“Not our scene”

Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Lincolnshire
“Not our scene”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

This hotel came highly recommnded to us....but we had problems. First of all its an old house that has been superbly rennovated to the highest degree, no question about that. Whether its my age or what when you walk in the staff are verry friendly, but its a quirky, laptop, paperless check in system, which l just dont like, with your bill being emailed to your office or home....all very casual, and staff in jeans and trainers that sort of thing. But friendly YES.
We booked on line and our room was dreadful, it resembled a converted broom cupboard, no sooner did l complain when we were changed and upgraded without question.
The restaurant was excellent both for dinner and for breakfast, and we had no trouble in parking the car.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank freddy067

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We chose this hotel mainly through the positive reviews here in this website. We weren't disappointed. Room and service were great. The room we stayed in, a "feature room" in the crescent wing, was quiet, had a very nice bath tube, and a much confortable bed. Concerning the service, staff was very polite and helpful, having provided us with all the amenities needed for the two small dogs we brought. My only complain is that the restaurant was not top-notch. We payed a rather high price (100 pounds for two) for a so-so dinner (main course + desert + regular wine).

Our stay was short, only a weekend. Nevertheless, we had time to enjoy the

Room Tip: Ask for the crescent wing. Rooms are more modern and quieter. Besides, consider staying in a "f...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I stayed here for a week while on a short trip to Cheltenham and I can't say I found a single fault. The rooms are clean and spacious, beds are comfortable, excellent selection of wines.

You cannot fault the location for shopping and eating out.

Service was friendly without being false.

The conservatory/orangery is delightful and many an hour slipped by with a glass of wine and a newspaper.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Oxford
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We booked this for two nights as a last minute weekend away and were thrilled with the place. Although the standard rooms are small they are modern and decorated stylishly. The hotel reception is a little strange with no front desk but I guess that is part of the charm. We loved the bar and chill out area. The conservatory is also a nice place to have a cup of tea and watch the world go by. I would highly recommend this hotel as it is individual and chic. It is also in a beatifu
Part of Cheltenham

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed here with our 6 month old on a Saturday night.
I have to say the place is stunning!
We ended up hanging out the all evening (with babs asleep in buggy by our side).
Fantastic restaurant and we even sampled a cocktail which was lovely. (Mine's the Collins)
The only complaint I had was our room was impossibly hot! Apparently another couple moved from the room the night before for the same reason.

• Stayed July 2012
Thurlstone
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We booked a weekend away in the lovely Montpellier district of Cheltenham to visit some friends - We chose this hotel for the excellent location and were really looking forward to staying there. It has a very contemporary decor with some fantastic dining, drinking and general relaxing areas. Staff all dressed in a modern looking uniform (all wearing converse pumps) gave the place a distinct, smart yet informal feel.
Breakfast was delicious! Best eggs benedict i have ever eaten! Plenty of choice too. Good choice of well mixed cocktails and very friendly, helpful staff. Room were a decent size, looked good and iPod touch in room was a great. Fantastic rainshower.
In fact everything was good until it came to sleeping! The aircon in our room was absolutely useless. Minimum setting of 19C with max fan speed barely registed in a room that was warm and humid. As we had got back to the room late in the evening we just put up with it but both of us slept terribly - I even took a shower at 5am just to cool down a little.
Naturally, I was up at 7am to complain and we were offered a different room which we changed to after breakfast. This room was better (as it was in a more shaded area but by the evening was stilll rather stuffy despite the aircon being on all day! Luckily the room had a stand-alone fan unit or i think another restless night would have been on the cards.

I would have happily given this place 5 stars, but after all, you go to a hotel for a decent nights sleep and unless you are a reptile or a tomato plant I cannot imagine anyone being comfortable with the rooms temperature. I know it was a warm weekend (outside was 28C during the day), but I would expect much more in terms of in-room climate from even a budget hotel hence only 3 stars :(

In fact as we checked out I heard another guy complaining his room was too hot so it wasn`t just me.... Come on Montpellier Chapter, get better aircon in the rooms! The foyer was lovely and fresh but not so either bedroom we were in. Such a shame :(

4 Thank JasperSmudge
warwickshire
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I booked this hotel last minute. Aim was to have a child free weekend so my husband and I could celebrate our anniversary. We were greeted by a very helpful lady who showed us a superior room and 2 feature rooms one of which was open plan with the bath and shower next to the bed. A beautiful room but we preferred something a little more cosy and intimate so opted for the superior room. We had 2 very comfortable nights sleep and the room had everything you needed. One tiny criticism was that the mini bar was not cold at all it and 1 day old fresh milk went off so I think this needs addressing. Also lovely touch to offer complimentary drinks but only 2 beers a day and the rest soft drinks perhaps a small bottle of wine for the ladies would have been a nice touch.
Breakfast was lovely. The eggs Benedict cooked to perfection. We did not eat in the restaurant at night as we wanted to explore a little but on the 1st night we had a bar meal at 10.30pm a stone baked fresh pizza and burger which were very nice and still well presented even at that time of night when the chef was just about to close the kitchen.
The free wifi is a plus point and the free parking though beware if there is a function on you may struggle to get a space and you have to pay on the road.
My husband and I had a back shoulder and neck massage for 30 mins which was lovely and I had a facial which was very nice. The REN products they use and also have in the bedrooms are really nice.
My husband was disappointed to find that the bar did not stock southern comfort so we went out to the local bars and drank there instead, shame for the hotel that they lost our custom.
Area where the hotel is situated is very upmarket and great for shops, bars and restaurants.

The local daffodil restaurant we ate in was lovely in a converted cinema they made a fuss of us as it was our anniversary and gave us each a free glass of bubbly.

The hotel ( not that they should do of course) didn't do anything as a special simple treat to acknowledge it was our anniversary which I can only compare with previous hotels I have stayed in which have .... A glass of sparkling wine etc. That said we enjoyed our stay in the hotel and would definitely return!

Room Tip: Standard rooms are smaller from what we were told so I would suggest for 2 people minimum go for a s...