The Montpellier Chapter Hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Cheltenham
See available hotels
  • Restaurant
No 131(Cheltenham)
  • Breakfast included
The George Hotel(Cheltenham)
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Quite gimmicky and trendy boutique style hotel. Old building but nicely done out and imaginitely extended with very attractive rooms. Slightly unconventional as you walk in. No reception. Just staff walking around with laptops. Rooms are very nice. Lovely bathrooms. Krupps coffee machine in the room. Little fridge with milk, beer water and fizzy pop. Service needs a bit of attention. No one around to greet you as you enter restaurant. No obvious entrance to restaurant. Staff are mainly Polish. They are very pleasant and helpful but could do with a bit of training. £160 per night for B & B is not cheap. Overall not bad at all but with a bit of attention to detail, this could be an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We took a family table and a couple of rooms at the Montpellier Chapter for a family event. As there were 7/8 adults and 4/5 kids we were required to order in advance from a set menu which we did. The bar/lounge area is very nice and a popular venue for drinks and the other customers were friendly people who made room for us. However from the start it was fairly obvious that the staff didn't quite know what they were doing. We'd pre-ordered drinks and the waiter then came and took another order, much confusion. We were rushed to go in to eat and the menu fixe was pretty poor. The traditional roast-style dishes were what I'd call pub/school standard and served with no vegetables. An older member of the party asked for some vegetables to go with the meat and gravy and was told pretty abruptly that this wasn't going to happen. I hover between describing the waiter as 'abrupt' or just plain damned rude, but let's be charitable. We enquired whether the waiter was 'serious' and a dish of nice vegtables then turned up some while later. A paupiette of seabass with shellfish stuffing was heavy and characterless and we sneaked envious looks at the neighbouring diners who were ordering a la carte. To be fair, the a la carte food looked considerably better than the menu fixe but the menu fixe wasn't the only culinary disaster. The breakfast chef couldn't make an omlette. It went back three times and was hopeless. It came as a slab of hard yellow. You do not need to be Michel Roux to make an omlette.The wine list is fairly overpriced and the fact that it comes on a trendy iPad by someone wearing US sneakers doesn't obscure that fact. The building is a glorious Cheltenham regency wedding cake and there is a lovely conservatory overlooking a magnificent neo-classical terrace of town houses. So they are doing some things right but the staff need a real big infusion of London-style efficiency. There are hotels here in the Cotswolds that really get the service right - for example Cowley Manor, just down the road from Cheltenham. So for the time bing my suggestion is to stop off for a drink but there are plenty of better places to eat.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank RhodriMawr
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I took a small group of senior business people for a meeting, dinner and overnight stay. They are a discerning bunch so I am always concerned about whether a venue is going to please. They were absolutely bowled over by the Montpellier. One said that he wanted me to organise a meeting there at least once a year. The décor is relaxed and stylish. There is the best collection of books in the lounge - I could stay there forever reading them. We had a working buffet lunch which was ample and delicious. Dinner in the evening was very good. But the best thing about the hotel is the staff who are ALL attentive, friendly but professional. The beds are very, very comfortable and I loved having hotel info on an iphone.

Room Tip: Personally, I would choose Superior and above as the standard rooms are a little on the tight size - which is what it says on their website.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2013

A truley superb hotel and we know, having stayed in hundreds of top class ones throughout the world. The check in was very friendly and efficient and the room a perfect love nest. The dry martinis from the bar were great: almost as good as I make myself! Definitely going back. Decor in the public areas is really lovely.

Room Tip: Just ask reception staff
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This is a wonderful hotel. Fantastic location, stunning building, wonderful decor, amazing rooms, good restaurant and pretty good service too. We were having a terrible time at a nearby hotel (that had had amazing reviews in TRipAdvisor) and I did some research and thought we would try this place. I have to say the reviews I read of the Montpellier Chapter were mixed. Having now stayed there, I cannot understand why they were not all glowing. So, details: just an amazing place to walk into; all wood floors and tasteful decor. A library with every new book you could want to read; relaxing tables to sit and have a drink. Utter bliss (though the bar snacks were not great - but hey, I'm picky!). Anyway, the rooms are very Scandiwegian. Wall-to-wall windows, dark wood furniture, great bed and bedding, Nespresso coffee machine in the room, rainforest shower, in-room iPod controller for the tech lovers, and my partner commented on the quality of the shampoos n the bathroom. She was amazed to find them in a hotel, but I cant recall the name. Anyway, bottom line, it was great. Dinner in the restaurant was very good. Really delicious food, clever menu, though the service in the restaurant was not as good as in the hotel (Not sure what it was, but somehow all the male staff seemed slightly surly, but the female staff were so friendly). Anyway, overall it was fabulous, and I would heartily recommend it to you.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple