“Service does not live up to the funky appearance”

and 1 more site!
The Montpellier Chapter Hotel
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reading, United Kingdom
“Service does not live up to the funky appearance”
Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

The ultra modern appearance of this hotel is a matter of taste, but the service for our business meeting was repeatedly late and slow. The meeting room, billed on the trip advisor description as private dining was actually an airless below ground room with no natural light. They would appear to have spent more on iPads for the wine list than on training the staff. That said the room was comfortable, I just felt that a better all round experience will be available elsewhere for the same or less money.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
worthing, sussex uk
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Stayed overnight with my wife and overall enjoyed the experience. The room (115) was at the front of the hotel in the old refurbished part and was of a good size and generally good value for money. I particularly liked the i pod with all the hotel and area details on it and also the complimentary mini bar was a good touch. I'm not sure how well the feature bath in the middle of the room works but its certainly unusual. The bed was also really comfortable so no complaints there either. On the negative side the light in the room and the hotel in general is terrible and far too dim for me. My wife however thought it was modern and stylish and was happy so its individual preference i guess. I do however like to see what i'm doing when i shave and also a bit more light to adjust the room controls would have been good;
Breakfast was excellent and really good quality with local ingedients, bar service good and staff polite and helpful.
Would stay at the chapter house again in the future but maybe in another style of room.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Stayed at the montpellier chapter this month and couldnt of had a better evening. My friends and I enjoyed cocktails in the bar before our fabulous dinner in the restaurant. Great service, great wine and a room that I thoroughly enjoyed. My feature bath and rain forest shower topped off our perfect stay.

Room Tip: Loved my cresent feature suite
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 00-dinkytraveler
South Cerney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Beautiful property and location. Very professional staff and lunchtime meals were good but expensive - try the Bramble Hedgerow Mocktail - worth the visit alone. Very pleasant Conservatory for taking a pre lunch drink. Now making the mocktail at home!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Ahoydickie
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2013 via mobile

Many good things about the hotel, but too many negatives happened over my 3 day stay.

Worst thing was that my hot shower went cold after 5 minutes at 705 AM. Unacceptable that any hotel should not have enough hot water for showers at peak time on a weekday. The apology I received when I mentioned it was that they would move me the next day if the problem repeated itself, which is basically saying we'll do nothing really unless you are inconvenienced a second time. One colleague mentioned he had the same issue that day.

There was also an issue with my bathroom fan coming on and off every 10 to 20 seconds. A staff member came to my room and said they would have maintenance in the next day. The problem was manageable as long as the bathroom lights were out and the door was closed, but for some strange reason as soon as you opened the door or turned on the bathroom lights, it started again. The next day it seemed at first like it was fixed, as the bathroom door was open and the fan was silent when I got back in the evening, but the same thing started up again. I just slept with the bathroom door closed.

The last issue was the breakfast service. Generally OK, but more than once over three days at least one of the 5 of us got something incomplete or just wrong or done wrong. For example, on day two I ordered eggs Benedict and the yolk of one was cooked solid. I left it to show the waitress, but either she didn't realize that yolks are supposed to run in eggs Benedict, or she didn't care, as there was no acknowledgement of anything wrong when I pointed it out.

As for good things, the location can't be beat and the decor was good. As well, the free minibar was a nice touch, and some of the staff was friendly and pleasant.

This could be a really great place, but the staff needs more/better training (one colleague commented that they seemed to hired for their looks rather than their abilities), and some basic maintenance issues need to be addressed.

Too bad!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Cashorcredit
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Stayed in room 8 on Saturday 12 th January. Although the room was a bit weird as the bath was in the centre of room & not a feature bath ( eg roll top or brass slipper ) everything else was really lovely. The free mini bar had proper milk/ chocolate & lager & if I had been staying there for work I would have been extra pleased.
I thought the staff were super professional & worked very hard to make it seamless .
Breakfast was stunning & a steal at just under £10.
it's a very well designed Hotel....it makes the best of the Architecture but is buzzy & modern.
The location is great & the parking underground is ideal.
Today I received a very stylish letter asking for my mailing details so that I can receive offers on other Chapter hotels.
Ordinarily I don't like chains but I would happily stay at a Chapter Hotel again
My only minute complaints would be that the coffee machine could have had slightly better instructions as I'm totally Luddite re new machines.
9.89 out of 10

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2013

My friends and I dined and stayed at the hotel through recommendation. The food, service and ambience in the restaurant was outstanding. The bedrooms are superbly appointed with modern technology and even a complimentary minibar.
We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay the location of the hotel is perfect, all the staff where cheerful, friendly and helpful.
We also treated ourselves to a treatment in the spa, best facial I have ever had definitely great value.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends