“Whistling and singing chef drove us mad!! ” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Montpellier Chapter Hotel

The Montpellier Chapter Hotel
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
“Whistling and singing chef drove us mad!! ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights in February. We really enjoyed the location and services of this hotel. Food was plentiful and of good quality and service was attentive and efficient.
But unfortunately both our breakfasts on both days were ruined by a chef singing and whistling constantly through our 45 minutes breakfast. Michael buble he definitely wasn't.
I found this to be very annoying and completely lowers the standard of the establishment.
I asked a waitress if she would ask the offending chef to stop but apparently he always does it and he doesn't listen to anyone!
Really ruined an excellent stay for us

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Visited this hotel with a group of good friends for a private Christmas function. The food and service were very good and enjoyed by all until we got the bill....... The drinks bill was well in excess of £400 for 12 people the majority of whom had a modest amount to drink before and during the meal. The wine was not left on the table at any point which seemed a little strange. When challenged and without to much resistance £120 was immediately removed from the bill. The next day we discovered another £50 of extras that had apparently also found their way onto our bill. The manager promised to call back to resolve this issue, needless to say we are still waiting.…...Very poor indeed.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank robolt
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I had a back, neck and shoulder massage at the Spa. I was very impressed with the spa itself - clean and peaceful with friendly staff who never made me feel rushed.
My therapist was lovely and did a fantastic massage. I get quite a lot of tension in my shoulders so I need a firm massage, but I don't like it too firm so she adjusted the pressure in just the right places and my back felt loads better for days afterwards.
I am a massage therapist myself and have been to many spas before, as well as working in a few, and I was very impressed with the spa here in terms of appearance, service, and treatments available.
I will certainly be back for more.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Gemma T
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

What a wonderful hotel! My husband and I stayed here for an impromptu night away and booked a deluxe suite a few days before staying there. We were welcomed at reception by a delightful girl called Darcy who invited us to take a seat on one of the many comfy sofas while she processed our booking. We were duly informed that we had been upgraded to a feature room.

We stayed in room 003 and were thrilled to find a beautiful room with high ceilings which had some of its original features (beautiful bay window) while also being modern and stylish. The bed was absolutely huge and extremely comfortable with quality linen and plush pillows. We were thrilled with the complimentary minibar, the nespresso machine, the luxurious Ren products and the general comfort and understated opulence of the place. The staff were kind and accommodating and eager to please.

The breakfast was wonderful with an expansive choice of both continental and cooked options and the dining room was relaxed and leisurely so we enjoyed a lengthy breakfast without feeling at all rushed. The coffee was good and tea a triumph - how lovely to have real strong tea made with tea leaves!

My husband and I had a lovely time here and we intend to come back. The hotel is in an amazing location, the rooms are so comfortable, the staff ever so friendly and above all we felt very welcome in the hotel - all those little extras make a guest feel special and appreciated and we liked that. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe room when booking.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca C
Wimborne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

A trip booked for 3 nights for my partner and I to relax and unwind. The hotel is well located for getting into Cheltenham, in fact, we had one night at the theatre and were able to walk there. On arrival, we were given a complimentary upgrade but this just meant we didn't have a separate bathroom but instead the bath and shower in the bedroom - not at all ideal. The room facilities were good, the staff helpful. My but was a big but for us. On all three evenings, either before we went to the theatre or before or after we ate in the hotel, we were totally unable to use either the bar or the lounge area as they were always full to the gills. Given that the hotel has 61 rooms these facilities are quite limited, add to this the large numbers of non residents (a party of 50 having breakfast on the Saturday morning and at least 3 large birthday parties in the evening) who are all using these facilities made it just impossible for us to 'get a look in'. I would have expected a hotel to be able to provide separate rooms for parties of this size, not let them use facilities which have been paid for and expected by those who are staying at the hotel. On the Saturday morning the breakfast party were everywhere, in the reception area, outside smoking by the 'no smoking sign' and in the lounge - it felt like a coach party had just arrived, not at all the atmosphere we had expected.
When I gave this as feedback to the hotel about not being able to use the communal areas at any point during our stay I was told it was due to it being a race weekend in Cheltenham - interestingly we didn't have any problems anywhere else in Cheltenham, in fact we went to 2 different places to look and make enquires for a table to eat on the Saturday and both had availability and, at the time of visiting were both quite and relaxed. It felt like they were saying 'what do you expect if you come to us on a race weekend?' - my expectation is for hotel facilities that are offered to be available to residents rather than non residents whenever I visit, or, at the very least, at some point during my stay!

I

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lesley r
west yorks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Heard all about this hotel and was looking forward to staying . Quirky reception but very efficient and quickly checked in . Disappointed in the room very small with one small slim window in which scaffolding was up against it outside so made it very dark . Television too low on the wall facing the bed ( in which only one person could pass at a time !!)so was in the way really !! Should of requested a change of room really but was there with friends so didn't want to make a fuss!! Breakfast very good on both mornings , bar in the evening lively and staff very attentive . Food in the restaurant on an evening excellent and would recommend . Word of warning -check the size of the room you are booking !!!!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank rosieWestYorks
Cheltenham, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

My husband and I stayed over for a night to enjoy the theatre, a nice meal and a good hotel and we were not disappointed. This beautiful Georgian villa was transformed a few years ago and fully refurbished. It has kept many of the old features but has been completely modernised without losing the atmosphere.
The staff were welcoming from the moment we arrived and throughout our stay were tip top.The public rooms are elegant and cosy and the conservatory lit by candles at night was a lovely place for a pre dinner drink.
The bedroom was very modern in design and lacked nothing except a magnifying mirror in the bathroom which for any lady who wears reading glasses will know it is impossible to get your make up on without one!
The dinner was very nice, we did have to wait quite a long time for the main course which was not so good, but the food was good when it came.
I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a quality experience in such a beautiful location as Cheltenham.

Room Tip: All rooms are probably good, some rooms are in the new annex so will not have the character of the o...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple