“Pretentious Curate's Egg”

Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Wales
“Pretentious Curate's Egg”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This hotel did it's best to make us dislike it ! First, the positives : good location, clean, spacious room (we paid extra for a superior), complimentary "very" mini bar, comfortable bed, bathrobes, efficiently organised room, nice period building.
Bad : no information offered either at "minimalist" check-in or in room. The first thing I do when I arrive at any hotel is to check what's what in the guide - at the end of the day, I want to know what I'm paying for. There is no such thing here, which might be trendy but really not helpful - especially as the young lady at reception didn't mention even the basics such as when breakfast would be served ; in fact she barely spoke to us. The iPod didn't work (which seems parr for the course), the room was stiflingly hot on what was apparently the coldest day of the summer ( again, a recurring theme), we had to check tripadvisor to realize that what was in the fridge was actually free (déjà vu). Oh, and make sure you check the bar prices before you order. My single measure G&T cost £9 !
But worst of all was being handed a letter in the evening telling us that as the hotel was fully booked, if we didn't come down to breakfast by 9am we should expect to have a bit of a wait ! This really got my goat. At the end of the day, it's a hotel (I.e. Their whole purpose is to provide bed and breakfast). If they're busy and fully booked then perhaps they should get more staff on site, heaven knows they should be able to afford it at the prices they charge.
It also strikes me that other reviewers have raised the same issues over and over but the hotel make no attempt to rectify their customers' concerns.
This really could be a great hotel, physically it has everything going for it, but it seems to be trying too hard to be "cool" at its own expense.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a superior
4 Thank CastellNedd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

After a fantastic stay in The Magdalen Chapter in Exeter my husband booked for us to stay at The Montpellier Chapter as a birthday treat. We opted for the dinner, bed and breakfast package and upgraded to a feature room for the price of £200. On arrival we were greeted at reception by a male staff member who looked like he had slept in his suit! An unenthusiastic greeting later, he proceeded to tell us our room number and then pointed out the dining room where breakfast was served. I checked we were expected for dinner and he then checked our reservation properly and confirmed we were.....not a good first impression and showed a lack of care...this was totally opposite to the attentive greeting we experienced in Exeter. We went up to our feature room and I felt disappointed.....whilst the room was a good size and the bath was lovely the decor was very average for a feature room and not a spectacular to our room in Exeter. The bed however was amazingly comfy and had gorgeous Egyptian cotton sheets on it. We ventured down for a drink before dinner and ordered a strawberry Bellini and a lime daiquiri.....there was no strawberry taste in my Bellini but the daiquiri was good. We asked for the dinner menu and were given the A La Carte menu... I thought this was strange but the menu looked of a good standard....my husband then checked with reception if this was the right menu ....it was not! We were then given the lunch/supper 3 course menu.....it was basic/uninspiring and I was really disappointed having seen the A La Carte menu and once again did not compare to the same menu/deal we had at Exeter. I questioned the menu with a waiter (Oscar) and explained we did not the the set menu was up to scratch...he offered for us to eat from the A La Carte menu and he would take the price of the 3 course set menu off the bill....£16.50 each.....not really enough to have a good dinner but we agreed as we wanted to have a nice meal....it was a shame that it meant our bill rose by £40 that we were not expecting. We both had the chicken liver parfait to start which was tasty and then I had the duck breast and my husband the pork, my husband had the hazelnut roll for desert which was gorgeous....in fairness the food and ingredients were of a high standard, well cooked and we had a lovely meal. We followed this with a liqueur coffee out on the terrace which was nice. When we returned to our room it was very hot and despite turning the temperature down to the minimum, having the fan on and opening the window the room remained uncomfortably hot all night, the shower door was horrendously squeaky and there was an unpleasant drain smell coming up through the sink plug hole. I had the same problem with plugs as mentioned in other reviews. We were in room 108 and the mirror over the dressing table did not have a plug on the wall instead you had to clamber under the dressing table. The other noticeable difference is that you get an I pad in Exeter but it was an iPod in our room. The mini bar is a nice touch and the biscuits were good. But for the overall price of the room there were some obvious problems which I did not think were acceptable for a 4 star hotel and they should have been picked up when the room was being cleaned. When we went down for breakfast in the morning we were seated and told our order would be taken shortly....the same waitress chatted to her friend, strolled around and after 10 minutes my husband had to ask if we could order....she took our hot drinks/toast order and before we could order our cooked breakfast she was gone! Chatted to her friend a bit more and then finally came back and took our order. I then noticed there was a short black hair on my side plate- gross! Or breakfast came and once again there were good quality ingredients but my scrambled egg was dry and overlooked in places like it had caught on the pan. Luckily Oscar the helpful waiter from the night before was also at breakfast so I asked him if he could change the eggs for whatever was ready and he did this swiftly and in a professional manner....the other staff could learn from his example. I never understand why people get jobs in hospitality if they don't want to serve people or be friendly? We returned to our room and gathered our bags to check out.....when I got to exception I was greeted by a smiling female receptionist and was asked how my stay was....I politely told her the list of things that had made it disappointing but also have the positive feedback about the food and Oscar to try and be balanced.....I might as well have not bothered. Although she said she would get the maintenance person to check the room there was no offer to reduce the bill or take our extra food charge off and I didn't ask for anything to be taken off the bill either but if I am honest I paid it begrudgingly but at that stage could not be bothered with an argument after a mediocre stay. There is no point asking for feedback if they are not going to act on it. I will not be returning to this hotel and I would stay away if you have high expectations.....I will be going back to the Magdalen Chapter in Exeter.....better hotel, better decor, better staff, better food and overly better blue for money.

Room Tip: Don't stay here....got to the sister hotel the Magdalen Chapter in Exeter!
1 Thank Victoria E
Thatcham
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We had a fantastic time, the welcome was friendly, the bedroom and bathroom clean and very well appointed.

The restaurant was amazing and breakfast in the room great too.

The parking is limited but we got a space no problem.

If I had to criticise anything it would be the size of the bathroom as it was a little cramped considering it was an upgraded room.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Had a great overnight stay here with our 2 children in a 'feature' room. I'm not sure I'd really describe it as a feature room but it was a good size with super comfortable beds and excellent water pressure in the shower. There is a free mini-bar - limited contents but its something you see very rarely in hotels so I think its a really nice touch to have a few beers/cokes/waters on offer for free. Rooms have air conditioning which was blissfully quiet so it was fine to keep it on at night without having it interrupt sleep.

On first glance, it doesn't look like the type of hotel which would be child friendly as the downstairs areas all seem quite stylish. However, I was impressed that there was no extra charge for 2 extra beds in our room and kids food in the restaurant was free (for under 5s), which included 3 courses from a decent selection. The staff were all very charming and nice towards my children. Best of all, our baby monitor worked perfectly in the restaurant (from a second floor bedroom) so we were able to have an adult dinner in the evening on our own (very good other than the bread rolls which were clearly from frozen and not very nice). Good cocktails in the bar too although the service seemed a bit chaotic in there (although it was a Friday night).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Shropshire
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

My partner booked this hotel as a half way stop over from visiting relatives. He booked it the day before and we were upgraded to a deluxe room. The hotel is in a nice location with bars and restaurants within walking distance and free parking. The hotel itself is lovely inside with a contemporary feel. Our room was huge, with the biggest bed we've seen and the most comfortable pillows ever. We had an iPod which was a nice touch with the menu on, billing details and information on the local area. There was a nice Nespresso machine and a free mini bar. We dined out at a local Indian but breakfast was nice and A La Carte. The hotel was really relaxing and it was lovely to see families in the bar playing board games together. I cannot believe anyone could find fault with this hotel as it is a true 4 star and the staff were attentive and courteous. We feel refreshed from our visit and would definitely visit again.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank vikkiaa
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

If I could give 3 and a half points I would because our stay was just inbetween average and very good. I think with a bit more attention to detail it could be really good. My partner and I stayed at The Montpellier Chapter on Sunday 27th July, we love the venue having dined in the Restaurant and bar and had drinks several times before in the lovely conservatory and library come drawing room area, but never stayed overnight. We were recently engaged and decided to escape for a long weekend and check out the Chapter properly. I booked a room on booking.com and the afterwards when I went on to the actual hotel website I could see Sunday / Monday deals that included dining and spa treatment discounts. I called the hotel to see if we could upgrade but was told that there were no packages available, however the girl on the phone did say should would see if we could have our room upgraded complimentary, which was really great.
I think if you are not familiar with the laid back, modern approach of this hotel then a quick guide to facilities and where you can find things in the room would be beneficial, they also have a very relaxed Reception Area which is a laptop on a piece of furniture, which is theory is quite cool, but if you are checking in gives you no privacy for asking questions giving feedback, also if the room is not quite ready or anything has to be checked with anothewr member of staff, you are left sort of standing in the middle of a big lobby, or if other people are waiting, you are all sort of standing around.
We were upgraded to a Superior Room which was facing the courtyard area and the bedroom has a large amount of glass windows the full width of the room, and the room was not overly big in size. The room as I found out after my stay has 'climate control' not air conditioning which in the delightful summer we've been having does not cool the room down, in fact it was quite warm, especially over night.
The nice little touches that you read about on the website such as iPod fitted in the room, complimentary mini bar, treats, nespresso machine, Renn products all sound lovely, howvever our iPod sound didn't work we couldnt hook it up to the TV channel, we did call someone who came up but they said instantly it didn't work and they could bring up a docking station, which seemed a bit excessive as all of the equipment was there, but not working. The mini bar comprised of 2 room temperature bottles of Carlsberg, a can of Coke and a bottle of water, which I don't think really qualifies for mini bar and we would have loved a nice cold glass of wine or G&T and Beer before we went out. I couldn't really find any guide to the hotel or facilities.
I found a hairdryer but couldn't see where I was supposed to plug it in near a mirror. Early the next morning a maid knocked and then walked in to the room at about 8.20am and again at about 9.20am. Checkout is not until 11.00am
So for me and my other half our experience was not pleasureable as we had wished or expected. NOW saying all of this the staff did try to rectify some things, when we mentioned about the mini bar as we were on our way out in the evening, the guy did offer us a drink at the bar, but we had dinner reservations so had to get on our way.
I did feed back on the Sunday and on the Monday when we checked out and was told that the manager would be in touch. I have since corresponded with the Manager Rachael bird and been thanked for my feedback and also told that in the dresser in the room, if you open the top of it there is a mirror and plug for the hair dryer, she mentioned abut the Climate control (although i had turned it down to as cool as it would go). I was also told that my other comments would be taken on board and looked at and offered an upgrade if I return in the future, which is nice.
I think the hotel has a great position in the town, right in the Montpellier district and the interior design, restaurant and bar areas are great.
I just think it could do with paying a bit more attention to the detail it's offering and explaining to guests what's on offer in their room and the facilities available.
Will definitely give it another try.

1 Thank CurleyGirl70
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We came to stay for a long weekend. Having stayed at their sister hotel in Exeter, I was hoping for the same quality of stay. I loved this hotel. It's location is perfect, so quick and easy to access the centre of Cheltenham. The actual building is beautiful, and all the artwork gives it an contemporary feel. The staff are young and possibly need a bit more experience, but I can't complain as they were helpful and always tried their best. The only 'bad' thing was the fridge in the room. It actually is not a fridge, only a place to keep things cooler rather than cold. Unfortunately the fresh milk in there just went off each day and we were pouring lumps into our tea. The superior double room was lovely, especially the bathroom. We ate at the hotel too, and we couldn't fault it. One word of warning, check your bill when you leave! I glanced down at ours only to find someone had put their meals, drinks etc...onto our room bill. The staff quickly sorted this out. We enjoyed our stay, and would love to come back!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple