All reviews quiet square town centre teddy bear top floor no lift steep steps lovely hotel happily stay here again high ceilings superior room car park gave us a map large room full english breakfast was excellent porridge warm welcome
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Recently stayed 3 nights at the Clarence, and my fiancee and I were impressed with simply everything: the massive and luxurious Wellesley Room room on the ground floor, the ultra-personalized customer service from Chris and Scott, and the bar/restaurant. This was the best place we stayed in UK/France during our 3 week visit (that included stays in 8 other hotels). Next time we're in Cheltenham, THIS is the ONLY place we will stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We stayed for the weekend, with a baby, in room 16. The hotel is very close to the centre of town (5min walk) in a very quiet peaceful and pretty square. There is plenty of parking. All the staff, and especially the owner, are absolutely delightful and nothing was too much trouble. They were extremely dedicated, professional, friendly and provided excellent customer service.The room was truly amazing. Huge and overlooking the square and gardens, beautiful old furniture, luscious furnishings, extremely comfy king-size (or bigger!) bed, 2 sofas, large flat-screen TV and wonderful large and newly refurbished bathroom. The room was ultra clean and quite frankly I could live in it quite happily for the rest of my life! I was extremely sad to have to go home. We also ate in the restaurant 2 nights running. Again, the customer care was exceptional, a highchair was provided and the food was lovely. Breakfast was equally great. The restaurant and bar are both very pleasant areas in the hotel. All in all, amazing value for money (especially compared to most other hotels in Cheltenham) and a wonderful hotel. Each room also had a teddy bear 'room guard' to welcome you! We have stayed in 5* hotels all around the world and in the UK and this is up there with the best on the comfort and customer service front - especially if you get room 16 or 22. We used to stay in the George and at the Queens in Cheltenham but now we will stay nowhere else but Clarence Court ever again we have been so impressed. PLEASE ignore all bad reviews. They have to be false, made up or written before the current owner took over.

Room Tip: Rooms 16 and 22 are splendid and must be the best?! I can't believe there can be any rooms better than these! Room 18 is a smaller version which my mother stayed in but also lovely, just much smaller.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Stayed at the Clarence Court Hotel for 2 nights with my mum in a twin room. When we checked in we were directed to room 20 on the top floor which was up 4 flights of stairs - There is no lift but the website had already made me aware of that. Unfortunately I am 5 months pregnant and my mum is 63 so the stairs were a challenge. When we entered the room we were hugely dissapointed as the room although spacious was old, tired and grubby and not at all representative of what we had seen on their website. There were marks all down the walls and the windows were filthy. My mum complained to reception and after a short wait we were allocated room 7 instead on the ground floor. This was a much better room with attractive co-ordinating decoration and although much smaller suited us perfectly. Reception were very apologetic and accomodating. The single beds are pretty narrow however and we were too warm under the down duvets on both nights.
It seems thats some rooms have been updated but not all and another rm on the ground fl was in the process of being decorated while we were there.

We ate in the hotel that night and the food was most impressive and freshly cooked. Breakfast was also very generous and tasty, my mum enjoyed a huge bowl of porridge which she said was creamy and delicious and although I did not try them myself, the cooked breakfasts looked really good.

The hotel is situated in a beautiful regency building on a stunning square of Cheltenham with a green park in the middle, it is very peaceful but still close to the town centre.

Room Tip: Make sure to get an updated room and avoid room 20!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Lauraballerina
clarence99, Owner at Clarence Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

Thanks for your review I am glad we looked after you and you enjoyed your stay. With regards to rooms. ALL rooms have been refurbished in at least the last 4 years and we generally are always refurbishing a room or some part of the building. All our rooms are individually designed not just 'boxes' Room 20 is in the original grade 2 listed Regency building and is decorated in a classic style and furnished with dark antique furniture in keeping with the age of the building. Room 7 is in the Victorian extension and is very modern in it's design and the furniture is light oak. Personally I prefer room 20 while clearly you prefer the modern design but each to their own, I do however think your assessment of 20 is not at all fair but rather personal taste.

Finally if you have read this or other reviews and you know we do not have a lift then if you have any difficulty with stairs for any reason or if you have any preference to room style do call us on 01242 580411 or send us an email (enquiries@clarencecourthotel.com) and we will do our best to make sure you get a room that suits you personally. (You will also get a better price coming to us direct!) Regards Chris

Reviewed 16 September 2011

I had booked a single room at the last minute, via Late rooms.com. On arrival i was really impressed with the outside of the beautiful building, later discovered it used to owned by the Duke of Wellington. Another great surprise was that i had been offered a free upgrade to an amazing room. very large, massive doubel bed great furnishings and a lovely clean and modern bathroom. Very large bath and seperate shower cubicle. The brekfast room/restaurant was also amazingly decorated and the breakfast was perfect. i will definitely be returning for pleasure along with my wife overall 10/10 Superb.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 September 2011

5 of us stayed here for 2 nights as part of a running trip which started & finished in Cheltenham.
Our rooms were nicely decorated and looked to have been recently decorated. We ate in the hotels restaurant on the first night of our stay - really lovely thin and tasty pizzas. Breakfast next morning was really good - and set us up well for our trip. Staff were very helpful and pleasant.
When we returned 3 days later our bags had been stored away safely and our rooms were ready - we even had our room upgraded to a suite on the top floor a lovely room with views out over the square. Very comfortable beds too. All in all a very nice place to stay - nice and quiet too. Will be back for a longer visit to see more of Cheltenham.

Room Tip: Top floor suite has nice big room with 2 sofas and big bath.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends