“Made our holiday”

Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Brisbane, Australia
“Made our holiday”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We had planned to stay in Bath during our holiday around Europe, but due to a football game we were not able to get any accomodation for the Saturday night so we decided to unexpectable stop in Cheltenham. Booked accomodation via booking.com and within 1.5hrs we were at the hotel and what a great surprise. Beautiful building, lovely location close to the city centre. We were made to feel very welcome, especially our 6yr old, which was lovely. Room was large, spacious, beautifully decorated, clean and comfortably. And just the architecture that we are loving about our holiday. Dinner was fantastic. Best food we have had in England so far. Owner was lovely and a true hospitality expert. Thanks so much for a lovely stay. Would definitly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Such a shame! The hotel is in a great position close to everything and opposite a lovely park. Potentially a great place to stay and it looks great on the net! I booked for my mum's birthday and having had chemotherapy she was very excited about her first trip away for 9 months! The hotel is 'shabby' and somewhat neglected. My mum had a superior double, which was large but dirty and depressing. I had a standard double, which was so small that I had to walk sideways to get round the bed!
In my room there was black mould all round the grout on the bath and the noise from outside was unbearable at night! The noise wasn't from traffic or fans, but from the restaurant below, where one of the staff was entertaining some American guests!
We used the restaurant and I was dismayed that the manager put my mum under great pressure to drink alcohol and took the micky when she insisted on having a blackcurrant and soda water! He was also confrontational when the soup was sent back to be heated up more, insisting that it was 'piping hot'! It wasn't at all! To be fair, the meal was good all in all; the steaks were lovely! Breakfast was also ok, although the fruit was past its best! The chef is very pleasant!
Value for moneywise I think that the hotel is charging far too much when it is in such a bad state. The superior room was £90 per night for single occupancy; the standard £74.50. These are reasonable prices for good quality accommodation, not for this hotel!
The worst of it was that we had to come home a day early, as my mum became ill. I explained to the owner that she had had chemotherapy etc. but he insisted that I pay in full for the two rooms for the night we weren't staying. I'm not after anything for nothing, but this seemed a little harsh!
The hotel has a lot of potential but is in need of a major revamp and a bit of love! Very disappointed with what should have been a wonderful break for my mother and I!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank margaret g
clarence99, Owner at Clarence Court Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Well, all I can really do is refer the reader to our other reviews. This lady was upset because she had to leave a night early due to her Mother’s health. When she told us she was leaving her rooms had already been serviced, the hotel was full on that night and we had already turned other enquiries down. I explained that I was really sorry but we would have to make a charge as we would now have 2 rooms empty (10% of the hotel), but as it was an emergency she could claim on her travel insurance and I would help her in any way I could to claim the money back.

Ms Gretton told me everything had been lovely and they were really sorry to go but her Mother was very unwell and she hoped that she would return in the future. (she even took my business card to call me direct when she wanted to re-book!) There was no mention at all of the very surprising points that she has raised, a complete shock to us.

For the record a Small double was booked not a standard double hence the room being small. The booking was made direct on the phone and our confirmation is very clear as to the cancellation policy and we remind guests to make sure that they have travel insurance in place for the unexpected.

Traveller Tip. Annual Travel insurance is very cheap, hotels cannot insure against their guests leaving early or needing to cancel last minute, but guests can insure themselves so please make sure that you have a policy in place which gives you the cover you need in the event of the unexpected
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I stayed for one night while playing in a sports tournament in Cheltenham. The room was fairly small (well, in fairness it was advertised as a "small double"), but spotlessly clean and pleasantly furnished. Very comfortable bed and an unusually well-stocked tray of hot drink sachets. Lovely building in a quiet "regency" square, just a few minutes' walk from the town centre. A genuinely friendly welcome, and an excellent breakfast, served with a smile! I'd definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The square is very quiet, so I doubt whether any room would suffer noise problems.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tony E
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

First time staying here but it was excellent, we had a lovely room at the top of the house (four flights of stairs) good work out after breakfast which is down another floor. The staff were charming especially as we slept so well that we were late for breakfast and were very obviously last, they were absolutely great still cooking us a full english, the portions are overwhelmingly large. The room had a huge bed, gorgeous and two large sofa beds no complaints on comfort from anyone and a really lovely bathroom and shower. We feel that we could not have done any better

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights from the last weekend of June whilst on business with 2 work colleagues. I was booked I. To one of the larger rooms which was very good with plenty of space and a great bed. Scott and the rest of the small team were all absolutely fantastic with nothing being too much trouble. In fact I had to spend an extra night unplanned and although there was no rooms available, Scott phoned through to a nearby B&B for me. If I am in Cheltenham again in the future this will be the hotel I would pick - along with their restaurant ( see my review). A thoroughly enjoyable stay with great staff, a great ambience in the bar area with Scott being an absolute asset to the hotel. Many thanks for a great stay

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We enjoyed everything about our stay, wonderful clean room amazing breakfasts and the Joules Restaurant was very nice indeed, fab food. Scott made us feel very welcome very sad to leave. The bathrooms were spacious and clean which is great for families of 4 we will go back.

• Stayed August 2013
East Aurora, NY USA
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This is my second two week stay on a business trip - first in July - now August. I've never been treated so kindly by a hotel staff. Scott and Sophie make this an extension of your home! The service is out of this world, as is the food. We've eaten outside / inside and in the bar area. Bennie's bar-bq ribs are to die for - simply delicious! If you're in Cheltenham and want to be pampered, go to the Clarence Court Hotel and let Scott and Sophie pamper you! Dave Pienta

Room Tip: I've been in two different rooms and both were very nice.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business