needed to phone down to reception to get the central control turned-off, so we could locally switch it off fully at night! We ate in the hotel on the first night and the food quality and presentation was superb. Coctails in the bar are also excellent. Cooked breakfast both days was also reall good and freshly cooked to order, which is nice. Good location for exploring Cheltenham and the Cotswolds - we'll be back!

Room Tip: Superior room was fine for us, but if you like a bit more space you might want to go for a Feature r...
2 Thank bodgerd
East Sussex
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We stayed at the Montpellier Chapter for two nights during the Cheltenham Festival. We loved the different look and feel of the hotel which certainly has a bit of a wow factor but manages to retain the boutique feel we like for a good weekend break. In general we had a great weekend so what follows is really only a few niggling details.

There is no traditional reception which was a first for us but the staff were speedy and very helpful. Its all very 'modern'. We stayed in one of the new rooms which certainly look stunning and spacious. All the kit and furnishings were a high standard and bed was wonderfully comfortable - one of the best hotel beds ever for us. There was a huge TV, comfy chair and all the extras you would expect including great toiletries. Having the bath alongside the bed in the same room took some getting used to and we kept having to refer to the guide to find stuff in the room that we knew must be there somewhere, such as sockets and the kettle. The lighting was very subdued - I would have liked some brighter lighting to put on makeup. Bedside table space was awkward to reach. Good touches like newspapers arriving early in the morning (and The Times was free), and free ipod in the room - but we aren't great with technology so it took us time to get all the bits of the sound system to work together to get music (but there was a good choice available). We had no noise from adjoining rooms and only a bit of noise from trolley suitcases in the corridor.

Breakfast was a combination of buffet and menu but is a feast and felt great value as it was included in our deal price. But service was a bit haphazard with items arriving out of sync (toast but then a long wait for butter) and tea (with the milk to follow). For dinner the food was OK and service a bit slow (we started at 8pm but didn't have our desert until 11). Design and layout of the dining room means noise levels are quite high - but the conservatory was nice for afternoon tea and there were plenty of quieter places for guests to sit and read.

It was our first visit to Cheltenham and we found the staff were very helpful with maps, advice on activities and events and shopping. Checkout on a busy Sunday morning was one of the most efficient I have experienced. And when I left my shopping in the lobby at the end of the weekend they posted it on very promptly at no charge - for which I was very grateful. This hotel is certainly on my list for a return visit.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RandDtravellers
London
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Only stayed for one night on business. The location was great for me as it was in walking distance of a number of restaurants and bars which gave plenty of choice in the evening. The main areas of the hotel were well appointed, and spacious. I had the same issue as the previous reviewer in that the aircon in my room didn’t work (I knew there was something wrong when there was a fan in the room) I asked for them to fix it and they said they would adjust centrally but I had to endure a very hot night. When I mentioned it on checkout there was no apology, they just thanked me for mentioning it and they would get it fixed for the next guest. Service was mixed, gave up waiting in the sitting area near the bar for someone to take my order for drinks but the Breakfast service was very friendly and quick. Only had breakfast in the hotel which was good.

Had the aircon been working i would have rated the hotel higer. On balance I would probably stay again but I will be ringing up in advance to ensure that they allocate me a room with working air Conn !!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We booked a 2 night stay at this hotel for a romantic weekend away without the kids. The stay started off badly when we arrived in the feature room we'd booked to find that the air conditioning had broken and the room was roasting hot. We asked if they could fix it and after an hour in the room and several attempts to fix it remotely we were informed there was nothing that they could offer us except a fan in the room instead! When we said this was not satisfactory we were simply told there were no other feature rooms available and that they couldn't upgrade us as the next level of rooms were booked. Their only solution was to downgrade us to the room class below. When we complained again they miraculously found us another feature room which was nothing like as nice as the first room and which smelled strongly of paint or cleaning chemicals. Despite our obvious disappointments with the whole experience the manager barely apologised and when we asked for some kind of compensation she merely offered us a couple of pre-dinner drinks.

The hotel itself looked nice enough and in different circumstances maybe we'd have had a better experience, although I will never find out as I won't be staying in this hotel chain again.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank glr_10
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Reviewed 27 June 2011

My wife and I have stayed at the Montpelier Chapter twice now and to be honest, if I could shrink it down, put it in my wallet and take it with me it would be the only hotel I would ever stay in anywhere.
Everything about it is amazing, the hard working, relaxed easy going people who work there make it such a pleasure, we were treated as old friends and were remembered from our first vist, we returned on our anniversary and they just all went out of their way to make it special, the restaurant manager ( so sorry I did not ask your name, my bad) with her wonderful demeanour and wine reccomendations at dinner, the bar staff who often seem to read your mind and do not bat an eyelid if you are a bit weird and indecisive, the check in and out folks... all just so lovely and accomodating..

Try and go for a balcony room if possible, a little smaller than the other rooms but you won't be indoors much so enjoy the amazing view of the hills.

They have clearly refined the art of laid back opulence and just know how to make you feel welcome, comfortable and at home.

control c this hotel control v it to everywhere in the world!

Thanks guys, obviously we will be back.

ps, thanks for the chocolates Dominique, you rock!! :)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple