“Friendly and Welcoming”

Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Walney Island
“Friendly and Welcoming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

If you are looking for five star accommodation then this hotel is not for you.But what you will get is a warm and friendly welcome, good comfortable rooms,suprisingly good food all managed by smiling attentive staff.Stopped off twice here with extended family ( including children and dogs) and we were made to feel really welcome.,and after a lifetime of staying in anonymous hotels it was great.

Room Tip: Stayed in three different rooms,all ok,but it is worth paying the small extra to upgrade to a superi...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ian R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Tel Aviv District, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff.
Spacious room.
Comfortable beds.
The food was excellent but took a long time to arrive at breakfast and at dinner too.
Good location and parking.
Would love a safe in the room.
Would love a small fridge in the room

Room Tip: We had the family room which was very big and nicely decorated.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Oren L
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed for 1 night in a small double room at this hotel on 12th August 2014. I paid £64 in advance.

The position of the Clarence Court is good - just a 10 minute walk from the town centre. Parking looks to be adequate but you may be disappointed if you arrive late. There are meters in the Square but it looked to be busy. There is a bigger car park about a quarter of a mile or so away.

The outside of the hotel is pretty ordinary and the reception area not much better - although this was brightened up by the positive welcome of the duty staff. The management looks to have done the best that it can with the rooms ........ but it is an old building and there are limits. I would rate my general room at about 2 1/2 star but the bathroom was pretty new (which also seemed to be the case with my two colleagues' rooms) and I would rate that at c.3 1/2. Overall, roughly a 3 star offering. My room was clean.

The Bar and Breakfast room are in the Basement and are in better order than the other public areas that I saw in the hotel. The Breakfast was good and the staff cheerful and attentive which is all that I need in the morning. The sausages were not to my personal taste but we all have our preferences.

The hotel clientele was predominantly mature couples on the night of my stay but a look in the Visitors Book suggested that a fair number of international visitors are also users. Early movement in the car park also indicated some commercial usage.

In my view, the Clarence Court is not somewhere to choose if you need to hang around the hotel quite a bit during your stay. It is perfectly adequate for a quiet night's sleep and Breakfast and at £64 per night represents very good value for money. I would certainly stay there again (and probably will).

Room Tip: Try to get one of the bigger rooms.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank ygor705
London UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed last weekend for one night. I chose Clarence Court based on the TripAdvisor recommendations and I wasn't disappointed at all. I wish I had booked it for the whole weekend.

It is in a great central location, plenty of parking, smart guest rooms rooms (particularly the bathroom), lovely small bar downstairs. I didn't try the restaurant in the evening, only for breakfast which was very nice and freshly cooked. Most of all the staff were very friendly and welcoming.

We needed to be out of the hotel early on the Saturday morning and we were told by the person who checked us in that breakfast was only served from 8am and nothing earlier, yet in the room the information states a continental breakfast can be provided earlier if needed. Why couldn't he have told me that. Also the room was very hot so I struggled to sleep even with the windows open.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel surpassed all our expectations. Beautiful older property, tastefully renovated but so much character still remaining. Fabulous location, minutes walk into town centre. Huge comfortable bed and pillows, great bathroom. Didn't have dinner due to late heavy lunch but had glass of wine in bar surrounded by glorious food odours, wish we could have found room for food. Breakfast was superb, fresh buffet and the best full English breakfast we have had in years! Delightful staff and absolute peace and quiet. We will be returning ASAP.

Room Tip: Only saw ours, but it was perfect. Might be a minor problem for the unfit!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Beaverton, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Pros- Adequate space in room, clean and functional, secure.
Good hearty breakfast. Better WiFi than most B&B's, guest houses or small hotels we have been to. Off street parking. Very friendly and accommodating staff.

Cons- no lift and we were on the third/top floor, very loose door handles give an impression that the room is not secure.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
hertfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Lovely location with onsite parking. We stayed on 3rd floor (there are no lifts so there are steep steps up to the next level - top floor). Lovely views of square, the room was very comfortable especially the pillows. The room does have dark matching décor although I personally like light colours, a small sofa and chest of draws although we didn't use these. Photos attached. There is tea and coffee making facilities although our kettle poured out very quick I pointed this out on check out. We stayed for two nights but we were so busy with our own itinerary that we didn't have time to check out the shops or local area. We had room 18 and the bathroom with shower was of a good size as this room was the superior double room. Our Air Con was a fan which we used throughout our stay (unusual for the UK but we've had hot weather with warm evenings) so this really helped as it was a warm room. Towels in bathroom with shampoo, soap and bath miniatures (although I would have expected a little more being a superior double) complimentary fizzy mineral water (I'd prefer still but that's my choice). Free Wi-Fi was also available very easy to connect on to. The room was clean however there was quite a bit of dust in areas shown up by the sunshine (can't be helped I suppose but then I'm very fussy on things like that). Staff attended promptly to our needs. We used the restaurant on our first evening and the food was fantastic especially the homemade ravioli with prawn and crab. We would stay again but there is such a huge choice of accommodation in the area you're really spoilt for choice. The room was quiet and the breakfast was a full English with a cold buffet selection, perhaps more choice with fresh breakfast juice with more variety of fruit (but then I'm used to the large Hotel chains with huge buffet choice selection) so in comparison this is smaller. Coffee is perculated which isn't a choice I'd make so perhaps expansion on types of coffee would be a plus. But overall a pleasant stay and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Room 18 was a superior double, lovely décor and fantastic bathroom with bath and shower (although th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple