“A little disappointing”

Clarence Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I booked this hotel mainly because of its great reviews here and felt it didn't quite live up to expectations.
I only stayed 1 night and didn't have a meal, the room and hotel generally was clean and of a good standard.
My bathroom looked very modern but the shower did not have any hot water! The heat controls were not very clear (typical for modern designs) but I tried every option and could not get the water to heat up. Having been out for a run I had no option but to have a cold shower and the messing around meant that I was too late to sample the breakfast! When I handed my key in I was not asked if I had enjoyed my stay or had any issues.
This is by no means a bad hotel and I am sure my experience is an isolated incident but I did feel it was worth putting some balance to the mostly positive reviews.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mawfortyone
clarence99, Owner at Clarence Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Hi Mawfortyone

Thanks for your review. I am really sorry that we did not ask you if you enjoyed your stay when you checked out, this would be our normal standard and it would have really helped us to know which room you had the problem with in order that we could investigate further. We have recently updated our hot water supply and will certainly monitor this very carefully to indentify if this was an isolated incident or something which needs addressing. Regards Chris.

Reviewed 21 September 2012

Wonderful small hotel true to its origins and set in a quiet leafy square within a five minute walk of the centre. Friendly and helpful staff and superb food all freshly cooked to order. Rooms warm, spacious and clean with fabulously comfortable beds.
If you're contemplating a trip to Cheltenham, stay nowhere else but the Clarence Court!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are huge and with lovely views over the leafy square.
Reviewed 18 September 2012

My wife & I stayed there for 1 night and can honestley say that it was the best stay ever in a UK hotel!!
We were that impressed that we invited freinds to join us for an evening meal, Guess what- The food was supurb and the service was excellent too.
Everything from the room, to the quality of the food served for breakfast was great!!
We even felt sorry for some freinds who were stopping elsewhere in cheltenham over the same weekend.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We stayed 2 nights oin September 2012. Booked via booking.com and received an immediate cal from hotel confirming type of room.

Good points:

We booked a superior double room and this was large and comfortable.
Bed super size and very comfortable
Bathroom mostly very clean
Breakfast was excellent for both days
Staff - helpful and friendly

Not so good:

Shower cublicle door would not shut properly and areas around sealant needed some attention. Some evidence of minor mould build-up. We mentioned this to the hotel management and they will sort this out.

Bar was often unmanned and needed a trip upstairs to reception to order a drink.

Without this - we would have given this hotel a 5 star rating.

Reviewed 16 September 2012

We had two rooms at the Clarence Court on 14 September. As requested, one was on the ground floor to suit those members of a party who would have been challenged by the stairs. The upstairs room, looking over the square, was very nice indeed.

The hotel was clean throughout. Service was very friendly and responsive. The restaurant downstairs was also excellent, far exceeding expectations.

Parking immediately outside. A bit tricky to find, but that's a function of the one-way system than the hotel itself.

Reviewed 25 August 2012

We stayed for a short trip in Cheltenham and the hotel and staff were brilliant.
They were very welcoming with lots of local information for me and my partner.
The hotel is within walking distance to the town centre (5 mins or so) and also within a short walking distance of The Brewery (food and cinema place).
The rooms are very well kept and tastefully decorated. The TV's also play DVD's and there is a selection available in the reception for free.
Room (12) was large and the bed was too.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We stayed 2 nights in August 2012. For the price, our room (room 19) was a little dissappointing. It was very hot the weekend we stayed and although the room had a fan, there was no air con and in addition our room seemed to have hot pipes under the carpet which resulted in our room being hotter than the temperature outside - most uncomfortable to sleep in!

We were very tired following a long journey but were kept awake late into the night by the sound of someone stacking the tables and chairs from the restaurant and then chaining them together. The sound of the chain being looped through every single table and chair seemed to go on forever. The second night was quieter. The beds were very comfy actually, although l hate two large singles that have been bolted together and then called a 'King'.

The tea/coffee provision was measley and there was no complimentary water in the room. The bathroom was TINY and surpirisingly there was no hand soap provided. There was nowhere to put anything in the bathroom. The shower had a soap dish that was raised in the middle and designed in a way that prevented you storing the little complimentary shower gel bottles etc on it - quite mad! The shower had no door/curtain meaning it could be considered a 'wet room' but in reality meant that in the course of a normal shower, water went everywhere. Horrible plastic cups wrapped in film were also provided. Breakfast the first day was swimming with grease but was better on the second day.

On a positive note the staff were very pleasant (particulary the lovely man from Canada) and both the room and bathroom were very clean. The hotel is located near some nice green parks/lakes and we used it as a good base to tour the Coltswolds. Nice selection of free dvd's to borrow from reception and the staff were very helpful. Overall if the price had been lower l would have been satisfied, but as it was - not good value for money.

Room Tip: Room 19 overlooks the car park and is very hot.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank laura t
clarence99, Owner at Clarence Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Dear Miss Turrell

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you were disappointed with your room, I do wish that you had made us aware of this in order that we could have tried to remedy any issues.

I am glad that you found the beds comfortable, we do use zip and link beds and I agree that if not managed properly then you will feel a join in the mattresses, because of this we do bolt them together and we use thick luxury toppers so that you can not feel the join of the mattresses when they are sold as a king-sized bed.

I am sorry that the tea and coffee provided was not sufficient we would happily have given you more if you had requested it. I am afraid we do not advertise or offer air-conditioning or complimentary mineral water. We introduced the plastic glasses about 6 months ago as we had a number of glasses broken in sinks which was dangerous for both guests and housekeeping, personally I do not like the plastic but we have had positive feedback and yours in the first negative comment about them. We will continue to review this.

Lastly I have noted your comment about value, you booked through lastminute who take a large commission from us so the price we were paid was far smaller than you paid because of this we increase the price to agents to cover the commission we pay, to all readers PLEASE PLEASE book direct for the best price!!

Regards