“Charming Hotel, Superb Service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Montpellier Chapter Hotel

The Montpellier Chapter Hotel
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Lake Stevens, Washington
“Charming Hotel, Superb Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

The hotel is gorgeous, and each staff member is so polite and cheerful, professional and helpful. My room was very comfortable, and the restaurant was very good and consistent. During our last several days there, my girlfriend and I became ill and relied upon the staff for extra help. The staff went far above and beyond for us, even to handle special food requests, and help us get medicine from the local pharmacy, which made us feel almost like we were home. And that is what the Chapter felt like for us - Our home away from home.
Cheltenham and the Montpellier Chapter will always have a special place in our hearts, and we intend on returning in the near future. We have already raved about the hotel to our friends!

The only areas for improvement I would recommend are as follows:
Parking – I realize there is little that can be done since the council regulates parking.
Fitness Center. Small & dimly lit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Dropped in for a drink with a couple of friends and was made to feel uncomfortable. No local beers on offer, rather snooty staff. I don't mind paying over the odds for a drink or two but on this occasion felt as if I was being taken for a bit of a mug, which I am not. Won't be Back for a while.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank blimeyeric
Argyll and Bute, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Looking forward to staying here after looking at the pictures on the web. Room was very very small to say the least. Would have loved to explore the hotel in the evenings but hen nights took it over on the Friday and Saturday and when we asked for a table on the terrace for lunch on the Saturday we were told that it might be possible but we would just have to turn up and see. As it was a beautiful day we found a table outside in town and cancelled our reservation at the hotel. In the end we spent nothing in the hotel apart for our room rate, and next time we will check out HdV or No.131. It was a shame no-one thought to show us the hotel and its facilities or even explain them to us, it was no surprise that apart for the hen night the public rooms were empty all weekend. Proof that the rooms were too small was when they turned down the beds and left the blanket folded up in a corner of the room!

Room Tip: Don't go for the smallest room category
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steviem71
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I have eaten at The Montpellier Chapter Hotel a few times and it has always been pretty good. One time we were given the children's dessert menu and were quite happy to order a banana split, but were told that we couldn't have it as the waitress had given us the wrong menu and the children's desserts were free. We said that was what we wanted and understood they would charge us - they charged us £5 each, for a children's dessert - a bit of a rip-off. My Mother and I had afternoon tea there recently and it was very nice, although I would have preferred more sandwiches and less cakes, but it was all very fresh and tasty. Mum's tea was cold but they changed it straight away. I had a second pot of tea which they charged me £3.50 for - I thought that was a bit tight when you're paying £23.50 (£22 offer on until June) for tea for two. We have afternoon tea in various places throughout the year and have never been charged for extra tea. The restaurant really echo's and can be noisy when busy. It is a nice place to eat on the odd occasion. The staff were all very helpful and pleasant. I live in Cheltenham and so have never stayed at the hotel - I tried to book our private dining work Christmas party there last year and book 7 bedrooms but they never got back to me to discuss it, I guess they don't need to find the business. I feel reluctant to try and book again as, obviously, when organising an event you need to feel you can rely the event manager. I think as a hotel for the weekend or dinner out it is fine, but a little overpriced.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Morwenna40
Bath
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Gorgeous building, with luxurious rooms and fittings. This is the perfect place to come with a partner to visit cheltenham for the weekend. It provides access to the facilities at the nearby ladies college and the food both breakfast and dinner are superb (if very rich).
The only downside is the relatively poor service for business customers during the week, as they seem unable to process anything quickly, including room service or check-in/out which can be really frustrating when you're in a rush. However if you're here to relax and are happy to take your time then this place is perfect.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Nottingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

An odd hotel this, a grand building but minimalist inside. Most rooms are too small, based on feedback from six other couples in our group. The turn-down service failed to happen on the second night of our stay.
Staff generally helpful, but the 'relaxed uniform' just made them look scruffy. Food and service at our private dinner was average, and my heart sank when they delivered very ordinary bread rolls ahead of the dinner service. Waitresses filling wine glasses almost to the brim failed to impress.
Bar and restaurant wine pricing is excessive. £6.50 for a very average bottled 'local' beer and £25+ for wines that can be sourced for about £8 at retail (£18 in nearby wine bar).
Although not personally tested afternoon teas seemed to be a big hit, but overall I think this hotel tends towards pretentiousness and is certainly overpriced.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Colin S
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I went to the spa and for afternoon tea with a group of friends. The Hotel itself is lovely and modern, spa treatments and spa itself were great and the afternoon tea was delicious! Such good value for money. I have recommended it to all my friends.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends